My DVD drive is stuck close, how can i open it?

May 2, 2004 9:16:03 AM

I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to restart and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond. Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive?
Sabrina
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 11:20:49 AM

Space Cowboy wrote:
> I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video
> re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to restart
> and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond.
> Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but
> NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive? Sabrina

First - completely power down..
Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject button on the CD once every
10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you can get the disk out
that way.

If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the front of the drive..
Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to manually open the drive.

--
<- Shenan ->
May 2, 2004 11:46:03 AM

Thanks a lot Shenan, I rebooted several times and still it is stucked. I cannot removed the eject button or stick a paper clip in it, it's too tight. But the whole D drive is actually nowhere in my computer, which prompted me to think that it needs to be reinstalled. Do you know I could do that? Thanks. Sabrina

----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----

Space Cowboy wrote:
> I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and inserted a DVD video
> re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer. I had to restart
> and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just won't respond.
> Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and the CD drive, but
> NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of the drive? Sabrina

First - completely power down..
Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject button on the CD once every
10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you can get the disk out
that way.

If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the front of the drive..
Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to manually open the drive.

--
<- Shenan ->
May 2, 2004 4:50:27 PM

You straighten the standard size paper clip so you have an
inch or so straight. There is a small hole, usually near
the buttons on the front of the CD or DVD drive. You insert
the pointy end in the hole, feeling around for the trip
latch which will allow you to open the tray.
The giant size paper clips are too big.

Open the device manager by right clicking the My Computer
icon, then Manage and you'll see the device manager listed.
Look in device manager for the drive and see what it
reports. You can use device manager to remove the drive and
it should be reinstalled when you reboot.

"Space Cowboy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
| Thanks a lot Shenan, I rebooted several times and still it
is stucked. I cannot removed the eject button or stick a
paper clip in it, it's too tight. But the whole D drive is
actually nowhere in my computer, which prompted me to think
that it needs to be reinstalled. Do you know I could do
that? Thanks. Sabrina

| ----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----
|
| Space Cowboy wrote:
| > I wanted to do a back up copy of my files and
inserted a DVD video
| > re-recordable CD in my drive. It froze my computer.
I had to restart
| > and I cannot get the disk out of the drive! It just
won't respond.
| > Also, when I go to explore, I see the A drive and
the CD drive, but
| > NOT the DVD drive. How can I force the CD out of
the drive? Sabrina

| First - completely power down..
| Turn the PC back on.. Start pressing the eject
button on the CD once every
| 10 seconds before it gets into Windows. Perhaps you
can get the disk out
| that way.
|
| If not - look for the manual ejection hole in the
front of the drive..
| Straighten a paperclip and insert it in there to
manually open the drive.

| --
| <- Shenan ->
| --

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 1:52:30 AM

You didn't try a cd with them stickon labels. if that is the case the only
way ist to take the top of and pull the label out