Request for advise: A78NX Deluxe, CPU Ugrade

Am runing the version 2, A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP 2600 CPU and two 512
DDR SDRAM in dual channel mode. This combo only lets me run the FSB at 166
rather than than 200. As I understand it, I can upgrade to the AMD XP 3200
and run FSB at 200. Question is, does this gain me any appreciable
performance increase? New CPU seems to go for about $170. Then again, will
this MB run with any of the newer Athlon 64 CPU's if willing to go the cost
of one of them, and is it worth the investment relative to any performance
gain? I ask this second question only because the MB user manual indicates
it will run with Athlon 3200 or higher cpu's. Intuitively, I have doubt
this board will accept the Athlon 64. Serious comments and responses are
invited to respond and in doing so, assist my education which got behind the
power curve due to long illness. Thanks, Bill.

Dano

No, the Athlon64's will NOT run on the A7N8X MB's. These use totally
different MB Chipsets.

If you want some more performance, why not overclock your system up to a
200MHx FSB? You'll need DDR400 memory, and if you CPU is unlocked, you can
tweak the multiplier down should you run into stability issues. This is a
lot cheaper than $170, assuming you have the fast memory already (which
you'd need for the 3200 anyway.)

"Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> Am runing the version 2, A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP 2600 CPU and two 512
> DDR SDRAM in dual channel mode. This combo only lets me run the FSB at
166
> rather than than 200. As I understand it, I can upgrade to the AMD XP
3200
> and run FSB at 200. Question is, does this gain me any appreciable
> performance increase? New CPU seems to go for about $170. Then again,
will
> this MB run with any of the newer Athlon 64 CPU's if willing to go the
cost
> of one of them, and is it worth the investment relative to any performance
> gain? I ask this second question only because the MB user manual
indicates
> it will run with Athlon 3200 or higher cpu's. Intuitively, I have doubt
> this board will accept the Athlon 64. Serious comments and responses are
> invited to respond and in doing so, assist my education which got behind
the
> power curve due to long illness. Thanks, Bill.

peter

You did not specify what speed your memory is..166? 200?
Also the deluxe comes in 2 revisions version 2 has the 400(200x2) FSB chipset
What have you got??
I am running the ver2 with 400ram and a Barton 2500.With this combination I can
OC beyond 200FSB but I have it set at 200x11 without any problems and good
moderate temps.
peter
"Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> Am runing the version 2, A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP 2600 CPU and two 512
> DDR SDRAM in dual channel mode. This combo only lets me run the FSB at 166
> rather than than 200. As I understand it, I can upgrade to the AMD XP 3200
> and run FSB at 200. Question is, does this gain me any appreciable
> performance increase? New CPU seems to go for about $170. Then again, will
> this MB run with any of the newer Athlon 64 CPU's if willing to go the cost
> of one of them, and is it worth the investment relative to any performance
> gain? I ask this second question only because the MB user manual indicates
> it will run with Athlon 3200 or higher cpu's. Intuitively, I have doubt
> this board will accept the Athlon 64. Serious comments and responses are
> invited to respond and in doing so, assist my education which got behind the
> power curve due to long illness. Thanks, Bill.

Buy a Mobile 2500XP
I'm running one in an A7N8X-E Deluxe a 12.5x200fsb with PC3200 ram
"DanO" <danogorchockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> No, the Athlon64's will NOT run on the A7N8X MB's. These use totally
> different MB Chipsets.
>
> If you want some more performance, why not overclock your system up to a
> 200MHx FSB? You'll need DDR400 memory, and if you CPU is unlocked, you
can
> tweak the multiplier down should you run into stability issues. This is a
> lot cheaper than $170, assuming you have the fast memory already (which
> you'd need for the 3200 anyway.)
>
> "Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> > Am runing the version 2, A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP 2600 CPU and two
512
> > DDR SDRAM in dual channel mode. This combo only lets me run the FSB at
> 166
> > rather than than 200. As I understand it, I can upgrade to the AMD XP
> 3200
> > and run FSB at 200. Question is, does this gain me any appreciable
> > performance increase? New CPU seems to go for about $170. Then again,
> will
> > this MB run with any of the newer Athlon 64 CPU's if willing to go the
> cost
> > of one of them, and is it worth the investment relative to any
performance
> > gain? I ask this second question only because the MB user manual
> indicates
> > it will run with Athlon 3200 or higher cpu's. Intuitively, I have doubt
> > this board will accept the Athlon 64. Serious comments and responses
are
> > invited to respond and in doing so, assist my education which got behind
> the
> > power curve due to long illness. Thanks, Bill.

I am running a rev.104 of this mobo, which won't do 200FSB.

