  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 27, 2004 5:27:53 PM

I noticed one of the clips for my ddr ram is broken, the little piece
of black plastic on motherboard is broken, any way to repair this.

More about : white clip ram broken

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2004 8:30:44 PM

steve <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:<qlns8016dr93qvj8kancbgr55ovsti2cm5@4ax.com>...
> I noticed one of the clips for my ddr ram is broken, the little piece
> of black plastic on motherboard is broken, any way to repair this.

I think that you're OK. These are ejectors. They provide the leverage
to pull the DDR SIMM out of the socket. If the one on the other side
is still working then it will pop out the SIMM far enough so that you
can grasp it an pull it out.

A few years ago I was designing a computer system and we were going to
have a daughter board that plugged into a motherboard. That's OK, no
problem. However, we needed to have about 1000 wires connecting in the
sockets. I looked up the mechanical specs for the sockets and I found
that each pin of the socket required 1OZ of force to insert or extract
it. Thus, we would need 1000 OZ of extraction force, or about 60
pounds of force. You need some heavy duty mechanical stuff to generate
60 pounds of force.

ab
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 1:48:37 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:27:53 GMT, steve <1steveh@insightbb.com> wrote:

>I noticed one of the clips for my ddr ram is broken, the little piece
>of black plastic on motherboard is broken, any way to repair this.

Most likely not worth the effort. There should be way more than enough
retention force to keep the dimm in place without either clip, and the
surviving clip will pretty much guarantee that dimm isn't going anywhere...

/daytripper
!