Random Loss Of Graphics

RJ

Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang. No
BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
though the monitor turned off.

My system is as follows:

Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
420W PSU
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with cooling fans)
IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.

I have recently replaced the Graphics Card (Formerly Leadtek GeForce 4
4800SE), PSU (Formerly unbranded 350w) and the Corsair Memory is new too. I
have all the latest drivers installed from each of the manufacturers but
just can't seem to shake this problem.

I'm left thinking it's A) The Motherboard or B) A driver issue?

Any ideas?

TIA

RJ

On Sat, 1 May 2004 03:43:14 +0100, "RJ" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
>itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang. No
>BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
>though the monitor turned off.
>
>My system is as follows:
>
>Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
>1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
>MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
>ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
>420W PSU
>Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
>Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with cooling fans)
>IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
>Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.
>
>I have recently replaced the Graphics Card (Formerly Leadtek GeForce 4
>4800SE), PSU (Formerly unbranded 350w) and the Corsair Memory is new too. I
>have all the latest drivers installed from each of the manufacturers but
>just can't seem to shake this problem.
>
>I'm left thinking it's A) The Motherboard or B) A driver issue?
>
>Any ideas?

Check the monitor cable itself, is it securely connected to back of
PC?
Take monitor lead out and make sure non of the pins are bent?!

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/