Master/Slave Hard drives

I installed a larger hard drive on my computer and used Ghost to clone
the new hard drive. I had the old hard drive set up as a master and
the new hard drive set up as a slave. After copying the image, I
reversed the master/slave configuration and everything was fine.
Now I want to remove the old (now set up as a slave) hard drive, but
when I have the new hard drive set up as a single, the computer boots
up to a point and then goes to the blue screen on Windows XP and hangs
there. Any ideas why the two drives will work together in any
configuration and the old drive will work by itself, but the new one
will not?
Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about master slave hard drives

    Which version of Ghost did you use?
    "the#1kid" <mikerhopp@iwon.com> wrote in message
    > I installed a larger hard drive on my computer and used Ghost to clone
    > the new hard drive. I had the old hard drive set up as a master and
    > the new hard drive set up as a slave. After copying the image, I
    > reversed the master/slave configuration and everything was fine.
    > Now I want to remove the old (now set up as a slave) hard drive, but
    > when I have the new hard drive set up as a single, the computer boots
    > up to a point and then goes to the blue screen on Windows XP and hangs
    > there. Any ideas why the two drives will work together in any
    > configuration and the old drive will work by itself, but the new one
    > will not?
    > Mike

    Have you checked the jumpers, they vary by manufacturer. Maxtors require a
    jumper be installed when it's a master and removed when it's a slave.
    Western Digitals are totally different and require a jumper be installed
    when it's Master with another drive and no jumper when it's by itself as a
    Slave or Master.

    "the#1kid" <mikerhopp@iwon.com> wrote in message
    > I installed a larger hard drive on my computer and used Ghost to clone
    > the new hard drive. I had the old hard drive set up as a master and
    > the new hard drive set up as a slave. After copying the image, I
    > reversed the master/slave configuration and everything was fine.
    > Now I want to remove the old (now set up as a slave) hard drive, but
    > when I have the new hard drive set up as a single, the computer boots
    > up to a point and then goes to the blue screen on Windows XP and hangs
    > there. Any ideas why the two drives will work together in any
    > configuration and the old drive will work by itself, but the new one
    > will not?
    > Mike

    It is definitely not the jumpers. I went to the WestenDigital page
    before and everything is okay on the jumpers.
    It has to be some sort of .sys file I think, because right before if
    goes to the "Welcome" screen, it switches to this blue screen with
    Microsoft Windows XP on it and hangs there. I checked both drives'
    boot.ini files and they were different. I made them the same. All
    other .sys files are the same as well. If, when 2 drives are present
    and one drive is the "C" drive and the other is the "G" drive, with
    the new drive being the "G" drive, does it automatically default back
    to being the "C" drive if booted by itself? There is a line in the
    boot.ini file about default=C:\

    Don't know if that has anything to do with the problem or not?

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:38:39 -0500, the#1kid <mikerhopp@iwon.com> wrote:

    >I installed a larger hard drive on my computer and used Ghost to clone
    >the new hard drive. I had the old hard drive set up as a master and
    >the new hard drive set up as a slave. After copying the image, I
    >reversed the master/slave configuration and everything was fine.
    >Now I want to remove the old (now set up as a slave) hard drive, but
    >when I have the new hard drive set up as a single, the computer boots
    >up to a point and then goes to the blue screen on Windows XP and hangs
    >there. Any ideas why the two drives will work together in any
    >configuration and the old drive will work by itself, but the new one
    >will not?
    >Mike

    This is by design. XP stores drive identities internally. If you just
    ghost a drive but leave the original drive in the system, regardless of
    where it is, XP will still be using it as the system drive. So when you
    pulled the system drive, of course XP cannot boot.

    What you MUST do when ghosting XP is after you have cloned the drive, you
    must pull the original drive from the system so XP will use the cloned
    drive. Once XP has successfully booted from the cloned drive you may add
    the original drive back.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Norton Ghost 2003, I think. I have since uninstalled that program.

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:28:41 -0700, "Rich Barry"
    <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote:

    >Which version of Ghost did you use?
    >"the#1kid" <mikerhopp@iwon.com> wrote in message
    >> I installed a larger hard drive on my computer and used Ghost to clone
    >> the new hard drive. I had the old hard drive set up as a master and
    >> the new hard drive set up as a slave. After copying the image, I
    >> reversed the master/slave configuration and everything was fine.
    >> Now I want to remove the old (now set up as a slave) hard drive, but
    >> when I have the new hard drive set up as a single, the computer boots
    >> up to a point and then goes to the blue screen on Windows XP and hangs
    >> there. Any ideas why the two drives will work together in any
    >> configuration and the old drive will work by itself, but the new one
    >> will not?
    >> Mike

Computers Hard Drives Configuration Windows XP