1.5 gigs of Ram, need advise for pagefile please

ME

I have 3.2 gig laptp with 1.5 gigs or ram. Windows set it up at 2046
minimum and 4096c maximum. Does thiseem over kill or should i just let
window manage it without hurting performance. Could letting windows manage
it would help me more than hurt me. lease advise as I want what will do my
system the best, thank you.

--
..

See http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

In article <20040501184146.496$bo@newsreader.com>, <me@here.com> wrote:
>I have 3.2 gig laptp with 1.5 gigs or ram. Windows set it up at 2046
>minimum and 4096c maximum. Does thiseem over kill or should i just let
>window manage it without hurting performance. Could letting windows manage
>it would help me more than hurt me. lease advise as I want what will do my
>system the best, thank you.
>
>--
>.

Is this XP ?

3GB disk and 1.5GB RAM ???? What model laptop ?

You've got to either tell us what applications you run, or use task
manager and perfmon to measure your own requirements. A PC running the
basic apps (MS Office, Internet Explorer, an email client, all at
once, will run just fine in 256MB.)

Since you are short on disk space and long on memory I think you can
cut the swap space back to something like 300MB. Set MIN=MAX and then
do a stand-alone defrag if you can.

XP has a "no swap file" button in controlpanel/system/advanced. I've
never screwed with it but you're welcome to.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

ME

It is a zx 5190us. Comes with 1024, you remove one of the 512 meg sticks
with a Kingston 1 gig and you have 1.5 total. It came with XP Home, cheap
ass HP could not include XP Pro for a 2200.00 notebook?

adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
> In article <20040501184146.496$bo@newsreader.com>, <me@here.com> wrote:
> >I have 3.2 gig laptp with 1.5 gigs or ram. Windows set it up at 2046
> >minimum and 4096c maximum. Does thiseem over kill or should i just let
> >window manage it without hurting performance. Could letting windows
> >manage it would help me more than hurt me. lease advise as I want what
> >will do my system the best, thank you.
> >
> >--
> >.
>
> Is this XP ?
>
> 3GB disk and 1.5GB RAM ???? What model laptop ?
>
> You've got to either tell us what applications you run, or use task
> manager and perfmon to measure your own requirements. A PC running the
> basic apps (MS Office, Internet Explorer, an email client, all at
> once, will run just fine in 256MB.)
>
> Since you are short on disk space and long on memory I think you can
> cut the swap space back to something like 300MB. Set MIN=MAX and then
> do a stand-alone defrag if you can.
>
> XP has a "no swap file" button in controlpanel/system/advanced. I've
> never screwed with it but you're welcome to.

--
..

<me@here.com> wrote...
> It is a zx 5190us. Comes with 1024, you remove one of the 512 meg sticks
> with a Kingston 1 gig and you have 1.5 total. It came with XP Home, cheap
> ass HP could not include XP Pro for a 2200.00 notebook?
>
>>I have 3.2 gig laptp with 1.5 gigs or ram. Windows set it up at 2046
>>minimum and 4096c maximum. Does thiseem over kill or should i just let
>>window manage it without hurting performance.

In general, a fixed-size pagefile will yield better performance than a
variable-size one. Set the min and max to the same value, and reboot.

I don't think 2046MB is overkill, and it is certainly within the range of
reason. "Just because," though, I like to use "even" multiples of 2**n --
2048MB in this case...

Only if you are short on HD space should you need to reduce the pagefile to
less than the amount of physical RAM. You may not need a large pagefile
often, but it's nice to have it there when you're loading up the nth pic
into Photoshop...

In article <20040502141503.785$qe@newsreader.com>, <me@here.com> wrote:
>It is a zx 5190us. Comes with 1024, you remove one of the 512 meg sticks
>with a Kingston 1 gig and you have 1.5 total. It came with XP Home, cheap
>ass HP could not include XP Pro for a 2200.00 notebook?

I haven't heard of a 3GB disk on a new laptop, or anything, for years.

Why did you upgrade the memory ? What applications do you run ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> In article <20040502141503.785$qe@newsreader.com>, <me@here.com>
wrote:
> >It is a zx 5190us. Comes with 1024, you remove one of the 512 meg
sticks
> >with a Kingston 1 gig and you have 1.5 total. It came with XP Home,
cheap
> >ass HP could not include XP Pro for a 2200.00 notebook?
> >

> I haven't heard of a 3GB disk on a new laptop, or anything, for years.
>
> Why did you upgrade the memory ? What applications do you run ?
>

> >adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

> >> Is this XP ?
> >>
> >> 3GB disk and 1.5GB RAM ???? What model laptop ?
> >>
> >> You've got to either tell us what applications you run, or use task
> >> manager and perfmon to measure your own requirements. A PC running
the
> >> basic apps (MS Office, Internet Explorer, an email client, all at
> >> once, will run just fine in 256MB.)
> >>
> >> Since you are short on disk space and long on memory I think you
can
> >> cut the swap space back to something like 300MB. Set MIN=MAX and
then
> >> do a stand-alone defrag if you can.
> >>
> >> XP has a "no swap file" button in controlpanel/system/advanced.
I've
> >> never screwed with it but you're welcome to.
> >
> >--
> >.
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Quote that was snipped:
I have 3.2 gig laptp with 1.5 gigs or ram.

I see this as an Intel 3.2 GHz CPU & 1.5gb RAM,
not a 3.2gb HDD.

A tad confusing?

TTFN,
Dick