Asus A7V8x-x; No Power Oddity

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 28, 2004 2:05:55 PM

Built an a7v8x-x system (win xp, 2400+ cpu) for a client, his very first
computer..Everything installs great, no problems..

Updated drivers/bios from asus website.

He takes it home, runs it for an hour, shuts it down, tries to restart
it...no post. No activity.
I think heat issues can be ruled out as i definitely had the machine running
longer, working harder than he did.

Tries again in the morning, no post. No activity.
I tell him to try somewhere else in the household, still no post.

Brings it back to my office, and of course, starts up just fine like twenty
times in a row.

At a loss, i replace the power supply with a nice enermax one.

Client reports the same problem. He even took it to his neighbours with no
success(claimed no post, no activity)..

I don't see RAM causing this..and i don't see that two bad power supplies in
a row are the culprit either..

I'm thinking motherboard, but I've never seen a motherboard behave like this
either. The motherboard led (on the motherboard itself, not the front of the
case) does come on when plugged in apparently. Any thoughts?

Maybe it's just because it's morning, but i'm stuck..
Thanks,
jody
April 28, 2004 8:11:28 PM

"Jody" <jodyNOSPAMohalloran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Built an a7v8x-x system (win xp, 2400+ cpu) for a client, his very first
> computer..Everything installs great, no problems..
>
> Updated drivers/bios from asus website.
>
> He takes it home, runs it for an hour, shuts it down, tries to restart
> it...no post. No activity.
> I think heat issues can be ruled out as i definitely had the machine
running
> longer, working harder than he did.
>
> Tries again in the morning, no post. No activity.
> I tell him to try somewhere else in the household, still no post.
>
> Brings it back to my office, and of course, starts up just fine like
twenty
> times in a row.
>
> At a loss, i replace the power supply with a nice enermax one.
>
> Client reports the same problem. He even took it to his neighbours with no
> success(claimed no post, no activity)..
>
> I don't see RAM causing this..and i don't see that two bad power supplies
in
> a row are the culprit either..
>
> I'm thinking motherboard, but I've never seen a motherboard behave like
this
> either. The motherboard led (on the motherboard itself, not the front of
the
> case) does come on when plugged in apparently. Any thoughts?
>
> Maybe it's just because it's morning, but i'm stuck..
> Thanks,
> jody

Blame the client?

Did they plug it all in etc at their home by themselves? If so go round
there and make sure they haven't done accidently left something unplugged or
something.
April 28, 2004 9:06:33 PM

ever check the cpu temp and make sure the cpu fan is running all the time ?
I had that happen once and the pc was acting the same way as yours. After
like 20 mins, would not post all cause of a faulty cpu fan.

Later Tony
April 28, 2004 9:06:34 PM

"tony" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> ever check the cpu temp and make sure the cpu fan is running all the time
?
> I had that happen once and the pc was acting the same way as yours. After
> like 20 mins, would not post all cause of a faulty cpu fan.
>
> Later Tony

Possible. It'll be one of the things i check. I'm pretty sure i saw the fan
moving though when checking before it went out.
However, if that is the case, i'm sure the cpu must be fried now.
We'll see in a day or two.

Thanks,
jo
!