Dead CUV4X?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 4:15:12 AM

I've been given a CUV4X board because it was supposedly dead.

Anyway, I power it up with a P3/733, 64Mb of RAM and an old PCI
graphics card but all it it displays is:

Award BootBlock Bios v1.0
Copyright (c) 1995, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting Floppy drive a media...
Drive A error. System halt

So, OK I think, I'll just download the BIOS image from the ASUS
website along with the AFLASH.EXE program, connect up a floppy drive
and away we go... not.

I've made a bootable floppy with the aflash.exe tool and the bios
image on it but the board doesn't even appear to look at the floppy
drive before comming up with the error.

Is there something I'm missing, or is the only way to revive the board
to flash the BIOS chip out of circuit?

Thanks,
MikeW

More about : dead cuv4x

April 28, 2004 5:33:21 AM

Hmm. What happens if you remove the floppy i/f cable, and set both floppy
drives to NONE in the BIOS? Also, just out of interest, are we certain that
the floppy drive works?

And -- although it is really un-related -- what is the revision level
stamped onto the board, please?

Ron
April 28, 2004 6:21:54 AM

In article <c6mpi0$do3sm$1@ID-97241.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Mike Wynne"
<mikeywyn@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been given a CUV4X board because it was supposedly dead.
>
> Anyway, I power it up with a P3/733, 64Mb of RAM and an old PCI
> graphics card but all it it displays is:
>
> Award BootBlock Bios v1.0
> Copyright (c) 1995, Award Software, Inc.
>
> BIOS ROM checksum error
>
> Detecting Floppy drive a media...
> Drive A error. System halt
>
> So, OK I think, I'll just download the BIOS image from the ASUS
> website along with the AFLASH.EXE program, connect up a floppy drive
> and away we go... not.
>
> I've made a bootable floppy with the aflash.exe tool and the bios
> image on it but the board doesn't even appear to look at the floppy
> drive before comming up with the error.
>
> Is there something I'm missing, or is the only way to revive the board
> to flash the BIOS chip out of circuit?
>
> Thanks,
> MikeW

I don't know how much money you want to sink into this project,
but you could contact badflash.com or you can phone Asus and
order another BIOS chip. Check the Asus contact page and talk
to tech support, and they can probably give you a phone number
of someone at Asus who can get you a BIOS chip. The difference
between Asus and a private BIOS chip company, could be the
shipping time.

Note that to swap chips, the chip cannot be soldered to the
board. The chip has to be in a socket, so that you can pry it
up with a staple remover or a slot head screwdriver. Make careful
note of the proper orientation of the chip, so you don't put the
new one in rotated 180 degrees (not good for the chip, you could
smoke it).

If you are born lucky, maybe you can find someone with an
EPROM programmer, and they can program it for you. I have
yet to run into someone in this news group who is that lucky.

HTH,
Paul
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 12:12:51 PM

"Ron" wrote...
> Hmm. What happens if you remove the floppy i/f cable,
> and set both floppy drives to NONE in the BIOS? Also,
> just out of interest, are we certain that the floppy
> drive works?

You can't get into the BIOS setup, what I previously wrote is all the
board ever displays. The floppy/cable was pulled from a working
system but just to be paranoid I've already tried 3 different
drives/cables.

> And -- although it is really un-related -- what is the
> revision level stamped onto the board, please?

It says "Rev 1.03".

tia,
MikeW
April 28, 2004 4:58:36 PM

Yup - I agree with Paul. And, frankly, I wouldn't bother pursuing this
adventure. You initially indicated that this board had been given to you.
Presumably as a what-the-hell-it's-worth-a-try thing. So it sounds like it
won't cause anyone any hardship to give it a decent burial. Sorry.

FWIW, there are plenty of A7xxxx mobo's avail on eBay for really decent
prices, if you want/need to replace this board.

Best of luck.
Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 11:36:41 PM

"Paul" wrote...
> If you are born lucky, maybe you can find someone
> with an EPROM programmer, and they can program it
> for you. I have yet to run into someone in this news
> group who is that lucky.

Actually I do own an EPROM programmer, but it's a simple one of my own
design and currently only handles 27xxx EPROMs (A degree in
electronics actually comes in useful for some things) not 29xxx flash
chips. I think an upgrade to my original design may be in order...

Thanks anyway,
MikeW
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 5:13:07 PM

"Mike Wynne" <mikeywyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c6mpi0$do3sm$1@ID-97241.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> I've been given a CUV4X board because it was supposedly dead.
>
> Anyway, I power it up with a P3/733, 64Mb of RAM and an old PCI
> graphics card but all it it displays is:
>
> Award BootBlock Bios v1.0
> Copyright (c) 1995, Award Software, Inc.
>
> BIOS ROM checksum error
>
> Detecting Floppy drive a media...
> Drive A error. System halt
>
> So, OK I think, I'll just download the BIOS image from the ASUS
> website along with the AFLASH.EXE program, connect up a floppy drive
> and away we go... not.
>
> I've made a bootable floppy with the aflash.exe tool and the bios
> image on it but the board doesn't even appear to look at the floppy
> drive before comming up with the error.
>
> Is there something I'm missing, or is the only way to revive the board
> to flash the BIOS chip out of circuit?
>
> Thanks,
> MikeW

You are almost there.
now just add a text file called autoexec.bat
and put this line in it:

nameofflashprogram nameofbiosfile.bin /py

where nameofflashprogram is whatever the flashprogram is called
and.... well you get the idea.

if that doesn't work e-mail me and I'll give you an address you can
mail the chip and a couple bucks, whatever you think is fair, to and
I'll re-program it for you.
April 29, 2004 11:24:04 PM

Sounds good, then when you have finished, we would all like a copy of the
design please.
....or should I beg?
- Tim

> "Paul" wrote...
> > If you are born lucky, maybe you can find someone
> > with an EPROM programmer, and they can program it
> > for you. I have yet to run into someone in this news
> > group who is that lucky.
>
> Actually I do own an EPROM programmer, but it's a simple one of my own
> design and currently only handles 27xxx EPROMs (A degree in
> electronics actually comes in useful for some things) not 29xxx flash
> chips. I think an upgrade to my original design may be in order...
>
> Thanks anyway,
> MikeW

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 2:11:42 AM

"Rod MacPherson" wrote...
> > I've made a bootable floppy with the aflash.exe tool
> > and the bios image on it but the board doesn't even
> > appear to look at the floppy drive before comming up
> > with the error.
>
> You are almost there.
> now just add a text file called autoexec.bat
> and put this line in it:
>
> nameofflashprogram nameofbiosfile.bin /py

I don't want to sound ungreatful, but how would putting an autoexec
file on the floppy help when the board isn't even checking the drive?

Incidently, I appear to have solved my immediate problem. I've found
one of my other boards (an Abit KT7a) uses the same flash chip. I
might try a hot flash later.

MikeW
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2004 11:49:42 PM

"Mike Wynne" wrote...
> Incidently, I appear to have solved my immediate problem.
> I've found one of my other boards (an Abit KT7a) uses the
> same flash chip. I might try a hot flash later.

I finally got round the trying the hot flash, and... it worked! The
board is up and running again for a total investment of absolutely
nothing.

MikeW
!