Recovery Drive

Hey everybody,

I just got my PC last week and I am trying to create a
recovery disc, but every time I attempt to do it, it says
that I have too much stuff on the recovery drive. I have
uninstalled and deleted a number of extremely large
programs that came on the PC but the size of the drive
doesn't change. The drive is currently at 4.52 GB but I
need to get it down to 4.45 GB. Any tips for how I could
do this?

Thanks.

P.S. My computer won't let me actually access the
recovery drive and have a look at what's on there.
4 answers Last reply
More about recovery drive

    Most PCs do not have a "recovery drive". That is not a feature of XP. XP
    has a feature called system restore, which backsup some system files, but
    not user files nor other program files. It does not save them on a separate
    drive, but in a hidden directory on the main drive.

    However, some PC manufacturers provide a hidden recovery partition, which
    contains an image of the PC on the day they sold it to you. Others include
    software like GOBACK, which makes incremental backups of program and system
    files whenever they are changed, and it may also stores this information on
    a separate partition.

    For this forum to assist you further, you will need to be specific about
    exactly what type of "recovery drive" your PC has,

    "PLEASE HELP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey everybody,
    >
    > I just got my PC last week and I am trying to create a
    > recovery disc, but every time I attempt to do it, it says
    > that I have too much stuff on the recovery drive. I have
    > uninstalled and deleted a number of extremely large
    > programs that came on the PC but the size of the drive
    > doesn't change. The drive is currently at 4.52 GB but I
    > need to get it down to 4.45 GB. Any tips for how I could
    > do this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > P.S. My computer won't let me actually access the
    > recovery drive and have a look at what's on there.

    It's my D drive that is the recovery. The D drive is
    titled, "HP_RECOVERY" when I expand it there is one
    obect, titled, "RECOVERY" but it is locked and I can't
    access it. That's about all I know.

    I just downloaded a program called "Back Up My PC" from the CNET downloads website. This program will compress a full system backup on one or two DVD+RW's or DVD-RW's. From there you just do a backup of the new and replaced files on the same DVD(note: when doing this use the overwrite method as opposed to the append method). It has a 30 day free trial and then it will set you back $70, but worth every penny. I fixing to replace my hard drive with this software during my free trial.

    It is one compressed file and if too large can't burn it one CD. Maybe if
    you have a DVD burner it might fit on a DVD CD. If not, call HP and they may
    send you the recovery on CD's.

    > It's my D drive that is the recovery. The D drive is
    > titled, "HP_RECOVERY" when I expand it there is one
    > obect, titled, "RECOVERY" but it is locked and I can't
    > access it. That's about all I know.

Data Recovery Windows XP