Losing wireless connection several times a day

My pc is unable to maintain a connection to my wireless network. It also
seems to be random. Sometimes the icon shows a good connection but it is not
possible to connect to the internet. Repairing does not work - sometimes it
is unable to acquire an IP address. The only thing that always works, is
restarting the pc. This is not something we want to be doing several times a
day. Today I have changed over to Windows XP managing our Netgear wireless
adaptor, rather than Netgear's own software. This resulted is even more
connection drops, although several times I was able to reconnect by
rightclicking the icon, choosing view available networks, clicking ours, then
connect and it did!! However, not always.
We have Windows XP with SP2 downloaded with no problems several weeks before
installing the wireless adaptor. Our router is an Apple Airport Extreme Base
Station which is working flawlessly with my iBook - has never dropped the
connection since setting up the network four weeks ago.
I am assuming this is a software issue, and believe that Microsoft is going
to provide a fix in the next Service Pack (from the support web site). Is
this correct, and when can we expect to see a fix?
Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Explained in detail here:

http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp

Carey

"bridgarw" <threegar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My pc is unable to maintain a connection to my wireless network. It also
> seems to be random. Sometimes the icon shows a good connection but it is
> not
> possible to connect to the internet. Repairing does not work - sometimes
> it
> is unable to acquire an IP address. The only thing that always works, is
> restarting the pc. This is not something we want to be doing several
> times a
> day. Today I have changed over to Windows XP managing our Netgear
> wireless
> adaptor, rather than Netgear's own software. This resulted is even more
> connection drops, although several times I was able to reconnect by
> rightclicking the icon, choosing view available networks, clicking ours,
> then
> connect and it did!! However, not always.
> We have Windows XP with SP2 downloaded with no problems several weeks
> before
> installing the wireless adaptor. Our router is an Apple Airport Extreme
> Base
> Station which is working flawlessly with my iBook - has never dropped the
> connection since setting up the network four weeks ago.
> I am assuming this is a software issue, and believe that Microsoft is
> going
> to provide a fix in the next Service Pack (from the support web site). Is
> this correct, and when can we expect to see a fix?
> Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Thank you. I will try the fix.

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Explained in detail here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp
>
> Carey
>
> "bridgarw" <threegar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > My pc is unable to maintain a connection to my wireless network. It also
> > seems to be random. Sometimes the icon shows a good connection but it is
> > not
> > possible to connect to the internet. Repairing does not work - sometimes
> > it
> > is unable to acquire an IP address. The only thing that always works, is
> > restarting the pc. This is not something we want to be doing several
> > times a
> > day. Today I have changed over to Windows XP managing our Netgear
> > wireless
> > adaptor, rather than Netgear's own software. This resulted is even more
> > connection drops, although several times I was able to reconnect by
> > rightclicking the icon, choosing view available networks, clicking ours,
> > then
> > connect and it did!! However, not always.
> > We have Windows XP with SP2 downloaded with no problems several weeks
> > before
> > installing the wireless adaptor. Our router is an Apple Airport Extreme
> > Base
> > Station which is working flawlessly with my iBook - has never dropped the
> > connection since setting up the network four weeks ago.
> > I am assuming this is a software issue, and believe that Microsoft is
> > going
> > to provide a fix in the next Service Pack (from the support web site). Is
> > this correct, and when can we expect to see a fix?
> > Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Well, that wireless zero configuration thing explains why my connection was
dropping so many times after I switched over to Windows XP control of our
Netgear wireless adaptor!! Switched back to Netgear software control
straight after reading the article Carey.

I have solved my problem - it was the firewall! After adding my network
ip's to the trusted zone, was able to reconnect to the network without
restarting the pc! Should have thought of the firewall days ago!!!

bridgarw

"bridgarw" wrote:

> Thank you. I will try the fix.
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
> > Explained in detail here:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp
> >
> > Carey
> >
> > "bridgarw" <threegar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > My pc is unable to maintain a connection to my wireless network. It also
> > > seems to be random. Sometimes the icon shows a good connection but it is
> > > not
> > > possible to connect to the internet. Repairing does not work - sometimes
> > > it
> > > is unable to acquire an IP address. The only thing that always works, is
> > > restarting the pc. This is not something we want to be doing several
> > > times a
> > > day. Today I have changed over to Windows XP managing our Netgear
> > > wireless
> > > adaptor, rather than Netgear's own software. This resulted is even more
> > > connection drops, although several times I was able to reconnect by
> > > rightclicking the icon, choosing view available networks, clicking ours,
> > > then
> > > connect and it did!! However, not always.
> > > We have Windows XP with SP2 downloaded with no problems several weeks
> > > before
> > > installing the wireless adaptor. Our router is an Apple Airport Extreme
> > > Base
> > > Station which is working flawlessly with my iBook - has never dropped the
> > > connection since setting up the network four weeks ago.
> > > I am assuming this is a software issue, and believe that Microsoft is
> > > going
> > > to provide a fix in the next Service Pack (from the support web site). Is
> > > this correct, and when can we expect to see a fix?
> > > Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Great! Glad to hear you got it resolved! Thanks for following up!