USB 2.0 PCI Card Problem

Installed a Belkin 5-Port PCI card in Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.4 GHZ). Via
Device Manager, card is installed, but all new USB entries are still old USB
1.0 There is no Device Mgr entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". I have
all Windows Updates installed (including SP-1). If I go thru "Add New
Hardware" Wizard, and force install the Belkin Driver (newest from Web
site), then it freezes the computer. I want USB 2.0. Any suggestions?
(Also, I didn't find an email support option on the Belkin site.)

"Travis" <txyatesx@msn-net.com> wrote in message
> Installed a Belkin 5-Port PCI card in Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.4 GHZ). Via
> Device Manager, card is installed, but all new USB entries are still old
USB
> 1.0 There is no Device Mgr entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". I have
> all Windows Updates installed (including SP-1). If I go thru "Add New
> Hardware" Wizard, and force install the Belkin Driver (newest from Web
> site), then it freezes the computer. I want USB 2.0. Any suggestions?
> (Also, I didn't find an email support option on the Belkin site.)

Do you see something like USB Enhanced host controller?

Sandman

As JBM reply indicates, the KEY is the word 'enhanced' usb controller in
System properties and you seem to have done everything else correctly, so
this sounds odd. I too, have a Belkin card that works fine..You shouldn't
need any of the Belkin drivers, as XP does all that with Sp1 which you
already did also.

The next best (and safest) thing to do is this.. Scroll down the list of USB
stuff in System properties and DELETE (one at a time) the USB controllers
for whatever else you might have hooked to the card (mouse, keyboard) if you
have them.. I think you have the option to disable them, but don't do that;
Delete them, reboot and let XP recognize, again, what you have connected as
hardware.. I have done this; XP will see all those devices and re-install
all of the drivers etc.. Since you have a newer machine, certainly your BIOS
supports USB 2.0 so that isn't an issue...My PC is older, and slower (1.3
AMD) and i finally got USB 2.0 working after having some problems with a
cheapo USB card some time ago..
spent about 40 bux on the Belkin and bingo, it solved my problem.
"Travis" <txyatesx@msn-net.com> wrote in message
> Installed a Belkin 5-Port PCI card in Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.4 GHZ). Via
> Device Manager, card is installed, but all new USB entries are still old
USB
> 1.0 There is no Device Mgr entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". I have
> all Windows Updates installed (including SP-1). If I go thru "Add New
> Hardware" Wizard, and force install the Belkin Driver (newest from Web
> site), then it freezes the computer. I want USB 2.0. Any suggestions?
> (Also, I didn't find an email support option on the Belkin site.)

Yes. I have "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller". Does that mean USB
2.0?

"JBM" <jmanning95_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Travis" <txyatesx@msn-net.com> wrote in message
> > Installed a Belkin 5-Port PCI card in Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.4 GHZ). Via
> > Device Manager, card is installed, but all new USB entries are still old
> USB
> > 1.0 There is no Device Mgr entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". I
have
> > all Windows Updates installed (including SP-1). If I go thru "Add New
> > Hardware" Wizard, and force install the Belkin Driver (newest from Web
> > site), then it freezes the computer. I want USB 2.0. Any suggestions?
> > (Also, I didn't find an email support option on the Belkin site.)
> >

> Do you see something like USB Enhanced host controller?

fred

Travis,

Yes, Enahanced means USB 2.0!

Fred

Travis wrote:

> Yes. I have "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller". Does that mean USB
> 2.0?
>
> "JBM" <jmanning95_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Travis" <txyatesx@msn-net.com> wrote in message
> > > Installed a Belkin 5-Port PCI card in Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.4 GHZ). Via
> > > Device Manager, card is installed, but all new USB entries are still old
> > USB
> > > 1.0 There is no Device Mgr entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". I
> have
> > > all Windows Updates installed (including SP-1). If I go thru "Add New
> > > Hardware" Wizard, and force install the Belkin Driver (newest from Web
> > > site), then it freezes the computer. I want USB 2.0. Any suggestions?
> > > (Also, I didn't find an email support option on the Belkin site.)
> > >

> > Do you see something like USB Enhanced host controller?

OK. I was confused since the card instructions stated that I should also
have an entry "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device", and both entries are on my wife's
newer computer which came with native USB 2.0. Thanks

<Fred@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> Travis,
>
> Yes, Enahanced means USB 2.0!
>
> Fred
>

> Travis wrote:
>
> > Yes. I have "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller". Does that mean
USB
> > 2.0?
> >
> > "JBM" <jmanning95_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Travis" <txyatesx@msn-net.com> wrote in message
Via
> > > USB
> > have
New
Web

> > > Do you see something like USB Enhanced host controller?

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions. Still have
"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" entry, but no "USB 2.0 Root
Hub Device" entry. I also tried to manually update the driver to
'ousb2hub.sys' (which is the associated driver on my laptop with native
usb2), but that didn't work either. Other posters imply that I'm good to go
as long as I have the "enhanced" entry.

"Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> As JBM reply indicates, the KEY is the word 'enhanced' usb controller in
> System properties and you seem to have done everything else correctly, so
> this sounds odd. I too, have a Belkin card that works fine..You shouldn't
> need any of the Belkin drivers, as XP does all that with Sp1 which you
> already did also.
>
> The next best (and safest) thing to do is this.. Scroll down the list of
USB
> stuff in System properties and DELETE (one at a time) the USB controllers
> for whatever else you might have hooked to the card (mouse, keyboard) if
you
> have them.. I think you have the option to disable them, but don't do
that;
> Delete them, reboot and let XP recognize, again, what you have connected
as
> hardware.. I have done this; XP will see all those devices and re-install
> all of the drivers etc.. Since you have a newer machine, certainly your
BIOS
> supports USB 2.0 so that isn't an issue...My PC is older, and slower (1.3
> AMD) and i finally got USB 2.0 working after having some problems with a
> cheapo USB card some time ago..
> spent about 40 bux on the Belkin and bingo, it solved my problem.
> "Travis" <txyatesx@msn-net.com> wrote in message
> > Installed a Belkin 5-Port PCI card in Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.4 GHZ). Via
> > Device Manager, card is installed, but all new USB entries are still old
> USB
> > 1.0 There is no Device Mgr entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device". I
have
> > all Windows Updates installed (including SP-1). If I go thru "Add New
> > Hardware" Wizard, and force install the Belkin Driver (newest from Web
> > site), then it freezes the computer. I want USB 2.0. Any suggestions?
> > (Also, I didn't find an email support option on the Belkin site.)

Sandman

Travis, I don't knowwhat to tell you at this point, except that, (i am
guessing here) perhaps your mother board doesn't support USB 2.0? it makes
sense to me, but i am not a techie, that you could download the 'enhanced
controller' it could sit on your system, and not be used IF you don't have
the ability to access the USB 2.0 Root Hub, which would impliment the
function. DO you follow me?
The only thing you haven't tried (or have you?) is to carefully physically
remove the Belkin PCI card and re-insert it into the slot.
Before you upgrade with SP1 which enables USB 2.0 support, if you have a USB
2.0 device connected, Windows will indicate that you have a high speed
device connected to a low speed controller with a popup saying this. it
further sez, something like, 'this device will work at a reduced speed eetc
etc'...This persists until you do the SP1 update, which you have done.?????
Are you getting USB1.1 out of the card or nothing?