Best performance IDE RAID config?

Dear All,

I have an Asus P4PE motherboard and I would like to setup an IDE RAID
0 (striping) disk configuration. According to the manual there are
three connection options available. Does anyone know, possibly from
experience, which configuration is the fastest?

If I look through all the newsgroups it seems that IDE RAID 0 can be
quite a performance improvement depending on what kind of apps you are
running. I think I have these kind of apps but is it really a huge
difference? How much percentage should I think of? In other words, is
it worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Bart.
PS: The three connection options available for creating a RAID 0 or
RAID 1 array on a P4PE are:

a) Connect one Parallel ATA HDD to PRI_RAID1 connector and one Serial
ATA HDD to either one of the two Serial ATA connectors, using separate
parallel ATA or serial ATA cables

b) Connect one Serial ATA HDD to each Serial ATA connector, using
separate serial ATA cables

c) Connect one Serial ATA HDD to the PRI_RAID1 connector, and one
Serial ATA HDD to either one of the two serial ATA connectors, using
separate parallel/serial ATA cables.
3 answers Last reply
More about best performance raid config

    On a home sys any performance increase is likely to be missed if you blink

    "News@Bart" <News@kooijman.demon.nl> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have an Asus P4PE motherboard and I would like to setup an IDE RAID
    > 0 (striping) disk configuration. According to the manual there are
    > three connection options available. Does anyone know, possibly from
    > experience, which configuration is the fastest?
    >
    > If I look through all the newsgroups it seems that IDE RAID 0 can be
    > quite a performance improvement depending on what kind of apps you are
    > running. I think I have these kind of apps but is it really a huge
    > difference? How much percentage should I think of? In other words, is
    > it worth it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Bart.
    > PS: The three connection options available for creating a RAID 0 or
    > RAID 1 array on a P4PE are:
    >
    > a) Connect one Parallel ATA HDD to PRI_RAID1 connector and one Serial
    > ATA HDD to either one of the two Serial ATA connectors, using separate
    > parallel ATA or serial ATA cables
    >
    > b) Connect one Serial ATA HDD to each Serial ATA connector, using
    > separate serial ATA cables
    >
    > c) Connect one Serial ATA HDD to the PRI_RAID1 connector, and one
    > Serial ATA HDD to either one of the two serial ATA connectors, using
    > separate parallel/serial ATA cables.

    You can also use a sata to ide adapter that goes between a sata cable and an
    IDE drive, fooling the board into thinking you have a serial drive.

    "News@Bart" <News@kooijman.demon.nl> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have an Asus P4PE motherboard and I would like to setup an IDE RAID
    > 0 (striping) disk configuration. According to the manual there are
    > three connection options available. Does anyone know, possibly from
    > experience, which configuration is the fastest?
    >
    > If I look through all the newsgroups it seems that IDE RAID 0 can be
    > quite a performance improvement depending on what kind of apps you are
    > running. I think I have these kind of apps but is it really a huge
    > difference? How much percentage should I think of? In other words, is
    > it worth it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Bart.
    > PS: The three connection options available for creating a RAID 0 or
    > RAID 1 array on a P4PE are:
    >
    > a) Connect one Parallel ATA HDD to PRI_RAID1 connector and one Serial
    > ATA HDD to either one of the two Serial ATA connectors, using separate
    > parallel ATA or serial ATA cables
    >
    > b) Connect one Serial ATA HDD to each Serial ATA connector, using
    > separate serial ATA cables
    >
    > c) Connect one Serial ATA HDD to the PRI_RAID1 connector, and one
    > Serial ATA HDD to either one of the two serial ATA connectors, using
    > separate parallel/serial ATA cables.

    "News@Bart" <News@kooijman.demon.nl> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have an Asus P4PE motherboard and I would like to setup an IDE RAID
    > 0 (striping) disk configuration. According to the manual there are
    > three connection options available. Does anyone know, possibly from
    > experience, which configuration is the fastest?
    >
    > If I look through all the newsgroups it seems that IDE RAID 0 can be
    > quite a performance improvement depending on what kind of apps you are
    > running. I think I have these kind of apps but is it really a huge
    > difference? How much percentage should I think of? In other words, is
    > it worth it?

    A small RAID 0 might be good for your OS drive, and a large RAID 0 for doing
    video capture and processing.

    Other than that you probably don't need it.

Asus NAS / RAID Connection Configuration Motherboards