5.25 floppy drive not found

I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

Mike

Splendid

Go into BIOS at startup and select the appropriate floppy drive..

"TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some
settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

Yes, I did that and it still did not find the drive?

----- Mike wrote: -----

Go into BIOS at startup and select the appropriate floppy drive..

"TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some
settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

papa

Did you go into the BIOS and change the setting which allows the 5.25 inch
floppy to be used?

"TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some
settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

yes

----- Papa wrote: -----

Did you go into the BIOS and change the setting which allows the 5.25 inch
floppy to be used?

"TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy drive (to
burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are there some
settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

papa

Take a look into the Device Manager and see if it lists the 5.25 floppy
drive. Also put a bootable floppy in your 5.25 floppy drive and see if it
boots. Make sure you have specified the appropriate 5.25 in your BIOS -
there are choices within that particular size. Did you assign the 5.25 as a
B drive? Is it listed on the screen as you boot up (before going into
Windows)?

Finally, are you sure that the 5.25 drive is functional, and are you using
formatted disks?

Good luck.

> yes
>
> ----- Papa wrote: -----
>
> Did you go into the BIOS and change the setting which allows the 5.25
inch
> floppy to be used?
>
> "TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy
drive (to
> burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are
there some
> settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and no floppy drive.
I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy drive
I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct size)
When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25 drive back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.

Thanks,
TG

----- Papa wrote: -----

Take a look into the Device Manager and see if it lists the 5.25 floppy
drive. Also put a bootable floppy in your 5.25 floppy drive and see if it
boots. Make sure you have specified the appropriate 5.25 in your BIOS -
there are choices within that particular size. Did you assign the 5.25 as a
B drive? Is it listed on the screen as you boot up (before going into
Windows)?

Finally, are you sure that the 5.25 drive is functional, and are you using
formatted disks?

Good luck.

"TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes
>> ----- Papa wrote: -----
>> Did you go into the BIOS and change the setting which allows the 5.25
inch
> floppy to be used?
>> "TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy
drive (to
> burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are
there some
> settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

TG, you might want check and make sure youe floppy cable is properly seated at both ends.

I do not believe that the 5.25 drives are not supported in XP.

> Yes, I did that and it still did not find the drive?
>
> ----- Mike wrote: -----
>
> Go into BIOS at startup and select the appropriate floppy drive..
>
> "TG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just purchased a new computer and installed my old 5.25 floppy
drive (to
> burn old data to CD) and windows XP did not find the drive? Are
there some
> settings so that the floppy drive will be found?

You know Yves I think your absolutely, dead on, right. I don't why I didn't see that? I was thinking 3.25 innch floppy. I haven't even seen a 5.25 floppy, since about 1987.

papa

You are correct. See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article 309623.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309623

"marken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You know Yves I think your absolutely, dead on, right. I don't why I
didn't see that? I was thinking 3.25 innch floppy. I haven't even seen a
5.25 floppy, since about 1987.

papa

Actually, you can read and write to them in XP. You just can't format them.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> You are correct. See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article
309623.

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309623
>
> "marken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You know Yves I think your absolutely, dead on, right. I don't why I
> didn't see that? I was thinking 3.25 innch floppy. I haven't even seen a
> 5.25 floppy, since about 1987.

On Sat, 1 May 2004 07:41:02 -0700, "TG"

>I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and no floppy drive.
>I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy drive
>I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct size)
>When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
>I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25 drive back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.

Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

papa

"Peter Hutchison" <pjhutch@NOSPAM.plus.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 07:41:02 -0700, "TG"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and no
floppy drive.
> >I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy
drive
> >I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct
size)
> >When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
> >I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25 drive
back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.

> Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.
>
> Peter Hutchison
> Windows FAQ
> http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

Not quite true. XP does not support formatting 5.25 inch floppies, but it
will allow reads and writes.

