P2B Tat 14.g upgrade - fans ?

Fan/heatsink question...

I bought a few of the slot-t with 1.4G tat from Straton which came
with the Intel fans. They work great with one hitch. I have these
installed in Mitek cases with slide out mobo trays. The top of the
slocket is very close to the PS in this case - there's no room for
the fan to stick up higher than the slocket (from the plane of the
mobo). I managed to get them to fit by trimming the intel heatsink
by about 1/4". However, it was an uncomfortable job that I don't
want to have to do again if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know if the alternative fan (cooler master?) is shorter
i.e. no higher than the top of the slocket ?

Thanks

-Bob- wrote:

> Fan/heatsink question...
>
> I bought a few of the slot-t with 1.4G tat from Straton which came
> with the Intel fans. They work great with one hitch. I have these
> installed in Mitek cases with slide out mobo trays. The top of the
> slocket is very close to the PS in this case - there's no room for
> the fan to stick up higher than the slocket (from the plane of the
> mobo). I managed to get them to fit by trimming the intel heatsink
> by about 1/4". However, it was an uncomfortable job that I don't
> want to have to do again if I can avoid it.
>
> Does anyone know if the alternative fan (cooler master?) is shorter
> i.e. no higher than the top of the slocket ?

AFAIK all non-Intel Socket 370 coolers (Cooler Master included) rated
for Tualatin processors use 60mm x 10mm fans, and are designed so the
fan is centered over the CPU socket - which is 54mm high and set 2mm
below the top of the slot-t adapter. As a result (assuming the heatsink
is the same size as the fan - usually the case) the best you can do is
approximately 1mm higher than the top of the adapter vs. approximately
6mm for the Intel cooler.

If that's still too high, you might consider coolers designed for older
Socket 370 processors - for example, the Intel cooler supplied with the
Celeron 500 is the same size as the CPU socket and would most likely be
adequate for a Tualatin 1.4Ghz provided you are not overclocking.

HTH

P2B

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try buying newer intel cooler or older! that should fit, I had same problem
with Titan cooler, but I found intel cooler which is smaller then titan
cooler and it fits fine!!

P2B wrote:

> -Bob- wrote:
>
>> Fan/heatsink question...
>>
>> I bought a few of the slot-t with 1.4G tat from Straton which came
>> with the Intel fans. They work great with one hitch. I have these
>> installed in Mitek cases with slide out mobo trays. The top of the
>> slocket is very close to the PS in this case - there's no room for the
>> fan to stick up higher than the slocket (from the plane of the
>> mobo). I managed to get them to fit by trimming the intel heatsink by
>> about 1/4". However, it was an uncomfortable job that I don't want to
>> have to do again if I can avoid it.
>> Does anyone know if the alternative fan (cooler master?) is shorter
>> i.e. no higher than the top of the slocket ?
>

> AFAIK all non-Intel Socket 370 coolers (Cooler Master included) rated
> for Tualatin processors use 60mm x 10mm fans, and are designed so the
> fan is centered over the CPU socket - which is 54mm high and set 2mm
> below the top of the slot-t adapter. As a result (assuming the heatsink
> is the same size as the fan - usually the case) the best you can do is
> approximately 1mm higher than the top of the adapter vs. approximately
> 6mm for the Intel cooler.
>
> If that's still too high, you might consider coolers designed for older
> Socket 370 processors - for example, the Intel cooler supplied with the
> Celeron 500 is the same size as the CPU socket and would most likely be
> adequate for a Tualatin 1.4Ghz provided you are not overclocking.
That's exactly what I've done, I've used the stock intel cooler for the
celeron 566 on my tualatin cpu (albeit with a different fan). Might
limit you a bit on overclocking, but otherwise runs fine (actually, not
quite, but that's another topic...).
The exchanged heasink/fan though unfortunately did nothing to make it
easier to remove the cpu/slotket from the board. Case is designed so you
can slide out the whole motherboard tray, unfortunately the slotket is
too tall. Which means I have to remove the slotket in the case, but
that's of course impossible because the PSU gets in the way. Removing
the PSU helps somewhat, with a brute force approach I can manage to get
the slotket out of the slot (the psu bracket is still in the way...).
btw has the slot-t adapter the right size (i.e. not larger than regular
slot-1 cpus)?

Roland

Roland Scheidegger wrote:

[snip]

> btw has the slot-t adapter the right size (i.e. not larger than regular
> slot-1 cpus)?

No, are there any adapters which aren't taller than a slot-1 CPU?

Asus S370-DL and Slot-T are both 69.5mm. PIII 450 is 63mm (all
measurements are total height including edge connector).

P2B

P2B wrote:

> Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> btw has the slot-t adapter the right size (i.e. not larger than
>> regular slot-1 cpus)?
>

> No, are there any adapters which aren't taller than a slot-1 CPU?

