Max P4 CPU on P4B266-C

I am able to get my hands on a P4 2.4a (400FSB) or P4 2.6a(400FSB) retail
box processor. Will this work on a Asus P4B266-C motherboard (running BIOS
1006)??

--
Y.
3 answers Last reply

    Try here:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    In article <n2Djc.288949$Ig.69618@pd7tw2no>, "Jim in Canada"
    <warnerjim@msn.com> wrote:

    > Try here:
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > >I am able to get my hands on a P4 2.4a (400FSB) or P4 2.6a(400FSB) retail
    > > box processor. Will this work on a Asus P4B266-C motherboard (running
    > > BIOS
    > > 1006)??
    > >
    > > --
    > > Y.

    First off, be careful with the naming conventions. According
    to processorfinder.intel.com and the Pentium 4 section,
    the only 2.4A listed there is a Prescott (1MB cache), which
    isn't likely to work due to the BIOS.

    SL7E8 2.40A GHz 533 MHz 90 nm C0 1 MB 478 pin PPGA

    I examined the 1007 beta BIOS on the Asus site, and the
    following family codes are supported. You can get the family
    code on the individual processor web pages on the Intel
    site. This means there is a microcode patch for the processor
    with these family codes (and presumably the BIOS also
    understands how to set up the processor).

    0F0A
    0F12
    0F13
    0F21
    0F23
    0F24
    0F27
    0F29

    As for the processor speeds supported, I recommend searching
    in Google on "P4B266-C 2.4" where you can substitute whatever
    speed you are interested in, in place of "2.4". Other
    experimenters have used faster than the 2.2Ghz listed on the
    Asus cpusupport web page.

    In terms of things limiting higher speeds, I see a couple of
    issues. One is that some BIOS have trouble doing the math
    to handle higher processor speeds, and funny things happen
    during POST, leading to a lack of success.

    The second is more serious, and has to do with the Vcore
    power regulator. Generally, you can look up all the supported
    CPUs on the Asus cpusupport web page and see how much Vcore
    current they draw max. Then, look up the processor you want
    to use, and see how much current it draws. If the new processor
    has significantly higher current consumption than the most
    consumptive processor in the Asus list, the onboard
    Vcore regulator may not be able to provide it. I wouldn't
    expect an issue going from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz.

    HTH,
    Paul

    My P4B266 runs 2.8@3317.5 PC2700 ram, Bios 1010.
    FSB 158