Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista to 7 upgrade, clean viruses b4 upgrade?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Malware
  • Windows Vista
  • HP Touchsmart
Last response: in Windows 7
January 14, 2011 9:15:13 PM

I have a HP Touchsmart that is full of malware. I want to upgrade from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. Question is, will the upgrade wipe the hard drive thus getting rid of the viruses? Wondering if I need to clean viruses first. Thanks very much.

More about : vista upgrade clean viruses upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2011 9:30:17 PM

ckmckee said:
IQuestion is, will the upgrade wipe the hard drive thus getting rid of the viruses? Wondering if I need to clean viruses first. Thanks very much.
Hello ckmckee;
It depends on the type of malware and how it's installed. If it's hooked into the OS the OS upgrade (Vista-> Win7 could take care of it).
If the malware is hooked in with any programs you're using just the OS upgrade won't remove them from your system.
-> Definitely clean house before you upgrade.

You could also do a Win7 install to a new partition and not install directly over Vista in your current OS partition.
http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

m
l
January 14, 2011 11:36:52 PM

Just wondering why you haven't cleaned the viruses? There are several good free anti-virus programs available.
m
l
Related resources
a c 421 $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 1:44:20 AM

do a clean install it;s always the best bet!
m
l
January 15, 2011 2:05:54 AM

Also, prior to doing a clean install, try and backup your non-infected data. Or at least the data that you'll need, as it will be gone once you complete the install.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 2:51:48 AM

If you upgrade with viruses on your computer you run a risk of having the upgrade fail. You will then have the problem of recovering your data. Do as has been previously suggested of backing up your data and doing a clean install.
m
l
January 15, 2011 7:25:27 AM

This pc had 310 infections in Malwarebytes quarantine, and many other problems. Rather than a virus-cleaning, looks like I will have to do a system recovery using the pre-made disks to get it clean. Is this what you mean when you say I need to do a clean install? I have never done an upgrade before.

So I would do a system recovery on Vista, then proceed with the Windows 7 upgrade? Please advise. Thanks very much.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 8:03:16 AM

I don’t know what Windows 7disk/ licence that you have, have you got the upgrade version? If so you will have to reinstall Vista using your recovery disks. Make sure that you back up your data before doing a Vista reinstall using your recovery disks as any data on the drive WILL be overwritten. It is better if possible to do a clean install of Windows 7 for many reasons not least is that it can take a very very long time to do an upgrade.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 8:29:11 AM

ckmckee said:
So I would do a system recovery on Vista, then proceed with the Windows 7 upgrade?
That way would certainly work. You might have some other options that could save you that step.
What size hard drive do you have and how much free space is on it? Any other hard drives in the system?

m
l

Best solution

January 15, 2011 7:01:22 PM

Go to Paul Thurrott's Supersite for windows article called "Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media"

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-...
January 16, 2011 2:59:48 AM

Prescott_666, I went to the website you mentioned and read it. The article is thorough and sounds like just what I need. I will attempt this Monday and will get back to you all on the results.
m
l
January 16, 2011 8:57:46 PM

As suggested, I'm in process of doing a clean install of Windows 7 over my Vista virus ridden operating system. In process of formatting drive now, however 2 partitions are showing up. Does the HP Touchsmart IQ504 store restoration files on disk 0, partition 2? Do we need to format this also?
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:02:18 PM

Forgot to add that the 2nd partition shows that of the 11 GB of space, only 1.5 GB is free. There is 10 GB of some kind of data on this partition. Seems like whats on there may be a restore or recovery partition????? Does anyone agree? If this is the case, then we should format the 2nd partiton as well in to avoid possible compatibility issues? Help!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2011 11:13:21 PM

ckmckee said:
the 2nd partition shows that of the 11 GB of space, only 1.5 GB is free.
Correct. That is your orignal Vista recovery partition. No need to do anything to that.
Work with the bigger partition.
m
l
January 23, 2011 8:13:23 PM

Hi, I received an email from Tom's Hardware saying I have a new reply to this thread. I thought I had already selected your answer as the best (since it helped me the most) and this thread was closed. Here's what the email said:

"Hello ,
your thread "Vista to 7 upgrade, clean viruses b4 upgrade?" has received some answers. We invite you to review these, and select the best one as your “Best Answer” (click on the gold cup above it).
Click here to review the answers to your question: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum//forum2.php?config=to...
Selecting a "Best Answer" will help the community to easily spot answers to similar issues or questions.
Thank you for contributing the Tom's Hardware community
The Tom's Hardware community team"

So I went into the thread and see no new replies, only what appears to be an advertisement added to the thread. Do you know why this happening? Or maybe I did not select the best answer and close the thread after all ???? I don't know if you are one of the higher level people on the site but I thought you might know, or be able to forward this to the Tom's Hardware Community Team. I do not know how.

If I'm getting emails just because an advertisement has been added to the thread, this seems wrong. Please, if you have the time and ability, help me figure out how to forward this to the Tom's Team. Thanks again for your help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prescott_666 said:
Go to Paul Thurrott's Supersite for windows article called "Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media"

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-...

m
l
January 23, 2011 8:18:38 PM

Best answer selected by ckmckee.
m
l
!