USB flash disk not recognised

I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick. When I plug it in
XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a mass storage or
removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information. Does anybody on
this newsgroup?
My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.
6 answers Last reply
More about flash disk recognised

    Right click on it (in My Computer)in and format it.

    "John G" <johnsgentleman de_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    | I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick.
    When I plug it in
    | XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a
    mass storage or
    | removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
    | The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information.
    Does anybody on
    | this newsgroup?
    | My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.

    Therein lies the problem Jim - it doesn't appear in the "my Computer" list
    of devices.

    > Right click on it (in My Computer)in and format it.

    > "John G" <johnsgentleman de_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick.
    > When I plug it in
    > | XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a
    > mass storage or
    > | removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
    > | The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information.
    > Does anybody on
    > | this newsgroup?
    > | My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.

    How does it appear, when connected, in the Computer Management console in
    Control Panel? (under Administrative, Control Panel)
    "John G" <johnsgentleman de_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick. When I plug it in
    > XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a mass storage or
    > removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
    > The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information. Does anybody on
    > this newsgroup?
    > My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.

    FWIW:
    My 120 GB USB external drive came pre-formatted with FAT32.
    My 128 MB USB flash memory drive came pre-formatted with FAT.....
    If you have a proprietary boxen with an OEM version of XP,
    the drivers may or may not be included.

    > Right click on it (in My Computer)in and format it.

    > "John G" <johnsgentleman de_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick.
    > When I plug it in
    > | XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a
    > mass storage or
    > | removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
    > | The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information.
    > Does anybody on
    > | this newsgroup?
    > | My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.

    "John G" <johnsgentleman de_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick. When I plug it in
    > XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a mass storage or
    > removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
    > The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information. Does anybody on
    > this newsgroup?
    > My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.

    With the device connected, right click on My Computer and select Manage. On
    the following screen, click on Disk Management. It should now show up on the
    right hand side of the screen..... assign it a drive letter.

    Marcus

    Yeah that happens to me too. look at the other drive letters of your cd and floppy drive and any other drives you've got beside c. Use the next letter in the address bar.
    eg: e:/
    You should access the USB drive. Thats as far as i've got. Not sure how to get the icon back but at least you can access it now.

    "John G" wrote:

    > I've just acquired a Shintaro 128meg flash memory stick. When I plug it in
    > XP recognises it only as an "unknown device" rather than a mass storage or
    > removable storage device as I believe it ought to.
    > The Shintaro web site doesn't have any useful information. Does anybody on
    > this newsgroup?
    > My XP installation is fully "service packed" and updated.

Windows XP