Help! My P4B won't come back after resetting CMOS RAM

Hi,

I reset the CMOS RAM on my P4B (pull the plug, remove battery, short the RTC
pins, etc.).

Now when I try to boot the machine:

- the screen stays blank
- all the disk lights (floppy, CD and HD) are on
- A rapid chirping sound comes from the speakers. I don't think this is the
CPU overheating signal cause the chirps don't sound like POST beeps.

The manual seems to suggest that you just power the machine up and it should
detect the hardware. Is there some subtlety that I missed, or have I
buggered the MB?

Please help, my son thinks this is a great excuse not to do homework.

/Icebiker
2 answers Last reply
More about help back resetting cmos

    In article <c6hjhf$mb7$1@news.eusc.inter.net>, "Icebiker"
    <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I reset the CMOS RAM on my P4B (pull the plug, remove battery, short the RTC
    > pins, etc.).
    >
    > Now when I try to boot the machine:
    >
    > - the screen stays blank
    > - all the disk lights (floppy, CD and HD) are on
    > - A rapid chirping sound comes from the speakers. I don't think this is the
    > CPU overheating signal cause the chirps don't sound like POST beeps.
    >
    > The manual seems to suggest that you just power the machine up and it should
    > detect the hardware. Is there some subtlety that I missed, or have I
    > buggered the MB?
    >
    > Please help, my son thinks this is a great excuse not to do homework.
    >
    > /Icebiker

    Check that you haven't bumped some of the wiring, like the
    IDE cables for example. Did you put the battery back the
    same way it was originally ? Clearing CMOS should be pretty
    straight forward. Is your CPU heatsink still latched ?

    Paul

    Yeah, I checked all the disk cables, even pulled them out and reseated them.
    The battery is in properly, and I cleaned the contacts.

    I guess I'll pull the box out from under the desk and go through all the
    cables carefully.

    Thanks for the the suggestion, but it looks like I did something really bad.

    /Icebiker

    > In article <c6hjhf$mb7$1@news.eusc.inter.net>, "Icebiker"
    > <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I reset the CMOS RAM on my P4B (pull the plug, remove battery, short the
    RTC
    > > pins, etc.).
    > >
    > > Now when I try to boot the machine:
    > >
    > > - the screen stays blank
    > > - all the disk lights (floppy, CD and HD) are on
    > > - A rapid chirping sound comes from the speakers. I don't think this is
    the
    > > CPU overheating signal cause the chirps don't sound like POST beeps.
    > >
    > > The manual seems to suggest that you just power the machine up and it
    should
    > > detect the hardware. Is there some subtlety that I missed, or have I
    > > buggered the MB?
    > >
    > > Please help, my son thinks this is a great excuse not to do homework.
    > >
    > > /Icebiker
    >
    > Check that you haven't bumped some of the wiring, like the
    > IDE cables for example. Did you put the battery back the
    > same way it was originally ? Clearing CMOS should be pretty
    > straight forward. Is your CPU heatsink still latched ?
    >
    > Paul

Asus RAM CMOS Motherboards