However, with an XP2500-M, mine is quite happily running at 2263Mhz (181 x
12.5) which is more than a XP3200. Idle temp is 34C at 1.6vcore.
--
Doug Ramage

"peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> You did not specify what speed your memory is..166? 200?
> Also the deluxe comes in 2 revisions version 2 has the 400(200x2) FSB
chipset
> What have you got??
> I am running the ver2 with 400ram and a Barton 2500.With this combination
I can
> OC beyond 200FSB but I have it set at 200x11 without any problems and good
> moderate temps.
> peter
> "Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> > Am runing the version 2, A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP 2600 CPU and two
512
> > DDR SDRAM in dual channel mode. This combo only lets me run the FSB at
166
> > rather than than 200. As I understand it, I can upgrade to the AMD XP
3200
> > and run FSB at 200. Question is, does this gain me any appreciable
> > performance increase? New CPU seems to go for about $170. Then again,
will
> > this MB run with any of the newer Athlon 64 CPU's if willing to go the
cost
> > of one of them, and is it worth the investment relative to any
performance
> > gain? I ask this second question only because the MB user manual
indicates
> > it will run with Athlon 3200 or higher cpu's. Intuitively, I have doubt
> > this board will accept the Athlon 64. Serious comments and responses
are
> > invited to respond and in doing so, assist my education which got behind
the
> > power curve due to long illness. Thanks, Bill.

why wont your 1.4 do 200fsb? Mine does.

"Doug Ramage" <namxat666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am running a rev.104 of this mobo, which won't do 200FSB.
>
> However, with an XP2500-M, mine is quite happily running at 2263Mhz (181 x
> 12.5) which is more than a XP3200. Idle temp is 34C at 1.6vcore.
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> "peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> > You did not specify what speed your memory is..166? 200?
> > Also the deluxe comes in 2 revisions version 2 has the 400(200x2) FSB
> chipset
> > What have you got??
> > I am running the ver2 with 400ram and a Barton 2500.With this
combination
> I can
> > OC beyond 200FSB but I have it set at 200x11 without any problems and
good
> > moderate temps.
> > peter
> > "Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> > > Am runing the version 2, A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP 2600 CPU and two
> 512
> > > DDR SDRAM in dual channel mode. This combo only lets me run the FSB
at
> 166
> > > rather than than 200. As I understand it, I can upgrade to the AMD XP
> 3200
> > > and run FSB at 200. Question is, does this gain me any appreciable
> > > performance increase? New CPU seems to go for about $170. Then
again,
> will
> > > this MB run with any of the newer Athlon 64 CPU's if willing to go the
> cost
> > > of one of them, and is it worth the investment relative to any
> performance
> > > gain? I ask this second question only because the MB user manual
> indicates
> > > it will run with Athlon 3200 or higher cpu's. Intuitively, I have
doubt
> > > this board will accept the Athlon 64. Serious comments and responses
> are
> > > invited to respond and in doing so, assist my education which got
behind
> the
> > > power curve due to long illness. Thanks, Bill.

I wish I knew. :(

Even on a rev 2 board, it can be a bit of a lottery.
--
Doug Ramage

"Blaedmon" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> why wont your 1.4 do 200fsb? Mine does.
>
> "Doug Ramage" <namxat666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am running a rev.104 of this mobo, which won't do 200FSB.
> >
> > However, with an XP2500-M, mine is quite happily running at 2263Mhz (181
> > 12.5) which is more than a XP3200. Idle temp is 34C at 1.6vcore.
> > --
> > Doug Ramage
> >
> > "peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> > > You did not specify what speed your memory is..166? 200?
> > > Also the deluxe comes in 2 revisions version 2 has the 400(200x2) FSB
> > chipset
> > > What have you got??
> > > I am running the ver2 with 400ram and a Barton 2500.With this
> combination
> > I can
> > > OC beyond 200FSB but I have it set at 200x11 without any problems and
> good
> > > moderate temps.
> > > peter
> > > "Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> > 512
> at
> > 166
XP
> > 3200
> again,
> > will
> > cost
> > performance
> > indicates
> doubt
> > are
> behind
> > the

I'd say it was ram related or psu, one of either. Bad ram can bite a systems
ass fairly hard.

> I wish I knew. :(
>
> Even on a rev 2 board, it can be a bit of a lottery.
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> "Blaedmon" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> > why wont your 1.4 do 200fsb? Mine does.
> >
> > "Doug Ramage" <namxat666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running a rev.104 of this mobo, which won't do 200FSB.
> > >
> > > However, with an XP2500-M, mine is quite happily running at 2263Mhz
(181
> > > 12.5) which is more than a XP3200. Idle temp is 34C at 1.6vcore.
> > > --
> > > Doug Ramage
> > >
> > > "peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
FSB
> > > chipset
> > combination
> > > I can
> > good
> two
> > > 512
FSB
> > at
> > > 166
AMD
> XP
> > > 3200
> > again,
> > > will
> the
> > > cost
> > > performance
> > > indicates
> > doubt
> > > are
> > behind
> > > the

PSU is an Enermax is 365AX. RAM is PC3200 from Crucial and TwinMOS (not used
together).

So unlikely to be either. Others have suggested better Northbridge cooling.

I am resigned to it. :)

I have bought a DFI LanParty mobo which should cure this. Plus an Asus PC-DL
de luxe for my main dual Xeon m achine.