Andy

Hey guys,

Wonder if you can help, not sure where I should be posting this but hey.

Just got hold of a DFI nforce2 mobo with Soundstorm on it, and the 3d sound
on it is absolute bollocks.

I do only have a 2 speaker setup but still. With UT2004 (or any game
infact) when I activate 3d sound/eax everything sounds all tinny and
basically completely rubbish. I don't for the life of me know what I should
be changing to sort this??

I know it's not supposed to sound like this as I put the same option on with
my SB Live and it sounded great with all the fancy reverbs and echos. But I
couldn't keep it on as for some reason it caused UT to stutter like crazy
(I'm assuming as it didn't support eax2 properly as its quite an old card).

The nforce options are setup for 2 speakers. Not sure what else I should be
fiddling with.

I dunno, is it possibly still thinking it's going through a 5.1 system and
not feeding all relevant sound through the front and only 2 speakers???

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy R

Andy wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Wonder if you can help, not sure where I should be posting this but hey.
>
> Just got hold of a DFI nforce2 mobo with Soundstorm on it, and the 3d
> sound on it is absolute bollocks.
>
> I do only have a 2 speaker setup but still. With UT2004 (or any game
> infact) when I activate 3d sound/eax everything sounds all tinny and
> basically completely rubbish. I don't for the life of me know what I
> should be changing to sort this??

What driver version are you using? It's quite important as many if not most
of the updates are for EAX support in games. The other advice was good, but
while you're at it, grab the nForce chipset drivers as well, install them
and the audio drivers in whatever order you feel, I have pros and cons for
both, but in my experience installing over the top almost always works, if
not, come back to us.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13

> I know it's not supposed to sound like this as I put the same option on
> with my SB Live and it sounded great with all the fancy reverbs and
> echos. But I couldn't keep it on as for some reason it caused UT to
> stutter like crazy (I'm assuming as it didn't support eax2 properly as
> its quite an old card).

I think the Live! did support EAX2, EAX3 is the newest.

> The nforce options are setup for 2 speakers. Not sure what else I should
> be fiddling with.
>
> I dunno, is it possibly still thinking it's going through a 5.1 system and
> not feeding all relevant sound through the front and only 2 speakers???

Unlikely, but if you have an old driver, update first. In the new version
at least (NVMixer) setting 2 speakers disables all surround (inc 5.1)
options.

Ben