BELKIN WIRELESS PCI NETWORK ADAPTER F5D6000

papa

I am considering purchasing the above Belkin product for my computer because
the price is really low ($12). This Belkin product is the kind in which you
can insert a notebook wireless adapter, and then use that adapter in a
desktop computer.

I happen to have a spare Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter, Model no.
WPC54G version 1.2, and it looks like the Belkin product might be an
inexpensive way to allow me to use the Linksys adapter in a new desktop
computer I recently built. Does anyone know if my Linksys notebook adapter
will fit in the Belkin F5D600, and if it can, will it work OK? I already
have a wireless 4-port router installed for my LAN, and it is being used
successfully with other computers, connected by both wired and wireless.

Thank you.

papa

I have been learning a few things about such adapters. There is no such
thing as a "one size fits all" concept. The adapter must match the notebook
adapter in several ways. For example, my notebook adapter has a 32-bit
Cardbus interface and is not compatible with Type I slots. So the Belkin
device would probably not work.

However, I found another brand that looks like it will do the job. It is
compatible with revision 2 standards (32-bit support), supports Type I, II,
and III card sizes, and has an ejector lever. It is the P111 Extron adapter,
rev. 2.0, which I found on eBay for $19 including shipping.

Once it arrives, I will try it out and post a follow-up.