A7A266 voltage drop

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I noticed some heat problems with my A7A with a 1200 athlon, it is
about 2 years old, so I cleaned out some dust and started running pc
probe, I noticed my +12 drops to about +7 several times a day, I am
going to upgrade to a new processor, now that every thing is clean the
1.2 run at 52c, with the side off 45c, should I also be shopping for
some new fans or a case and a power supply

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:50:01 GMT, steve <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote:

>I noticed some heat problems with my A7A with a 1200 athlon, it is
>about 2 years old, so I cleaned out some dust and started running pc
>probe, I noticed my +12 drops to about +7 several times a day, I am
>going to upgrade to a new processor, now that every thing is clean the
>1.2 run at 52c, with the side off 45c, should I also be shopping for
>some new fans or a case and a power supply
now I am also getting very high temp spikes on the cpu, just for a
second, and drops in voltage in vcor,e the +3.3v, and+5v,I am not sure
what is messed up this machine has been stable for 2 years

Billh

"steve" <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I noticed some heat problems with my A7A with a 1200 athlon, it is
> about 2 years old, so I cleaned out some dust and started running pc
> probe, I noticed my +12 drops to about +7 several times a day, I am
> going to upgrade to a new processor, now that every thing is clean the
> 1.2 run at 52c, with the side off 45c, should I also be shopping for
> some new fans or a case and a power supply

If you just "started" running PC Probe, that is, you don't know how PC Probe
behaves then Probe is most likely the problem. I have the same setup A7A266,
1.2G processor and Probe frequently gave bad readings. Motherboard Monitor
is much more reliable but it will sometimes get a bad reading.

If you get a couple of readings where the temperature shoots up and back
down it is most likely bad readings. If your heatsink was loose it is very
unlikely it would bond properly such that the temps would drop quickly. When
voltages fail they usually drop and stay that way, yes, I know, not always
true.

Billh

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:12:07 -0400, "billh"
<NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote:

>"steve" <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> I noticed some heat problems with my A7A with a 1200 athlon, it is
>> about 2 years old, so I cleaned out some dust and started running pc
>> probe, I noticed my +12 drops to about +7 several times a day, I am
>> going to upgrade to a new processor, now that every thing is clean the
>> 1.2 run at 52c, with the side off 45c, should I also be shopping for
>> some new fans or a case and a power supply
>
>If you just "started" running PC Probe, that is, you don't know how PC Probe
>behaves then Probe is most likely the problem. I have the same setup A7A266,
>1.2G processor and Probe frequently gave bad readings. Motherboard Monitor
>is much more reliable but it will sometimes get a bad reading.
>
>If you get a couple of readings where the temperature shoots up and back
>down it is most likely bad readings. If your heatsink was loose it is very
>unlikely it would bond properly such that the temps would drop quickly. When
>voltages fail they usually drop and stay that way, yes, I know, not always
>true.
>
>Billh

I went ahead and replaced the power supply since it was just the
standard one that came with the case, the new one is much quieter, I
am glad I changed it, every thing seems stable with mbm program, I
also changed the cpu to the xp 2400, my temp is about 55, that is a
little bit higher than the Athlon 1.2, is that normal.Thanks for the
tip about mbm it is a much better program

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:12:07 -0400, "billh"
> <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote:
>

> >"steve" <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> >> I noticed some heat problems with my A7A with a 1200 athlon, it is
> >> about 2 years old, so I cleaned out some dust and started running pc
> >> probe, I noticed my +12 drops to about +7 several times a day, I am
> >> going to upgrade to a new processor, now that every thing is clean the
> >> 1.2 run at 52c, with the side off 45c, should I also be shopping for
> >> some new fans or a case and a power supply
> >
> >If you just "started" running PC Probe, that is, you don't know how PC
Probe
> >behaves then Probe is most likely the problem. I have the same setup
A7A266,
> >1.2G processor and Probe frequently gave bad readings. Motherboard
Monitor
> >is much more reliable but it will sometimes get a bad reading.
> >
> >If you get a couple of readings where the temperature shoots up and back
> >down it is most likely bad readings. If your heatsink was loose it is
very
> >unlikely it would bond properly such that the temps would drop quickly.
When
> >voltages fail they usually drop and stay that way, yes, I know, not
always
> >true.
> >
> >Billh
> >
> I went ahead and replaced the power supply since it was just the
> standard one that came with the case, the new one is much quieter, I
> am glad I changed it, every thing seems stable with mbm program, I
> also changed the cpu to the xp 2400, my temp is about 55, that is a
> little bit higher than the Athlon 1.2, is that normal.Thanks for the
> tip about mbm it is a much better program

Don't know about the xp2400, but I have same setup (a7a266+1.2GHz Athlon
Tbird), and the temperatures you cite are identical to what I've always
gotten: 47 to 55C, depending of course on ambient room temperature, with the
PCI bus fully populated and two high speed SCSI drives. The a7a266 has a
reputation for running on the warm side, but I've had this setup for 3 years
now with zero problems, so the temperature issue seems to make little
difference, at least over the period that you're likely to have a given CPU
installed. I've also noticed spikes in voltage and fan speed readings,
recorded either by MBM, AsusProbe, or the bios itself -- but I think the
itself, and the spikey data are just transient artifacts that do not
persist. I finally removed all the monitoring software. HTH--