Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 5, 2004 12:05:03 AM

Hi all,

I made a small home network using two Bluetooth (1.1) USB (1.1) Adapters
connected to the two PC's I have at home. Everything went fine (i.e. the file
sharing and stuff), now I want to connect to the internet using ICS feature
in Windows XP.

I connect to the internet using DSL connection through DSL modem conneted to
the PC that runs Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 (the other PC runs Windows
Xp Pro with SP2). To setup ICS I used Network Setup Wizard; but I, still, can
not share the connection, even more; when I tryed to do it manually; I could
not find the option for ICS in the advansed tab of the properties of my DSL
connection (i.e. right click "Start > Control Panel > Network Connections >
My DSL Connection" then Properties > Advanced)?!!!

Is ther is something wrong I did? Or I missed something I have to do?

Please help, and thanks in advance.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:27:31 PM

Click here;
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Bill Crocker

"TheBlueSky" <TheBlueSky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I made a small home network using two Bluetooth (1.1) USB (1.1) Adapters
> connected to the two PC's I have at home. Everything went fine (i.e. the
> file
> sharing and stuff), now I want to connect to the internet using ICS
> feature
> in Windows XP.
>
> I connect to the internet using DSL connection through DSL modem conneted
> the PC that runs Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 (the other PC runs
> Windows
> Xp Pro with SP2). To setup ICS I used Network Setup Wizard; but I, still,
> can
> not share the connection, even more; when I tryed to do it manually; I
> could
> not find the option for ICS in the advansed tab of the properties of my
> DSL
> connection (i.e. right click "Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
> >
> My DSL Connection" then Properties > Advanced)?!!!
>
> Is ther is something wrong I did? Or I missed something I have to do?
>
> Please help, and thanks in advance.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:55:03 PM

Thank you Mr. Bill Crocker for your help.

I refered to the URL you provided... It has very useful and easy to follow
information, although it could not help me too mutch.

The reason why it could not help is when I read to the step that says:
"Click the Advanced tab, then check Allow other network users to connect
through this computer's Internet connection." on
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serv... I stop;
because there are no option like that on my dial-up (DSL) connection
properties to check, there is only the Intenet Connection Firewall option and
nothing else!!! And here where my problem lies.

My question is: why this option is not displayed on the advanced properties
of my DSL connection?!!! Do I have to install something or make some
configurations that I missed?

Any comments and further help, please.

Thanks in advance.

"Bill Crocker" wrote:

> Click here;
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
>
> Bill Crocker
Related resources
December 16, 2004 12:25:04 PM

Go to control panel, Add Remove programs, Add remove windows components,
Highlight Networking services, click details. Make sure that "Inernet
Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" is checked.

Neil

"TheBlueSky" wrote:

> Thank you Mr. Bill Crocker for your help.
>
> I refered to the URL you provided... It has very useful and easy to follow
> information, although it could not help me too mutch.
>
> The reason why it could not help is when I read to the step that says:
> "Click the Advanced tab, then check Allow other network users to connect
> through this computer's Internet connection." on
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serv... I stop;
> because there are no option like that on my dial-up (DSL) connection
> properties to check, there is only the Intenet Connection Firewall option and
> nothing else!!! And here where my problem lies.
>
> My question is: why this option is not displayed on the advanced properties
> of my DSL connection?!!! Do I have to install something or make some
> configurations that I missed?
>
> Any comments and further help, please.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> "Bill Crocker" wrote:
>
> > Click here;
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
> >
> > Bill Crocker

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:23:05 PM

Thanks "Neil" for posting...

Unfortunately it is already checked :(

I do not no why there is no ICS option for my connection, there is nothing I
found in MS website, Windows help or the whole net that could be helpful!!!
Where can I find someone may help?!!! This is MS support pages and no one can
guide me to solve this problem!!!

"Neil" wrote:

> Go to control panel, Add Remove programs, Add remove windows components,
> Highlight Networking services, click details. Make sure that "Inernet
> Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" is checked.
>
> Neil
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:27:05 PM

Thanks "Neil" for posting,

Unfortunately it is already checked.

I do not know why there is no ICS option for my connection!!! I searched MS
website, Windows help and the whole net to find any thing that may help; but
I found nothing!!! This is MS support page and I could not find support, so,
where can I go to find such support?!!!

"Neil" wrote:

> Go to control panel, Add Remove programs, Add remove windows components,
> Highlight Networking services, click details. Make sure that "Inernet
> Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" is checked.
>
> Neil
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:11:03 PM

I've got the same problem did you ever find a solution?

"TheBlueSky" wrote:

> Thanks "Neil" for posting,
>
> Unfortunately it is already checked.
>
> I do not know why there is no ICS option for my connection!!! I searched MS
> website, Windows help and the whole net to find any thing that may help; but
> I found nothing!!! This is MS support page and I could not find support, so,
> where can I go to find such support?!!!
>
> "Neil" wrote:
>
> > Go to control panel, Add Remove programs, Add remove windows components,
> > Highlight Networking services, click details. Make sure that "Inernet
> > Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" is checked.
> >
> > Neil

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:11:03 PM

Unfortunately no...