Changed processor - serious problems (also posted in 'comp..

peter

Hi,
I've got a self-built PC that had an Intel P4 2.00GHz 400FSB 256k cache
processor in a Gigabyte GA-PE667 Ultra 2 motherboard, that works really
well, but the processor belogs to another computer and needs to go back. To
replace it, I purchased an Intel P4 2.66GHz 533FSB 512k cache processor, and
now my system has gone 'tit's up'! I'm running WinXP Pro.

The replacement CPU is identified correctly in the BIOS and during the boot
sequence, and gets as far as the little blue scroller, which stops for a
second, I then get a BSOD which isn't there long enough to read, and the
system reboots. I then get the options menu (previous known good
conguration, windows normally, safe mode, etc) but nothing I do makes any
difference. When I replace the 2GHz processor, WinXP insists on a checking
the disk, and then everything works OK until I replace the CPU again!

I have checked the compatibility list for my mobo, and the CPU is supported.

I am tempted to Ghost my drive (with the first CPU in) and try to repair the
WinXP installation (as this is the second CPU to do this, the other one was
a 2.4GHz 533FSB 512k cache), but am reluctant to if it's more likely for the
CPU to be u/s. It was bought second hand, and I will try it on another PC
before I do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

kawipoo

Have you checked in the bios what your actual bus speed is? Have you also
checked to see what your CPU multiplier is and agrees with CPU and bus
speed?
"Peter" <peter-forums@slinky-computing.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've got a self-built PC that had an Intel P4 2.00GHz 400FSB 256k cache
> processor in a Gigabyte GA-PE667 Ultra 2 motherboard, that works really
> well, but the processor belogs to another computer and needs to go back.
> replace it, I purchased an Intel P4 2.66GHz 533FSB 512k cache processor,
and
> now my system has gone 'tit's up'! I'm running WinXP Pro.
>
> The replacement CPU is identified correctly in the BIOS and during the
boot
> sequence, and gets as far as the little blue scroller, which stops for a
> second, I then get a BSOD which isn't there long enough to read, and the
> system reboots. I then get the options menu (previous known good
> conguration, windows normally, safe mode, etc) but nothing I do makes any
> difference. When I replace the 2GHz processor, WinXP insists on a
checking
> the disk, and then everything works OK until I replace the CPU again!
>
> I have checked the compatibility list for my mobo, and the CPU is
supported.

> I am tempted to Ghost my drive (with the first CPU in) and try to repair
the
> WinXP installation (as this is the second CPU to do this, the other one
was
> a 2.4GHz 533FSB 512k cache), but am reluctant to if it's more likely for
the
> CPU to be u/s. It was bought second hand, and I will try it on another PC
> before I do.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Peter

Do you have the Gigabyte mobo manual?

What does it say about CPU changes and BIOS setting? Have
you updated the BIOS?

"Kawipoo" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
| Have you checked in the bios what your actual bus speed
is? Have you also
| checked to see what your CPU multiplier is and agrees with
CPU and bus
| speed?
| "Peter" <peter-forums@slinky-computing.com> wrote in
message
| > Hi,
| > I've got a self-built PC that had an Intel P4 2.00GHz
400FSB 256k cache
| > processor in a Gigabyte GA-PE667 Ultra 2 motherboard,
that works really
| > well, but the processor belogs to another computer and
needs to go back.
| > replace it, I purchased an Intel P4 2.66GHz 533FSB 512k
cache processor,
| and
| > now my system has gone 'tit's up'! I'm running WinXP
Pro.

| > The replacement CPU is identified correctly in the BIOS
and during the
| boot
| > sequence, and gets as far as the little blue scroller,
which stops for a
| > second, I then get a BSOD which isn't there long enough
to read, and the
| > system reboots. I then get the options menu (previous
known good
| > conguration, windows normally, safe mode, etc) but
nothing I do makes any
| > difference. When I replace the 2GHz processor, WinXP
insists on a
| checking
| > the disk, and then everything works OK until I replace
the CPU again!

| > I have checked the compatibility list for my mobo, and
the CPU is
| supported.
| >
| > I am tempted to Ghost my drive (with the first CPU in)
and try to repair
| the
| > WinXP installation (as this is the second CPU to do
this, the other one
| was
| > a 2.4GHz 533FSB 512k cache), but am reluctant to if it's
more likely for
| the
| > CPU to be u/s. It was bought second hand, and I will
try it on another PC
| > before I do.
| >
| > Any help would be appreciated.
| >
| > Peter

Hi, and thanks for your suggestions.

As far as I can see, the mobo BIOS automatically selects the appropriate
settings for the processor (I can see this with the speed changes of the
memory when it boots through the POST).

The BIOS has been updated fairly recently, but I'm not sure if this is the
problem, as most of the settings seem to be automatic. As it happens, this
is now moot, as my system was so trashed I've had to reinstall everythiong
from scratch. The trouble is, I'd be afraid to upgrade the processor now -
even a brand new one, inless I ghost the drive first!

Thanks again,

Peter