DVD Drive reading problems

I have a problem with my Pioneer DVR-106D which is a DVD
writer. It is having problems reading CD and DVDs.

At first I thought it was a drive reading problem because
My Computer wouldn't detect any CDs or DVDs discs but I
could use Isobuster to read the contents of the discs.

However, I then noticed that when I right-clicked on the
drive in My Computer and clicked Eject there was no
response, eventhough I could open the drive from its
eject button.

I assumed there was a problem in receving data between
the computer so I iuninstalled the drive from the control
panel, switched off the computer and disconnected the
drive's cables and restarted the computer so that it was
completely uninstalled. I then switched off the computer
again and reconnected the cables. Windows detected the
drive and everything was fine again.

However, I later noticed a message that I had ignored
after reinstalling the drive which said I should restart
to finish the adding of new hardware. I did this but the
old problems started again.

I uninstalled the drive from the control panel again and
restarted. The drive was detected again and it detected
the CD present in its drive at the time. However, the
message to reboot the computer also came up. When I
restarted I got the same problem again.

I'm completely confused as to what's going on. I've had
the drive for six months and it hasn't given me any
trouble so far. The problems just started a few days ago
but I don't remember doing any major changes to my
computer. Is this a hardware problem or a Windows
problem?

Here are my specs:
Windows XP Professional SP1
Pentium 4 'C' 2.4ghz
512 MB DDR RAM
120GB HD
128MB Radeon 9800
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D
ASUS P4P800 Motherboard

Again, if your having read problems, eject problems, and write problems with eitheir IDE or SCSI DVD and CD RW's with XP, , you may need ASPI drivers. http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppdetail.jsp?prodkey=ASPI-4.70. Windows deliberatley left these drivers out of XP and no longer supports them, but my DVD RW was doing the same thing and it works very well now.

TRENDING THREADS