Scanner/Web Cam numbering USB hub conundrum

Hi,
2 possibly related questions here:
1. I am running Windows XP home and have had reason (due to other issues) to
disconnect and reconnect various USB devices from my PC.

When I look in Control Panel > Scanners and Cameras both my scanner and
webcam are listed but with #4 and #3 next to them respectively.

They both seem to be working OK just wondered if it was anything to worry
about. I'm guessing that sometimes when disconnecting the info regarding
that device is not completely removed.

I have 4 USB ports on PC and a Belkin 4 port USB hub connected to one of
them which brings me to....

2. On occasion (why is it that these things only happen sometimes!?) it
seems as if my 4 port hub is working fine then all of a sudden, for no
apparent reason the hub, and devices plugged therein, become unrecognised by
the PC (I get the downward doorbell sound notification) and then shortly
afterwards become rediscovered (upward doorbell).

Is this a problem with the hub itself? Or the settings or driver for the hub
on the PC?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Yours

RAH.

---
More about scanner numbering conundrum

    RAH wrote:
    > Hi,
    > 2 possibly related questions here:
    > 1. I am running Windows XP home and have had reason (due to other
    > issues) to disconnect and reconnect various USB devices from my PC.
    >
    > When I look in Control Panel > Scanners and Cameras both my scanner
    > and webcam are listed but with #4 and #3 next to them respectively.
    >
    > They both seem to be working OK just wondered if it was anything to
    > worry about. I'm guessing that sometimes when disconnecting the info
    > regarding that device is not completely removed.
    >
    > I have 4 USB ports on PC and a Belkin 4 port USB hub connected to one
    > of them which brings me to....
    >
    > 2. On occasion (why is it that these things only happen sometimes!?)
    > it seems as if my 4 port hub is working fine then all of a sudden,
    > for no apparent reason the hub, and devices plugged therein, become
    > unrecognised by the PC (I get the downward doorbell sound
    > notification) and then shortly afterwards become rediscovered (upward
    > doorbell).
    >
    > Is this a problem with the hub itself? Or the settings or driver for
    > the hub on the PC?
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully received.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > RAH.
    >

    > ---

    On all of my XP systems, there is one device entry for each USB
    controller (one per USB port) that had the device connected. AFICS,
    this is normal since each port is itself an independent device. The
    problem with your disconnection is either too many devices on an
    unpowered external hub, or a cable problem.

    > > 2. On occasion (why is it that these things only happen
    sometimes!?)
    > > it seems as if my 4 port hub is working fine then all of
    a sudden,
    > > for no apparent reason the hub, and devices plugged
    therein, become
    > > unrecognised by the PC (I get the downward doorbell
    sound
    > > notification) and then shortly afterwards become
    rediscovered (upward
    > > doorbell).

    You're lucky. Sometimes I didn't even get the doorbell. It
    seems to be a power supply problem. Are you using a UPS? If
    so, you might want to consider beefing it up. I did and that
    seems to have got rid of the problem of my USB drive "going
    AWOL".

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse

    Hi RAH,

    For the first question, that #3 and #4 can be safely ignored.

    Actually, the device drive is just like a new instance from a certain
    class. The #3 and #4 means the 3rd and 4th time to create an instance from
    a certain class. It can be reproduced to remove and reinstall the same
    device drive.

    For the second question, it is probably related to the power.

    Each USB root hub can provide 500mA power.

    If you connect it to several non-self-powered USB hubs, it may run out of
    power.

    You can check the power used from the power tab of the USB hub node from
    the device manager.

    Hope it helps!

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2000, MCDBA, MCSA

    --------------------
    >From: "RAH" <me@home.com>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >Subject: Scanner/Web Cam numbering USB hub conundrum
    >Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 11:23:32 +0100
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >
    >Hi,
    >2 possibly related questions here:
    >1. I am running Windows XP home and have had reason (due to other issues)
    >disconnect and reconnect various USB devices from my PC.
    >
    >When I look in Control Panel > Scanners and Cameras both my scanner and
    >webcam are listed but with #4 and #3 next to them respectively.
    >
    >They both seem to be working OK just wondered if it was anything to worry
    >about. I'm guessing that sometimes when disconnecting the info regarding
    >that device is not completely removed.
    >
    >I have 4 USB ports on PC and a Belkin 4 port USB hub connected to one of
    >them which brings me to....
    >
    >2. On occasion (why is it that these things only happen sometimes!?) it
    >seems as if my 4 port hub is working fine then all of a sudden, for no
    >apparent reason the hub, and devices plugged therein, become unrecognised
    by
    >the PC (I get the downward doorbell sound notification) and then shortly
    >afterwards become rediscovered (upward doorbell).
    >
    >Is this a problem with the hub itself? Or the settings or driver for the
    hub
    >on the PC?
    >
    >Any suggestions gratefully received.
    >
    >Yours
    >
    >RAH.
    >

    >---

    Thanks for your response. I have tried using the hub both with its external
    power supply and without. Same thing occurs. When I look under the power
    properties of each device they all fall within the maximum 500 mA allowed
    per port and therefore I would have thought that the external power supply
    was not needed.

    Could it be, in your opinion, anything to do with the USB controllers on the
    PC itself? I've tried clearing the option under USB hub properties > power
    management for the PC to "Allow he computer to turn off this device to save
    power" but the same thing occurs.

    If I could in some way log the time that each disconnect/reconnect event
    occurs I might be able to trace the problem.
    Then again I could just plug and unplug from ports on my PC as required and
    do away with the hub altogether.

    Hmmmmm....

    RAH.

    ---

    Hi RAH,

    As far as your other USB devices works on this hub, the problem should not
    be related to the USB controller driver.

    However, it is possible that this kind of USB hub hardware may have some
    problems that randomly leads to the issue you experience.

    If possible, please connect all devices (or the device that had experience
    this issue) to the root USB hub (If there are enough port provided) on your
    motherboard for a try.

    Hope it helps!

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2000, MCDBA, MCSA

    --------------------

    >Thanks for your response. I have tried using the hub both with its external
    >power supply and without. Same thing occurs. When I look under the power
    >properties of each device they all fall within the maximum 500 mA allowed
    >per port and therefore I would have thought that the external power supply
    >was not needed.
    >
    >Could it be, in your opinion, anything to do with the USB controllers on
    the
    >PC itself? I've tried clearing the option under USB hub properties > power
    >management for the PC to "Allow he computer to turn off this device to save
    >power" but the same thing occurs.
    >
    >If I could in some way log the time that each disconnect/reconnect event
    >occurs I might be able to trace the problem.
    >Then again I could just plug and unplug from ports on my PC as required and
    >do away with the hub altogether.
    >
    >Hmmmmm....
    >
    >RAH.
    >

    >---