Windows XP Pro won't boot after second HD removal

A few eeks ago, I installed a second hard drive on my
computer with Linux on it so I could use both operating
systems. However, I soon recognized this was a big mistake.
Linux couldn't support some of my hardware, especially my
wireless card, so i tried to boot up Windows, and found
that it froze while loading. Today I removed the HD with
Linux on it, leaving only the XP Pro HD. Now, when my
computer is booting, I get an error that says this:
GRUB Hard Disk Error
Yup, Linux wanted to leave me a little surprise. How can I
kill GRUB and get back to Windows? Here is the hard drive info:
Linux Drive:
Quantum Fireball lct 10 series 20GB
XP Drive:
Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM HD
I also have SP1. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Scott Simontis" <ageofscott@comcast.net> wrote in message:

|A few eeks ago, I installed a second hard drive on my
| computer with Linux on it so I could use both operating
| systems. However, I soon recognized this was a big mistake.
| Linux couldn't support some of my hardware, especially my
| wireless card, so i tried to boot up Windows, and found
| that it froze while loading. Today I removed the HD with
| Linux on it, leaving only the XP Pro HD. Now, when my
| computer is booting, I get an error that says this:
| GRUB Hard Disk Error
| Yup, Linux wanted to leave me a little surprise. How can I
| kill GRUB and get back to Windows? Here is the hard drive info:
| Linux Drive:
| Quantum Fireball lct 10 series 20GB
| XP Drive:
| Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM HD
| I also have SP1. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I can't get past the BIOS, so neither will of the LILO
options will work. I have heard of a rescue utility for XP,
but cannot remember its anme. Any ideas?

Supertech

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Hello ,

You have multiple possibilities.

The GRUB error is LINUX so check your BIOS for the proper selection
of the OS and the proper disk drive. It is possible that it has just messed
with the boot info on original disk.

Your full distribution of Windows XP has the repair facilities. OR F8
for safe boot to see what is going on , or if you built the recovery console
on your original system disk.

You need to boot your XP distribution cd then start the install/setup
then there should see the option to "repair or recovery" do the repair it
will take some time. This of course "ASSUMES" that Linux did not destroy to
much on your original system disk. It also assumes that you are the
Administrator and have the password.

Good Luck,

Supertech