Will an XP2800 go on A7V333 MoBo (version rev 2.0)?

Hi,

At the moment I have an AMD XP1800 processor and an MSI G4 Ti 4200 (64Mb
memory) graphics card. I have 768Mb DDR-SDRAM memory.

What I want to know is whether my MoBo would take an XP2800 processor? I
was also thinking about getting a ati 9800 pro graphics card. Would they
both work with my MoBo (A7V333 Rev 2.0), and would it be worth it? I plan
to play quite a few of the games coming out in the next few months such as
Half Life 2 and Doom 3 etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:30:59 +0100, "Interesting Ian"
<spam@doubtthouthestarsartfire.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>At the moment I have an AMD XP1800 processor and an MSI G4 Ti 4200 (64Mb
>memory) graphics card. I have 768Mb DDR-SDRAM memory.
>
>What I want to know is whether my MoBo would take an XP2800 processor? I
>was also thinking about getting a ati 9800 pro graphics card. Would they
>both work with my MoBo (A7V333 Rev 2.0), and would it be worth it? I plan
>to play quite a few of the games coming out in the next few months such as
>Half Life 2 and Doom 3 etc.
>
>Thanks for any advice.

Asus shows up to a 3000+ Barton for that board, see here,
http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

I run a Barton 3200+ w/Radeon 9800 Pro 128, fast enough for all of
todays games, not sure about tomorrow. ;p

Ed

"Ed" <nobox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:30:59 +0100, "Interesting Ian"
> <spam@doubtthouthestarsartfire.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >At the moment I have an AMD XP1800 processor and an MSI G4 Ti 4200 (64Mb
> >memory) graphics card. I have 768Mb DDR-SDRAM memory.
> >
> >What I want to know is whether my MoBo would take an XP2800 processor? I
> >was also thinking about getting a ati 9800 pro graphics card. Would they
> >both work with my MoBo (A7V333 Rev 2.0), and would it be worth it? I
plan
> >to play quite a few of the games coming out in the next few months such
as
> >Half Life 2 and Doom 3 etc.
> >
> >Thanks for any advice.
> >

> Asus shows up to a 3000+ Barton for that board, see here,
> http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>
> I run a Barton 3200+ w/Radeon 9800 Pro 128, fast enough for all of
> todays games, not sure about tomorrow. ;p
>
> Ed

Hmmm . .dunno what a Barton is really. Seems I will have to flash my BIOS
though :-(

BTW, a 9800 pro should be getting even lower in price over the next couple
of months with the introduction of this new nvidia card shouldn't it? With
a bit of luck I should be able to get an XP2800 and a 9800pro for £200 :)
That's if I don't destroy my MoBo when flashing the BIOS :-(

Ed

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:34:12 +0100, "Interesting Ian"
<spam@doubtthouthestarsartfire.com> wrote:

>Hmmm . .dunno what a Barton is really. Seems I will have to flash my BIOS
>though :-(

The Barton (Model 10) has 512K L2 cache and runs on a 333 or 400 FSB.
T-Breds (Model 8) have 256K L2 and run on a 266 or 333 FSB.

>BTW, a 9800 pro should be getting even lower in price over the next couple
>of months with the introduction of this new nvidia card shouldn't it? With
>a bit of luck I should be able to get an XP2800 and a 9800pro for £200 :)
>That's if I don't destroy my MoBo when flashing the BIOS :-(

I would expect prices to drop but not any faster then they have been.
With DDR ram prices going sky-hi IOW if video cards/ram is next?

Flashing shouldn't be a problem, just follow Asus's directions for
*your* board.

Ed