Sata question

I have a P4C800-E, with 2-160 gig setup raid 0 on the Intel controller. I
see plextor is coming out with a sata dvd burner capable of 16x burning
speed. I would like to purchase this along with an adapter for my dvd-rom
and install them on the Promise controller. I do not have the Promise
drivers installed as yet. I was wondering if this is possible to do and
what procedures I have to follow. I don't want to screw up what I have now
as everything is running superbly. Tony

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

And exactly how much time would you save by burning, with sata at 16x?
And more importantly would this time saving be productive?

Tony Marcus wrote:
> I have a P4C800-E, with 2-160 gig setup raid 0 on the Intel controller. I
> see plextor is coming out with a sata dvd burner capable of 16x burning
> speed.

Thats pretty quick.

> I would like to purchase this along with an adapter for my dvd-rom
> and install them on the Promise controller.

OK. Be sure to check the the Promise controller supports ATAPI over SATA
and also that the adaptor also supports it.

> I do not have the Promise
> drivers installed as yet. I was wondering if this is possible to do and
> what procedures I have to follow. I don't want to screw up what I have
> now as everything is running superbly. Tony

Should be fine, be sure to check your boot order and what I mentioned above.

Ben