  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2004 7:23:05 AM

Hello

I have an ASUS A7M266 board with an AMD Thunderbird 1.44 processor. Does
anyone know if this board is capable of a processor upgrade? There was
some buzz on various newsgroups about Mobile Athlons and how a great of a
value they provide. Will any of the Mobile Athlons be compatible with this
board?

Also, the memory on this board is 133 DDR-SDRAM. Can the memory be also
upgraded?

Thanks very much in advance.

More about : processor upgrade a7m266

April 28, 2004 8:51:00 AM

"svrz" <svrz@REMOVEXYahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have an ASUS A7M266 board with an AMD Thunderbird 1.44 processor. Does
> anyone know if this board is capable of a processor upgrade? There was
> some buzz on various newsgroups about Mobile Athlons and how a great of a
> value they provide. Will any of the Mobile Athlons be compatible with
this
> board?
>
> Also, the memory on this board is 133 DDR-SDRAM. Can the memory be also
> upgraded?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.

I have am using the A7M266 with an Athlon 2100+ @ 1800.
Pretty much the highest this board will take without some soldering is the
2100+.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_a7m266_mod/

It also has to be a certain version. (forget which now). I have PC2100 ddr
in it running at 140 FSB. Runs great, but it is maxed out. I am, and would
suggest saving your money for a newer motherboard and processor. Something
like the AMD 64. :p

There was a great forum on this motherboard but not available anymore. :(
I actually have two. My spare pc has the same motherboard and a 1.33 Athlon.

Some old links:
http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7m266/2.s...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/a7m266/default.asp

--
Tip
www.gotips.net

"Tip" <gotip1@hotmail.com> wrote in

> It also has to be a certain version. (forget which now). I have PC2100
> ddr in it running at 140 FSB. Runs great, but it is maxed out. I am,
> and would suggest saving your money for a newer motherboard and
> processor. Something like the AMD 64. :p

Thanks for the reply, Tip. This seems like the best move.

Take care
RZ
Related resources
April 28, 2004 12:36:42 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:16:05 GMT, svrz <svrz@REMOVEXYahoo.com> wrote:

>"Tip" <gotip1@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> It also has to be a certain version. (forget which now). I have PC2100
>> ddr in it running at 140 FSB. Runs great, but it is maxed out. I am,
>> and would suggest saving your money for a newer motherboard and
>> processor. Something like the AMD 64. :p
>>

>Thanks for the reply, Tip. This seems like the best move.
>
>Take care
>RZ

a7m266 wire tricks (21 April 2003
; update 10 March 2004, mobile barton)
http://tinyurl.com/jltt

hth,
Ed
--
http://tinyurl.com/cu77
Anonymous

Ed <nobox@hotmail.com> wrote in news:vncv80pg3707rtv77m10p5j2glf58qj14q@
4ax.com:

> a7m266 wire tricks (21 April 2003
> ; update 10 March 2004, mobile barton)
> http://tinyurl.com/jltt

Thanks for the reply, Ed. Have you by any chance tried the alternate
software method? Is it as effective as the wire trick?

Thanks in advance.
April 29, 2004 7:40:59 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:40:58 GMT, svrz <svrz@REMOVEXYahoo.com> wrote:

>Ed <nobox@hotmail.com> wrote in news:vncv80pg3707rtv77m10p5j2glf58qj14q@
>4ax.com:
>
>> a7m266 wire tricks (21 April 2003
>> ; update 10 March 2004, mobile barton)
>> http://tinyurl.com/jltt
>>

>Thanks for the reply, Ed. Have you by any chance tried the alternate
>software method? Is it as effective as the wire trick?
>
>Thanks in advance.

No, I have an unlocked barton. ;p
good luck
Ed