I think the PowerLeap adapter was the same size as the Slot 1 CPU it
replaced in my system. It fit into the same retention mechanism without
any problems.

P2B wrote:

> Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> btw has the slot-t adapter the right size (i.e. not larger than
>> regular slot-1 cpus)?
>

> No, are there any adapters which aren't taller than a slot-1 CPU?
>
> Asus S370-DL and Slot-T are both 69.5mm. PIII 450 is 63mm (all
> measurements are total height including edge connector).

Are all slot-1 cpus with all the different retention mechanisms the same
height? Or maybe ~70mm is the maximum height a slot1 cpu is allowed to
have, at least I believe that the s370-dl was supposed to have a "legal"
height which should fit anywhere.
The soltek adapter is IIRC according to manufacturer information 14mm
taller than a slot1 cpu, at least there was a warning somewhere it might
not fit everywhere...

Roland

Roland Scheidegger wrote:

> P2B wrote:
>

>> Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> btw has the slot-t adapter the right size (i.e. not larger than
>>> regular slot-1 cpus)?
>>

>> No, are there any adapters which aren't taller than a slot-1 CPU?
>>
>> Asus S370-DL and Slot-T are both 69.5mm. PIII 450 is 63mm (all
>> measurements are total height including edge connector).
>

> Are all slot-1 cpus with all the different retention mechanisms the same
> height? Or maybe ~70mm is the maximum height a slot1 cpu is allowed to
> have, at least I believe that the s370-dl was supposed to have a "legal"
> height which should fit anywhere.

I don't have many Slot-1 processors - sold all the faster ones in pairs
on eBay for silly prices :)

PII 400 and PIII 450 are both 63mm. C300A is 58mm. I suppose one could
pore through the datasheets to discover how much they varied.

It would be difficult to design an adapter much under 70mm - the socket,
lever, and edge connector add up to almost that!

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:20:24 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I don't have many Slot-1 processors - sold all the faster ones in pairs
>on eBay for silly prices :)
>
>PII 400 and PIII 450 are both 63mm. C300A is 58mm. I suppose one could
>pore through the datasheets to discover how much they varied.
>
>It would be difficult to design an adapter much under 70mm - the socket,
>lever, and edge connector add up to almost that!

I don't have an issue with the slot-t slocket, it clears by a couple
of mm. The issue is that with the (official) Intel fans/sink that
Straton sent me, the heatsink extends above the _slocket_ by around
8 mm.

It almost sound like these Intel sinks are bigger than normal from the
size descriptions here. Maybe I should pull one and measure it.

-Bob- wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:20:24 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>I don't have many Slot-1 processors - sold all the faster ones in pairs
>>on eBay for silly prices :)
>>
>>PII 400 and PIII 450 are both 63mm. C300A is 58mm. I suppose one could
>>pore through the datasheets to discover how much they varied.
>>
>>It would be difficult to design an adapter much under 70mm - the socket,
>>lever, and edge connector add up to almost that!
>

> I don't have an issue with the slot-t slocket, it clears by a couple
> of mm. The issue is that with the (official) Intel fans/sink that
> Straton sent me, the heatsink extends above the _slocket_ by around
> 8 mm.
>
> It almost sound like these Intel sinks are bigger than normal from the
> size descriptions here. Maybe I should pull one and measure it.

Yes, it does sound like you may have slightly larger Intel sinks than
I'm used to seeing. The Celeron 1A sinks I have are 68mm H x 64.5mm W
and extend 2mm above a Slot-T, while the P3-S 1.4 sinks are 74.5mm H x
64.5mm W and extend 5.5mm.

You need a sink no more than 64mm high to avoid extension above the
adapter. I normally use 1U copper coolers (they need to be thin as well
for dual CPU systems) which are typically 60x60mm - e.g. Vantek CCK6012.
Coolermaster DP5-6G11 are also 60x60mm but cheaper in aluminum.

P2B

-Bob- wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:20:24 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>I don't have many Slot-1 processors - sold all the faster ones in pairs
>>on eBay for silly prices :)
>>
>>PII 400 and PIII 450 are both 63mm. C300A is 58mm. I suppose one could
>>pore through the datasheets to discover how much they varied.
>>
>>It would be difficult to design an adapter much under 70mm - the socket,
>>lever, and edge connector add up to almost that!
>

> I don't have an issue with the slot-t slocket, it clears by a couple
> of mm.
Yes, the soltek slotket is 75mm instead of 70 - with that you would have
a problem with the slotket itself...

> It almost sound like these Intel sinks are bigger than normal from the
> size descriptions here. Maybe I should pull one and measure it.
I'm not sure what you'd describe as "normal". Heatsinks surely were
smaller earlier, but 65x80mm isn't that large nowadays ;-). I'm
confident that it fits very well in the keep-out area of any tualatin board.

Roland