Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 soundcards on one motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 26, 2004 12:56:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run out
of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so that I an
use its input, will I run into problems, using the two soundcards at the
same time?

More about : soundcards motherboard

April 26, 2004 12:56:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

it is called a conflict....put a "Y" adapter on and do it that way
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2004 1:13:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Why don't you go to Radio Shack (or some equilivent store) and get some "Y"
cables, and use them?

Ted





>> I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have
>> run out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound
>> chip, so that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using
>> the two soundcards at the same time?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2004 4:24:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Greysky" <greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:7CVic.1342$5T1.957@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
out
> of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so that I
an
> use its input, will I run into problems, using the two soundcards at the
> same time?

Windows allows you to have multiple audio devices, but all too often, they
don't get along.

Unfortunately for you, the onboard sound only has two settings, Auto and
Disabled. Auto will only enable it if it doesn't detect a sound card, and
disabled with obviously disable it. So it's lose-lose for you.
April 27, 2004 5:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be shorted
together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the output of
my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the Rat shack
and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either audio input,
but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...

Greysky


"Ted Brewer" <theob2@nospam.wi.rr.com> wrote in message
news:7SVic.41699$lS2.29454@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> Why don't you go to Radio Shack (or some equilivent store) and get some
"Y"
> cables, and use them?
>
> Ted
>
>
>
>
>
> >> I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have
> >> run out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound
> >> chip, so that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using
> >> the two soundcards at the same time?
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2004 4:18:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Greysky" <greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:W4jjc.41422$rR7.40514@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
> Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be shorted
> together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the output
of
> my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the Rat
shack
> and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either audio input,
> but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...

I use a Y adapter to output both to my TV (TV out) and to my speakers.
Doesn't affect the sound of either (not usually using both at once).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2004 4:18:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
news:c6kftd$cors4$1@ID-108208.news.uni-berlin.de...
| "Greysky" <greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
| news:W4jjc.41422$rR7.40514@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
| > Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be
shorted
| > together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the
output
| of
| > my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the
Rat
| shack
| > and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either
audio input,
| > but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...
|
| I use a Y adapter to output both to my TV (TV out) and to my
speakers.
| Doesn't affect the sound of either (not usually using both at once).
|
|

supplying an output signal to 2 different high impedance input
circuits is not the same as connecting to output signals together and
supplying the "combined" signal to a single input.

If you really want to go to the hassle of doing this, a simple op amp
circuit can be used to isolate yet combine 2 audio frequency signals.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 1:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Greysky wrote:

> I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
> out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
> that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
> soundcards at the same time?

I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra inputs
on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.

A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
free.

/Icebiker
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 1:59:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
news:c6n0ip$26s$1@news.eusc.inter.net...
> Greysky wrote:
>
> > I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
> > out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
> > that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
> > soundcards at the same time?
>
> I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra
inputs
> on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.
>
> A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
> connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
> and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
> free.
>
> /Icebiker

roflmao!
I thought I was the only one! I needed the input for my tvtuner card.
Although I have an external SB Extigy that I might try as well.

--

Good Luck!
BB
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 3:50:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
news:c6n0ip$26s$1@news.eusc.inter.net...
> Greysky wrote:
>
> > I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
> > out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
> > that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
> > soundcards at the same time?
>
> I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra
inputs
> on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.
>
> A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
> connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
> and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
> free.

That's actually a really good idea. Audigy card probably comes with Aux,
Aux2 etc. on the card.
!