white clip for ram broken

I noticed one of the clips for my ddr ram is broken, the little piece
of black plastic on motherboard is broken, any way to repair this.
2 answers Last reply
More about white clip broken

    steve <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:<qlns8016dr93qvj8kancbgr55ovsti2cm5@4ax.com>...
    > I noticed one of the clips for my ddr ram is broken, the little piece
    > of black plastic on motherboard is broken, any way to repair this.

    I think that you're OK. These are ejectors. They provide the leverage
    to pull the DDR SIMM out of the socket. If the one on the other side
    is still working then it will pop out the SIMM far enough so that you
    can grasp it an pull it out.

    A few years ago I was designing a computer system and we were going to
    have a daughter board that plugged into a motherboard. That's OK, no
    problem. However, we needed to have about 1000 wires connecting in the
    sockets. I looked up the mechanical specs for the sockets and I found
    that each pin of the socket required 1OZ of force to insert or extract
    it. Thus, we would need 1000 OZ of extraction force, or about 60
    pounds of force. You need some heavy duty mechanical stuff to generate
    60 pounds of force.

    ab

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:27:53 GMT, steve <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote:

    >I noticed one of the clips for my ddr ram is broken, the little piece
    >of black plastic on motherboard is broken, any way to repair this.

    Most likely not worth the effort. There should be way more than enough
    retention force to keep the dimm in place without either clip, and the
    surviving clip will pretty much guarantee that dimm isn't going anywhere...

    /daytripper

Asus RAM Motherboards