No Drive Letter for USB Drive?

I have a new Dell Inspirion notebook computer that does
not assign a drive letter to USB drives when they are
inserted. I get popup messages that the device was found
and a disk drive but there it doesn't open up an explorer
like when I insert the drive on my desktop.

I can look in the device manager and see a generic
storage device under Disk Drives but there's no way to
access it?
7 answers Last reply
More about drive letter drive

    Are these flash drives or hard drives or optical ?

    If flash drives do you have a card in the drive (reader).
    Do you have the flash or hard drives formatted.

    See what disk management (right click My Computer icon,
    select manage) show?

    "Bob Boyd" <bob@planetboyd.com> wrote in message
    | I have a new Dell Inspirion notebook computer that does
    | not assign a drive letter to USB drives when they are
    | inserted. I get popup messages that the device was found
    | and a disk drive but there it doesn't open up an explorer
    | like when I insert the drive on my desktop.
    |
    | I can look in the device manager and see a generic
    | storage device under Disk Drives but there's no way to
    | access it?

    >Are these flash drives or hard drives or optical ?
    Flash

    >If flash drives do you have a card in the drive (reader).
    Yes
    >Do you have the flash or hard drives formatted.
    Yes, I can read the card on another workstation

    >See what disk management (right click My Computer icon,
    >select manage) show?

    It doesn't list the drive anywhere... very strange, I see
    it go through all the steps like my other machine except
    after it pops up the disk drive message, it doesn't open
    up explorer or give me a list of options.

    I not sure about this. I have no idea how flash drivers are
    formated. I could be totally wrong about this.

    If you flash drive is formated with 2000 ntfs, xp may not be able to
    read it correctly and visa versa. I would back up the data on the
    flash drive. Then reformat it as fat32 drive.

    Brian C

    >On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:24:55 -0700, "bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >>Are these flash drives or hard drives or optical ?
    >Flash
    >
    >>If flash drives do you have a card in the drive (reader).
    >Yes
    >>Do you have the flash or hard drives formatted.
    >Yes, I can read the card on another workstation
    >
    >>See what disk management (right click My Computer icon,
    >>select manage) show?
    >
    >It doesn't list the drive anywhere... very strange, I see
    >it go through all the steps like my other machine except
    >after it pops up the disk drive message, it doesn't open
    >up explorer or give me a list of options.

    you need to assign a letter to it.

    right click on "My computer"/click on "Manage"
    click "+" next storage/click on "Disk Management"
    locate the drive in the bottom right pane
    right click in the "White" area
    click "Change drive letter and..."

    Windows XP will automatically read and convert Windows 2000 NTFS drives.

    BTW: Most removable media can not be formatted NTFS. Only able to use FAT
    or FAT32.

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:50:26 -0700, "Bob Boyd" <bob@planetboyd.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a new Dell Inspirion notebook computer that does
    >not assign a drive letter to USB drives when they are
    >inserted. I get popup messages that the device was found
    >and a disk drive but there it doesn't open up an explorer
    >like when I insert the drive on my desktop.
    >
    >I can look in the device manager and see a generic
    >storage device under Disk Drives but there's no way to
    >access it?

    Make sure any spare drive letters are not disabled and thus not
    allowing windows to allocate one. Check with Tweakui to see if
    extra drive letters are free (look in My Computer, Drives section).

    Peter Hutchison
    Windows FAQ
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

    "Bob Boyd" <bob@planetboyd.com> wrote in message
    > I have a new Dell Inspirion notebook computer that does
    > not assign a drive letter to USB drives when they are
    > inserted. I get popup messages that the device was found
    > and a disk drive but there it doesn't open up an explorer
    > like when I insert the drive on my desktop.
    >
    > I can look in the device manager and see a generic
    > storage device under Disk Drives but there's no way to
    > access it?

    With the device connected, right click on My Computer and select Manage. On
    the following screen, click on Disk Management. It should now show up on the
    right hand side of the screen..... assign it a drive letter.

    Marcus

Windows XP