My DVD drive is stuck close, how can i open it?

I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to restart and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond. Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive?
Sabrina
4 answers Last reply
More about drive stuck close open

    Space Cowboy wrote:
    > I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video
    > re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to restart
    > and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond.
    > Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but
    > NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive? Sabrina

    First - completely power down..
    Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject button on the CD once every
    10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you can get the disk out
    that way.

    If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the front of the drive..
    Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to manually open the drive.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Thanks a lot Shenan, I rebooted several times and still it is stucked. I cannot removed the eject button or stick a paper clip in it, it's too tight. But the whole D drive is actually nowhere in my computer, which prompted me to think that it needs to be reinstalled. Do you know I could do that? Thanks. Sabrina

    ----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----

    Space Cowboy wrote:
    > I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video
    > re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to restart
    > and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond.
    > Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but
    > NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive? Sabrina

    First - completely power down..
    Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject button on the CD once every
    10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you can get the disk out
    that way.

    If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the front of the drive..
    Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to manually open the drive.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    You straighten the standard size paper clip so you have an
    inch or so straight. There is a small hole, usually near
    the buttons on the front of the CD or DVD drive. You insert
    the pointy end in the hole, feeling around for the trip
    latch which will allow you to open the tray.
    The giant size paper clips are too big.

    Open the device manager by right clicking the My Computer
    icon, then Manage and you'll see the device manager listed.
    Look in device manager for the drive and see what it
    reports. You can use device manager to remove the drive and
    it should be reinstalled when you reboot.

    "Space Cowboy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    | Thanks a lot Shenan, I rebooted several times and still it
    is stucked. I cannot removed the eject button or stick a
    paper clip in it, it's too tight. But the whole D drive is
    actually nowhere in my computer, which prompted me to think
    that it needs to be reinstalled. Do you know I could do
    that? Thanks. Sabrina

    | ----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----
    |
    | Space Cowboy wrote:
    | > I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and
    inserted a DVD video
    | > re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer.
    I had to restart
    | > and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just
    won't respond.
    | > Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and
    the CD drive, but
    | > NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of
    the drive? Sabrina

    | First - completely power down..
    | Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject
    button on the CD once every
    | 10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you
    can get the disk out
    | that way.
    |
    | If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the
    front of the drive..
    | Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to
    manually open the drive.

    | --
    | <- Shenan ->
    | --

    You didn't try a cd with them stickon labels. if that is the case the only
    way ist to take the top of and pull the label out

    "Space Cowboy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks a lot Shenan, I rebooted several times and still it is stucked. I
    cannot removed the eject button or stick a paper clip in it, it's too tight.
    But the whole D drive is actually nowhere in my computer, which prompted me
    to think that it needs to be reinstalled. Do you know I could do that?
    Thanks. Sabrina

    > ----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----
    >
    > Space Cowboy wrote:
    > > I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video
    > > re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to
    restart
    > > and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond.
    > > Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but
    > > NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive? Sabrina
    >

    > First - completely power down..
    > Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject button on the CD once
    every
    > 10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you can get the disk
    out
    > that way.
    >
    > If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the front of the
    drive..
    > Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to manually open the
    drive.

    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

DVD Drives CD-Rom Windows XP