Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Troublesome device, designed for XP??

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 2, 2004 2:50:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

Hey there,

I am having great difficulty installing a 10 in 1 card reader on my
computer. I have Windows XP and apparently the hardware is designed for
Windows XP. The device can be found at www.in-win.com, it is a CR-i530
internal card reader. The card reader itself has 3 connections, internally,
USB 2, Audio and Firewire. Logical thinking would lead me to believe that
the card slots simply piggy back off of the USB bus, so it is not essential
to have either the Firewire or the Audio connected. My motherboard is an
Intel D865GBF and does not contain on-board Firewire capabilities.

Anyway, upon installation of the device Windows XP automatically
installs it as an "Unknown Device", which is quite strange, it does not
request any drivers for the unknown device. According to the Device
Manager, the "Unknown Device" has no drivers installed for it. This is
pretty normal I *thought* and attempted to install the software for the
device that would hopefully kick it into action. After installation and
rebooting, as per instructions, the device is still inactive as an "Unknown
Device". So I attempted to update the driver manually to the correct one,
on the installation disk their are only Windows 98 and 2000 drivers, I
presumed that the 2000 drivers would suffice as the device is "designed for
Windows XP". Unfortunately Windows will not let me use the drivers as it
does not believe them to be relevant to the device, I presume that this is
due to incompatability between the ".ini" file for 2000 and XP?

I know that the device is connected correctly as I can connect a USB
device to the card reader and it works perfectly, its just the card slots
that don't work. I can't find any information on the internet regarding
troublesome installation of this device, hence me posting this question to
these 2 newsgroups (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
microsoft.public.development.device.drivers). I have attached the ".ini"
file just incase anyone is aware of any possible fixes that I can make to
get Windows XP to use the 2000 drivers. Thanks greatly for your time and I
eagerly await a reply!!

Nick.


begin 666 inwin.inf
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0<F%G92!$<FEV97(B#0H-"@``
`
end
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 3, 2004 1:03:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

Did you load the software before connecting it ? as my camera has to have
the software loaded first then the camera is connected and it picks up all
the drivers as needed from the previously loaded software ? just a thought
"Nak" <a@a.com> wrote in message
news:%23kLi0rCMEHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hey there,
>
> I am having great difficulty installing a 10 in 1 card reader on my
> computer. I have Windows XP and apparently the hardware is designed for
> Windows XP. The device can be found at www.in-win.com, it is a CR-i530
> internal card reader. The card reader itself has 3 connections,
internally,
> USB 2, Audio and Firewire. Logical thinking would lead me to believe that
> the card slots simply piggy back off of the USB bus, so it is not
essential
> to have either the Firewire or the Audio connected. My motherboard is an
> Intel D865GBF and does not contain on-board Firewire capabilities.
>
> Anyway, upon installation of the device Windows XP automatically
> installs it as an "Unknown Device", which is quite strange, it does not
> request any drivers for the unknown device. According to the Device
> Manager, the "Unknown Device" has no drivers installed for it. This is
> pretty normal I *thought* and attempted to install the software for the
> device that would hopefully kick it into action. After installation and
> rebooting, as per instructions, the device is still inactive as an
"Unknown
> Device". So I attempted to update the driver manually to the correct one,
> on the installation disk their are only Windows 98 and 2000 drivers, I
> presumed that the 2000 drivers would suffice as the device is "designed
for
> Windows XP". Unfortunately Windows will not let me use the drivers as it
> does not believe them to be relevant to the device, I presume that this is
> due to incompatability between the ".ini" file for 2000 and XP?
>
> I know that the device is connected correctly as I can connect a USB
> device to the card reader and it works perfectly, its just the card slots
> that don't work. I can't find any information on the internet regarding
> troublesome installation of this device, hence me posting this question to
> these 2 newsgroups (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers). I have attached the ".ini"
> file just incase anyone is aware of any possible fixes that I can make to
> get Windows XP to use the 2000 drivers. Thanks greatly for your time and
I
> eagerly await a reply!!
>
> Nick.
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 3, 2004 6:42:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Kevin,

According to the instructions from the manufacturer the device should
be installed first, then the drivers installed. It is quite strange
as it is refusing to use the Windows 2000 inf file for the device in
WIndows XP, hence my concern for the devices compatability.

I have checked the Windows XP catalog and cannot find the device, does
this man that it isn't truely designed for Windows XP? I hope for
their sake that it is!

But I shall try as you have suggested just incase it springs into
life, I'll let you know of the outcome.

Nick.

