2 soundcards on one motherboard?

I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run out
of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so that I an
use its input, will I run into problems, using the two soundcards at the
same time?
9 answers Last reply
More about soundcards motherboard

    it is called a conflict....put a "Y" adapter on and do it that way

    Why don't you go to Radio Shack (or some equilivent store) and get some "Y"
    cables, and use them?

    Ted

    "Greysky" <greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
    out
    > of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so that I
    an
    > use its input, will I run into problems, using the two soundcards at the
    > same time?

    Windows allows you to have multiple audio devices, but all too often, they
    don't get along.

    Unfortunately for you, the onboard sound only has two settings, Auto and
    Disabled. Auto will only enable it if it doesn't detect a sound card, and
    disabled with obviously disable it. So it's lose-lose for you.

    Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be shorted
    together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the output of
    my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the Rat shack
    and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either audio input,
    but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...

    Greysky

    > Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be shorted
    > together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the output
    of
    > my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the Rat
    shack
    > and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either audio input,
    > but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...

    I use a Y adapter to output both to my TV (TV out) and to my speakers.
    Doesn't affect the sound of either (not usually using both at once).

    "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
    | "Greysky" <greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    | > Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be
    shorted
    | > together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the
    output
    | of
    | > my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the
    Rat
    | shack
    | > and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either
    audio input,
    | > but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...
    |
    | I use a Y adapter to output both to my TV (TV out) and to my
    speakers.
    | Doesn't affect the sound of either (not usually using both at once).

    supplying an output signal to 2 different high impedance input
    circuits is not the same as connecting to output signals together and
    supplying the "combined" signal to a single input.

    If you really want to go to the hassle of doing this, a simple op amp
    circuit can be used to isolate yet combine 2 audio frequency signals.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Greysky wrote:

    > I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
    > out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
    > that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
    > soundcards at the same time?

    I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra inputs
    on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.

    A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
    connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
    and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
    free.

    /Icebiker

    "Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
    > Greysky wrote:
    >
    > > I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
    > > out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
    > > that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
    > > soundcards at the same time?
    >
    > I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra
    inputs
    > on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.
    >
    > A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
    > connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
    > and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
    > free.
    >
    > /Icebiker

    roflmao!
    I thought I was the only one! I needed the input for my tvtuner card.
    Although I have an external SB Extigy that I might try as well.

    --

    Good Luck!
    BB

    "Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
    > Greysky wrote:
    >
    > > I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
    > > out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
    > > that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
    > > soundcards at the same time?
    >
    > I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra
    inputs
    > on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.
    >
    > A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
    > connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
    > and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
    > free.

    That's actually a really good idea. Audigy card probably comes with Aux,
    Aux2 etc. on the card.

Asus Motherboards Sound Cards