I lost my file sharing on Wireless Network

I have had the same computer for 4 years, a Compaq Presario. Started with
dial-up, then switched to cable modem, then added a wireless router for a
second computer in the house, then got Vonage phone service. Both computers
are running Windows XP Home. I decided to take the old one into the shop for
a check up because it had been having problems. Not being all that
knowledgeable about how things worked, I wasn't even sure if the second PC
would still have it's internet connection or the phone would still work
(without the 'main' computer it had always been hooked up to). To my
surprise, everything worked fine while the old Compaq was in the shop. But,
the technician at the shop ended up having to reinstall Windows XP Home. When
I got it home everything continues to be fine, but now I can't seem to enable
file and print sharing between the two PC's any longer. Furthermore, in
looking into things with what little time I have had to spare, it seems that
none of the Network Security measures were ever turned on by the man I hired
to install the Wireless network for me. (Yeah, I know, I could have bought
the stuff and installed it myself, but I wanted it done right. I paid the guy
$50 an hour to come out and get everything running...)

Would it be wise to just unplug the wireless router, hit the factory default
reset button on the back, and try to start over from scratch? Will I lose my
internet connection and my phone if I do? Should I bite the bullet and pay
this guy to come back and get me up and running again? PS I bought my wife a
Dell Laptop for Christmas, it's on it's way here now.... so of course I am
broke. Now there will be 3 PC's on the wireless network.

Advice? Suggestions?

Malke

Dan2 Miller wrote:

> I have had the same computer for 4 years, a Compaq Presario. Started
> with dial-up, then switched to cable modem, then added a wireless
> router for a second computer in the house, then got Vonage phone
> service. Both computers are running Windows XP Home. I decided to take
> the old one into the shop for a check up because it had been having
> problems. Not being all that knowledgeable about how things worked, I
> wasn't even sure if the second PC would still have it's internet
> connection or the phone would still work (without the 'main' computer
> it had always been hooked up to). To my surprise, everything worked
> fine while the old Compaq was in the shop. But, the technician at the
> shop ended up having to reinstall Windows XP Home. When I got it home
> everything continues to be fine, but now I can't seem to enable file
> and print sharing between the two PC's any longer. Furthermore, in
> looking into things with what little time I have had to spare, it
> seems that none of the Network Security measures were ever turned on
> by the man I hired to install the Wireless network for me. (Yeah, I
> know, I could have bought the stuff and installed it myself, but I
> wanted it done right. I paid the guy $50 an hour to come out and get
> everything running...)
>
> Would it be wise to just unplug the wireless router, hit the factory
> default reset button on the back, and try to start over from scratch?
> Will I lose my internet connection and my phone if I do? Should I bite
> the bullet and pay this guy to come back and get me up and running
> again? PS I bought my wife a Dell Laptop for Christmas, it's on it's
> way here now.... so of course I am broke. Now there will be 3 PC's on
> the wireless network.
>
> Advice? Suggestions?

If XP Home was clean installed and SP2 was included, the Windows
Firewall is probably on. If there is a third-party firewall, turn the
Windows Firewall off and put your lan IP range in the firewall's
exceptions as Trusted. If you are only using the Windows Firewall, then
put the lan IP range in *its* exceptions as Trusted. See if that helps
with your file and printer sharing.

As for the second part of your question, I'm not sure what you mean by
turning on the network security measures. Do you mean enabling WEP?
Give us a bit more information about that.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Yes, I forgot to mention that- both PC's are both now enjoying SP2 for the
first time- part of the problem was that I could never successfully load it
from Microsofts website- didn't know I could request the CD from them.
Also finally upgraded my Norton Antivirus to 2005 for both PC's- as you
suggest I will check the firewall settings.
Yes I am wary of security and want to enable WEP- have heard too many
stories of 'everybody gets it free' high speed wireless connections in dorms
and such because one or two people subscribe to a service and eveybody else
just piggy backs on theirs. Of course, my main fear is that someone could
break into my system and steal personal info.
Thanks for your help so far Malke. You could have just saved me $$.

Malke

Dan2 Miller wrote:

> Yes, I forgot to mention that- both PC's are both now enjoying SP2 for
> the first time- part of the problem was that I could never
> successfully load it from Microsofts website- didn't know I could
> request the CD from them. Also finally upgraded my Norton Antivirus to
> 2005 for both PC's- as you suggest I will check the firewall settings.
> Yes I am wary of security and want to enable WEP- have heard too many
> stories of 'everybody gets it free' high speed wireless connections in
> dorms and such because one or two people subscribe to a service and
> eveybody else just piggy backs on theirs. Of course, my main fear is
> that someone could break into my system and steal personal info.
> Thanks for your help so far Malke. You could have just saved me $$.

OK, for the WEP - presumably you are using a wireless router. Go into
the router's configuration settings. How you do this depends on the
router. Look in the manual or go to the maker's website and read about
how to set it up there. Most routers are configured by opening your
browser (Internet Explorer, for example) and entering the router's IP
address. For instance, for a Linksys router in the browser's addressbar
you would enter: http://192.168.1.1 [enter] which would bring you to
the login. Again, the proper login credentials depend on your router's
default settings. It might be no username and the password "admin", but
you will have to look it up.

Once you've logged in, go to the wireless settings. Make a note of the
SSID name and change it to something you like. Write it down. Find the
security settings and enable WEP. WPA is a stronger encryption scheme,
but not all hardware supports it. You have to check your hardware
manuals. Lots of routers offer you the chance to use a passphrase which
will generate a key. If your router has this, do this and write down
the key, not the passphrase. You will not use the passphrase again.

Then you're done with the router. Go to your computers and set up your
wireless, matching the SSID and WEP key to that of the router. Here's a
link to an MS article about wireless setup:

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

peter

I think the login name and password have to be the same on both PC in order
to share files. Perhaps the name/password was changed when the OS was
reinstalled?

If both PCs can access the internet, there's no need to reset the wireless
router and start over.

Malke

peter wrote:

> I think the login name and password have to be the same on both PC in
> order to share files. Perhaps the name/password was changed when the
> OS was reinstalled?
>
> If both PCs can access the internet, there's no need to reset the
> wireless router and start over.

Actually, this isn't true. I believe you are thinking about that
identical usernames/passwords must exist on all machines (if Guest
access is disabled - for better security). You don't have to be logged
in on the same account; the requesting account just needs to be
authenticated as someone who is allowed to access shared resources.

Malke