On Mon, 3 May 2004 09:03:52 +0100, "Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Did you load the software before connecting it ? as my camera has to have
>the software loaded first then the camera is connected and it picks up all
>the drivers as needed from the previously loaded software ? just a thought
>"Nak" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>news:%23kLi0rCMEHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I am having great difficulty installing a 10 in 1 card reader on my
>> computer. I have Windows XP and apparently the hardware is designed for
>> Windows XP. The device can be found at www.in-win.com, it is a CR-i530
>> internal card reader. The card reader itself has 3 connections,
>internally,
>> USB 2, Audio and Firewire. Logical thinking would lead me to believe that
>> the card slots simply piggy back off of the USB bus, so it is not
>essential
>> to have either the Firewire or the Audio connected. My motherboard is an
>> Intel D865GBF and does not contain on-board Firewire capabilities.
>>
>> Anyway, upon installation of the device Windows XP automatically
>> installs it as an "Unknown Device", which is quite strange, it does not
>> request any drivers for the unknown device. According to the Device
>> Manager, the "Unknown Device" has no drivers installed for it. This is
>> pretty normal I *thought* and attempted to install the software for the
>> device that would hopefully kick it into action. After installation and
>> rebooting, as per instructions, the device is still inactive as an
>"Unknown
>> Device". So I attempted to update the driver manually to the correct one,
>> on the installation disk their are only Windows 98 and 2000 drivers, I
>> presumed that the 2000 drivers would suffice as the device is "designed
>for
>> Windows XP". Unfortunately Windows will not let me use the drivers as it
>> does not believe them to be relevant to the device, I presume that this is
>> due to incompatability between the ".ini" file for 2000 and XP?
>>
>> I know that the device is connected correctly as I can connect a USB
>> device to the card reader and it works perfectly, its just the card slots
>> that don't work. I can't find any information on the internet regarding
>> troublesome installation of this device, hence me posting this question to
>> these 2 newsgroups (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
>> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers). I have attached the ".ini"
>> file just incase anyone is aware of any possible fixes that I can make to
>> get Windows XP to use the 2000 drivers. Thanks greatly for your time and
>I
>> eagerly await a reply!!
>>
>> Nick.
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 5, 2004 5:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Kevin,

Still no luck, the device is being very stubborn for some
reason or another. As a matter of interest should *all* hardware that
has the "Designed for Windows XP" logo be listed in the Windows
Catalogue? Thanks again. Also, does anyone here know enough about
inf files to make this Windows 2000 one work in XP?

Nick.

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:42:56 +0100, Nak <a@a.com> wrote:

>Hi Kevin,
>
>According to the instructions from the manufacturer the device should
>be installed first, then the drivers installed. It is quite strange
>as it is refusing to use the Windows 2000 inf file for the device in
>WIndows XP, hence my concern for the devices compatability.
>
>I have checked the Windows XP catalog and cannot find the device, does
>this man that it isn't truely designed for Windows XP? I hope for
>their sake that it is!
>
>But I shall try as you have suggested just incase it springs into
>life, I'll let you know of the outcome.
>
>Nick.
>
>On Mon, 3 May 2004 09:03:52 +0100, "Kevin" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Did you load the software before connecting it ? as my camera has to have
>>the software loaded first then the camera is connected and it picks up all
>>the drivers as needed from the previously loaded software ? just a thought
>>"Nak" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>>news:%23kLi0rCMEHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> Hey there,
>>>
>>> I am having great difficulty installing a 10 in 1 card reader on my
>>> computer. I have Windows XP and apparently the hardware is designed for
>>> Windows XP. The device can be found at www.in-win.com, it is a CR-i530
>>> internal card reader. The card reader itself has 3 connections,
>>internally,
>>> USB 2, Audio and Firewire. Logical thinking would lead me to believe that
>>> the card slots simply piggy back off of the USB bus, so it is not
>>essential
>>> to have either the Firewire or the Audio connected. My motherboard is an
>>> Intel D865GBF and does not contain on-board Firewire capabilities.
>>>
>>> Anyway, upon installation of the device Windows XP automatically
>>> installs it as an "Unknown Device", which is quite strange, it does not
>>> request any drivers for the unknown device. According to the Device
>>> Manager, the "Unknown Device" has no drivers installed for it. This is
>>> pretty normal I *thought* and attempted to install the software for the
>>> device that would hopefully kick it into action. After installation and
>>> rebooting, as per instructions, the device is still inactive as an
>>"Unknown
>>> Device". So I attempted to update the driver manually to the correct one,
>>> on the installation disk their are only Windows 98 and 2000 drivers, I
>>> presumed that the 2000 drivers would suffice as the device is "designed
>>for
>>> Windows XP". Unfortunately Windows will not let me use the drivers as it
>>> does not believe them to be relevant to the device, I presume that this is
>>> due to incompatability between the ".ini" file for 2000 and XP?
>>>
>>> I know that the device is connected correctly as I can connect a USB
>>> device to the card reader and it works perfectly, its just the card slots
>>> that don't work. I can't find any information on the internet regarding
>>> troublesome installation of this device, hence me posting this question to
>>> these 2 newsgroups (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
>>> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers). I have attached the ".ini"
>>> file just incase anyone is aware of any possible fixes that I can make to
>>> get Windows XP to use the 2000 drivers. Thanks greatly for your time and
>>I
>>> eagerly await a reply!!
>>>
>>> Nick.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
!