computer keeps turning itself off.

Hello,

My computer keeps shutting itself off... it seems
to happen when I'm using the mouse a lot (i.e.
clicking the mouse buttons quickly). Preceding the
occurrence of the shutoff, first the CPU fan
speeds up and at the same time the computer
freezes completely, next there is a second long
pause where nothing happens (the fan is still
running fast) and then the computer shuts off.

I think I've noticed it happen in Excel, in
Photoshop and various other programs. I can't find
a common thread other than that it's when I'm
using the mouse a lot. My computer can run for
days and days without problems if I don't touch
the mouse. I may be able to use the computer
normally for some time before this happens, or it
can happen soon after I've booted up. I've tried
to reduce the number of concurrent programs
running, but this doesn't seem to affect it either
way. I've monitored my CPU and motherboard temps,
but they don't seem particularly high.

The only thing that I keep thinking MIGHT be going
on, though I can't seem to get the problem to
reoccur when I want it, is the CPU might be
semi-busy when I start clicking the mouse a lot
(image manipulation for instance, or Excel).

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?

Here's what's in my computer:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Socket-A Motherboard

AMD AthlonXP 2500+(1833Mhz)CPU - 333Mhz Front
Side Bus

300watt Power Supply

Zalman CNPS6000-Cpu cooler

1 @ 512Mb - 184pin - DDR 333Mhz/PC2700 non-ECC
SDRAM DIMM (I don't know the manufacturer)

Maxtor - 120GB - Ultra ATA133 - 7200rpm - 8MB
cache Hard Drive (6Y120P0) running operating
system and programs.

Currently as a backup stripped RAID array:

Seagate - "Barracuda 7200.7" -120GB - SATA -
7200rpm - Hard drive (ST3120026AS)
Seagate - "Barracuda 7200.7" -120GB - SATA -
7200rpm - Hard drive (ST3120026AS)

NVIDIA - GEFORCE 4 TI4200 - 64Mb DDR - 8X AGP
Video Card

Zoom Telephonics 56K PCI Internal V.92/V.90
(model 3025)

Plextor PX-708A DVD drive

Windows 2000 Professional (upgrade)

Floppy drive (Teac)

Kent_Diego

I have an older computer with similar system. A few of the capacitors on the
motherboard are defective and are bulging. I suggest you closely examine
your motherboard.

-Kent

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:25:31 GMT, Ski <pjagninski@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My computer keeps shutting itself off... it seems
>to happen when I'm using the mouse a lot (i.e.
>clicking the mouse buttons quickly). Preceding the
>occurrence of the shutoff, first the CPU fan
>speeds up and at the same time the computer
>freezes completely, next there is a second long
>pause where nothing happens (the fan is still
>running fast) and then the computer shuts off.
>
>I think I've noticed it happen in Excel, in
>Photoshop and various other programs. I can't find
>a common thread other than that it's when I'm
>using the mouse a lot. My computer can run for
>days and days without problems if I don't touch
>the mouse. I may be able to use the computer
>normally for some time before this happens, or it
>can happen soon after I've booted up. I've tried
>to reduce the number of concurrent programs
>running, but this doesn't seem to affect it either
>way. I've monitored my CPU and motherboard temps,
>but they don't seem particularly high.
>
>The only thing that I keep thinking MIGHT be going
>on, though I can't seem to get the problem to
>reoccur when I want it, is the CPU might be
>semi-busy when I start clicking the mouse a lot
>(image manipulation for instance, or Excel).
>
>Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?

Most likely your processor is cooking itself to Heaven...

A 300W PSU is very weak for all that hardware. Check the voltages on the
12V, 5V and 3.3V rails while the system is busy. I'd say you needed a good
quality 400W + PSU to reliably run that system.

"Ski" <pjagninski@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My computer keeps shutting itself off... it seems
> to happen when I'm using the mouse a lot (i.e.
> clicking the mouse buttons quickly). Preceding the
> occurrence of the shutoff, first the CPU fan
> speeds up and at the same time the computer
> freezes completely, next there is a second long
> pause where nothing happens (the fan is still
> running fast) and then the computer shuts off.
>
> I think I've noticed it happen in Excel, in
> Photoshop and various other programs. I can't find
> a common thread other than that it's when I'm
> using the mouse a lot. My computer can run for
> days and days without problems if I don't touch
> the mouse. I may be able to use the computer
> normally for some time before this happens, or it
> can happen soon after I've booted up. I've tried
> to reduce the number of concurrent programs
> running, but this doesn't seem to affect it either
> way. I've monitored my CPU and motherboard temps,
> but they don't seem particularly high.
>
> The only thing that I keep thinking MIGHT be going
> on, though I can't seem to get the problem to
> reoccur when I want it, is the CPU might be
> semi-busy when I start clicking the mouse a lot
> (image manipulation for instance, or Excel).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?
>

> Here's what's in my computer:
>
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe Socket-A Motherboard
>
> AMD AthlonXP 2500+(1833Mhz)CPU - 333Mhz Front
> Side Bus
>
> 300watt Power Supply
>
> Zalman CNPS6000-Cpu cooler
>
> 1 @ 512Mb - 184pin - DDR 333Mhz/PC2700 non-ECC
> SDRAM DIMM (I don't know the manufacturer)
>
> Maxtor - 120GB - Ultra ATA133 - 7200rpm - 8MB
> cache Hard Drive (6Y120P0) running operating
> system and programs.
>
> Currently as a backup stripped RAID array:
>
> Seagate - "Barracuda 7200.7" -120GB - SATA -
> 7200rpm - Hard drive (ST3120026AS)
> Seagate - "Barracuda 7200.7" -120GB - SATA -
> 7200rpm - Hard drive (ST3120026AS)
>
> NVIDIA - GEFORCE 4 TI4200 - 64Mb DDR - 8X AGP
> Video Card
>
> Zoom Telephonics 56K PCI Internal V.92/V.90
> (model 3025)
>
> Plextor PX-708A DVD drive
>
> Windows 2000 Professional (upgrade)
>
> Floppy drive (Teac)

Paul

Splendid

In article <c6aa39$mdc$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "BigBadger"
<big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> A 300W PSU is very weak for all that hardware. Check the voltages on the
> 12V, 5V and 3.3V rails while the system is busy. I'd say you needed a good
> quality 400W + PSU to reliably run that system.

Try running 3DMark2001se, either in benchmark or in demo mode.
If the computer shuts down, without you even moving the mouse
while the demo is running, that might point to PSU power.

HTH,
Paul

john

Splendid