Processor upgrade for A7M266

Hello

I have an ASUS A7M266 board with an AMD Thunderbird 1.44 processor. Does
anyone know if this board is capable of a processor upgrade? There was
some buzz on various newsgroups about Mobile Athlons and how a great of a
value they provide. Will any of the Mobile Athlons be compatible with this
board?

Also, the memory on this board is 133 DDR-SDRAM. Can the memory be also
upgraded?

Thanks very much in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade a7m266

    "svrz" <svrz@REMOVEXYahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have an ASUS A7M266 board with an AMD Thunderbird 1.44 processor. Does
    > anyone know if this board is capable of a processor upgrade? There was
    > some buzz on various newsgroups about Mobile Athlons and how a great of a
    > value they provide. Will any of the Mobile Athlons be compatible with
    this
    > board?
    >
    > Also, the memory on this board is 133 DDR-SDRAM. Can the memory be also
    > upgraded?
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.

    I have am using the A7M266 with an Athlon 2100+ @ 1800.
    Pretty much the highest this board will take without some soldering is the
    2100+.
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_a7m266_mod/

    It also has to be a certain version. (forget which now). I have PC2100 ddr
    in it running at 140 FSB. Runs great, but it is maxed out. I am, and would
    suggest saving your money for a newer motherboard and processor. Something
    like the AMD 64. :P

    There was a great forum on this motherboard but not available anymore. :(
    I actually have two. My spare pc has the same motherboard and a 1.33 Athlon.

    Some old links:
    http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7m266/2.shtml
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/a7m266/default.asp

    --
    Tip
    www.gotips.net

    "Tip" <gotip1@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > It also has to be a certain version. (forget which now). I have PC2100
    > ddr in it running at 140 FSB. Runs great, but it is maxed out. I am,
    > and would suggest saving your money for a newer motherboard and
    > processor. Something like the AMD 64. :P

    Thanks for the reply, Tip. This seems like the best move.

    Take care
    RZ

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:16:05 GMT, svrz <svrz@REMOVEXYahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Tip" <gotip1@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> It also has to be a certain version. (forget which now). I have PC2100
    >> ddr in it running at 140 FSB. Runs great, but it is maxed out. I am,
    >> and would suggest saving your money for a newer motherboard and
    >> processor. Something like the AMD 64. :P
    >>

    >Thanks for the reply, Tip. This seems like the best move.
    >
    >Take care
    >RZ

    a7m266 wire tricks (21 April 2003
    ; update 10 March 2004, mobile barton)
    http://tinyurl.com/jltt

    hth,
    Ed
    --
    http://tinyurl.com/cu77

    Ed <nobox@hotmail.com> wrote in news:vncv80pg3707rtv77m10p5j2glf58qj14q@
    4ax.com:

    > a7m266 wire tricks (21 April 2003
    > ; update 10 March 2004, mobile barton)
    > http://tinyurl.com/jltt

    Thanks for the reply, Ed. Have you by any chance tried the alternate
    software method? Is it as effective as the wire trick?

    Thanks in advance.

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:40:58 GMT, svrz <svrz@REMOVEXYahoo.com> wrote:

    >Ed <nobox@hotmail.com> wrote in news:vncv80pg3707rtv77m10p5j2glf58qj14q@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> a7m266 wire tricks (21 April 2003
    >> ; update 10 March 2004, mobile barton)
    >> http://tinyurl.com/jltt
    >>

    >Thanks for the reply, Ed. Have you by any chance tried the alternate
    >software method? Is it as effective as the wire trick?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    No, I have an unlocked barton. ;p
    good luck
    Ed