See: Floppy Disk Formats That Are Supported in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309623&Product=winxp

Windows XP supports the following floppy disk formats:
1.44 megabyte (MB) 3.5" floppy disk (read, write, format)
720 kilobyte (KB) 3.5" floppy disk (read, write only)
1.2MB 5.25" floppy disk (read, write only) <-----
360KB 5.25" floppy disk (read, write only) <-----

Peter Hutchison wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 07:41:02 -0700, "TG"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and no floppy drive.
>>I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy drive
>>I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct size)
>>When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
>>I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25 drive back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.
>>

> Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.
>
> Peter Hutchison
> Windows FAQ
> http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

whiteman

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Papa Wrote:
> "Peter Hutchison" pjhutch@NOSPAM.plus.com wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 07:41:02 -0700, "TG"
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>
> I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and
> no
> floppy drive.
> I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy
> drive
> I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct
> size)
> When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
> I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25
> drive
> back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.
>
> Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.
>
> Peter Hutchison
> Windows FAQ
> http://www.pcguru.plus.com/
>
> Not quite true. XP does not support formatting 5.25 inch floppies, but
> it
> will allow reads and writes.

Thought you might be intrested. Tried to install a 5.25" 1.2Mb drive
under XP and the only way XP would recognize and show the drive in
explorer was if the 3.5" drive was connected as well. Again the BIOS
had to be correctly set A: 3.5" 1.44mb b: 5.25" 1.2mb.

--
Whiteman

Sounds like a misplaced jumper or BIOS setting to me.

r.

"Whiteman" <Whiteman.1hoxh1@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Papa Wrote:
>> "Peter Hutchison" pjhutch@NOSPAM.plus.com wrote in message
>> On Sat, 1 May 2004 07:41:02 -0700, "TG"
>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>>
>> I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and
>> no
>> floppy drive.
>> I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy
>> drive
>> I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct
>> size)
>> When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
>> I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25
>> drive
>> back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.
>>
>> Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.
>>
>> Peter Hutchison
>> Windows FAQ
>> http://www.pcguru.plus.com/
>>
>> Not quite true. XP does not support formatting 5.25 inch floppies, but
>> it
>> will allow reads and writes.
>
> Thought you might be intrested. Tried to install a 5.25" 1.2Mb drive
> under XP and the only way XP would recognize and show the drive in
> explorer was if the 3.5" drive was connected as well. Again the BIOS
> had to be correctly set A: 3.5" 1.44mb b: 5.25" 1.2mb.
>

> --
> Whiteman

MS has decided to stop supporting 5 1/4 floppy drives. You can not normally
format the 5 1/4 floppies.

"Whiteman" <Whiteman.1hoxh1@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Papa Wrote:
>> "Peter Hutchison" pjhutch@NOSPAM.plus.com wrote in message
>> On Sat, 1 May 2004 07:41:02 -0700, "TG"
>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>>
>> I looked in device manager and only found the floppy controller, and
>> no
>> floppy drive.
>> I assigned the 5.25 as the A drive, as I disconnected the 3.5 floppy
>> drive
>> I assigned the 5.25 as a 1.2mb drive in the BIOS (this is the correct
>> size)
>> When I put a floppy in the drive it starts to spin, hence has power.
>> I will try the boot idea (it will have to wait, I have put the 5.25
>> drive
>> back into my old computer to do some copying) and it is working fine.
>>
>> Windows XP does not support 5.25" drives.
>>
>> Peter Hutchison
>> Windows FAQ
>> http://www.pcguru.plus.com/
>>
>> Not quite true. XP does not support formatting 5.25 inch floppies, but
>> it
>> will allow reads and writes.
>
> Thought you might be intrested. Tried to install a 5.25" 1.2Mb drive
> under XP and the only way XP would recognize and show the drive in
> explorer was if the 3.5" drive was connected as well. Again the BIOS
> had to be correctly set A: 3.5" 1.44mb b: 5.25" 1.2mb.
>

> --
> Whiteman

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> MS has decided to stop supporting 5 1/4 floppy drives. You can not
> normally format the 5 1/4 floppies.

Legacy devices are controlled by the MB not the OS. Also FAT16 IS FAT16.