HP dds3 tape drive issue

a b α HP
May 2, 2004 1:54:49 AM

I have brought a tape drive which will not mount the tape in windows xp
backup software but it will work using HP tape diagnostics and I can test
with a 4.3GB test package so the tape is working but I dont know what the
dip switches need to be set to as it does not have a manual and the PDF file
from HP wont download
any ideas
Kevin

More about : dds3 tape drive issue

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 2, 2004 1:54:50 AM

The dips switches are unique for each model of tape drive. Please post your
model.

BTW: You also need to install a Windows XP compatible SCSI drive, since
most DDS tape drives need this card as the interface.

Y.

"Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I have brought a tape drive which will not mount the tape in windows xp
> backup software but it will work using HP tape diagnostics and I can test
> with a 4.3GB test package so the tape is working but I dont know what the
> dip switches need to be set to as it does not have a manual and the PDF
file
> from HP wont download
> any ideas
> Kevin

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 2, 2004 1:54:51 AM

OOPS!! The should be SCSI host adapter/interface. I "gaffed" when typing
my response.

Y.

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> The dips switches are unique for each model of tape drive. Please post
your
> model.
>
> BTW: You also need to install a Windows XP compatible SCSI drive, since
> most DDS tape drives need this card as the interface.
>
> Y.
>
> "Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I have brought a tape drive which will not mount the tape in windows xp
> > backup software but it will work using HP tape diagnostics and I can
test
> > with a 4.3GB test package so the tape is working but I dont know what
the
> > dip switches need to be set to as it does not have a manual and the PDF
> file
> > from HP wont download
> > any ideas
> > Kevin

a b α HP
May 2, 2004 12:03:27 PM

its a HP1555d but I can test it using HP's library & tape tools software I
have since found the dip switches and it's set for normal pc's but when you
try and backup software report as follows
Backup Status
The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.
but straight after this you can test the drive using 4gb of test data using
the HP tests
Kevin

----------------------
> OOPS!! The should be SCSI host adapter/interface. I "gaffed" when typing
> my response.
>
> Y.
>

> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > The dips switches are unique for each model of tape drive. Please post
> your
> > model.
> >
> > BTW: You also need to install a Windows XP compatible SCSI drive, since
> > most DDS tape drives need this card as the interface.
> >
> > Y.
> >
> > "Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > I have brought a tape drive which will not mount the tape in windows
xp
> > > backup software but it will work using HP tape diagnostics and I can
> test
> > > with a 4.3GB test package so the tape is working but I dont know what
> the
> > > dip switches need to be set to as it does not have a manual and the
PDF
> > file
> > > from HP wont download
> > > any ideas
> > > Kevin

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 2, 2004 3:24:20 PM

Then, is could be that the XP backup may not support the drive. I do
believe that Stomp Backup MyPC may support the DDS3 drives.

> its a HP1555d but I can test it using HP's library & tape tools software
> have since found the dip switches and it's set for normal pc's but when
you
> try and backup software report as follows
> Backup Status
> The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.
> but straight after this you can test the drive using 4gb of test data
using
> the HP tests
> Kevin
>
> ----------------------
> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > OOPS!! The should be SCSI host adapter/interface. I "gaffed" when
typing
> > my response.
> >
> > Y.
> >

> > "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > The dips switches are unique for each model of tape drive. Please
post
> > your
> > > model.
> > >
> > > BTW: You also need to install a Windows XP compatible SCSI drive,
since
> > > most DDS tape drives need this card as the interface.
> > >
> > > Y.
> > >
> > > "Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> xp
> > test
> > the
> PDF
> > > file

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 3, 2004 2:14:28 PM

thanks for that Stomp software does support my drive but I am a going to try
and contact Microsoft as I don't see why I need to buy $69 worth of software
to correct Mr Bill Gates Billionaire software
"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o 2tGNmFMEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Then, is could be that the XP backup may not support the drive. I do
> believe that Stomp Backup MyPC may support the DDS3 drives.
>

> "Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > its a HP1555d but I can test it using HP's library & tape tools
software
> > have since found the dip switches and it's set for normal pc's but when
> you
> > try and backup software report as follows
> > Backup Status
> > The requested media failed to mount. The operation was aborted.
> > but straight after this you can test the drive using 4gb of test data
> using
> > the HP tests
> > Kevin
> >
> > ----------------------
> > "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > OOPS!! The should be SCSI host adapter/interface. I "gaffed" when
> typing
> > > my response.
> > >
> > > Y.
> > >

> > > "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> post
> > > your

> since

> > xp
> > > test
> what
> > > the
> > PDF

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 3, 2004 3:04:51 PM

Slight problem I have a OEM copy of XP so I have to pay for support so might
be cheaper to buy software to backup pc

!