P4R800-VM memory problems

geoff

I have one 512MB Corsair CMX 3200LL DDR400 double sided DIMM installed in
DIMM_A1 slot. It runs at 333MHz because (I think) this motherboard only
runs single sided DIMMs at 400MHz.

Today, I bought another 512MB double sided DIMM, this one labelled ARIA
R6464D47-BU1RDC9A, which is pretty much a generic DDR400 DIMM.

I have tried the module in all 3 remaining slots and the system won't boot.
If installed by itself, it boots OK so I guess it's not faulty. I have
upgraded the BIOS to v1003 and set the BIOS RAM timing to slow - still won't
boot with the 2 modules installed.

I don't particularly need to run the memory in dual-channel mode. I just
want 1GB.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I believe the Corsair LL RAM is pretty
hard to find at present. I could buy another generic chip, but I'm not even
sure this will work.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Geoff

Geoff wrote:

> I have one 512MB Corsair CMX 3200LL DDR400 double sided DIMM installed
> in DIMM_A1 slot. It runs at 333MHz because (I think) this motherboard
> only runs single sided DIMMs at 400MHz.
>
> Today, I bought another 512MB double sided DIMM, this one labelled ARIA
> R6464D47-BU1RDC9A, which is pretty much a generic DDR400 DIMM.
>
> I have tried the module in all 3 remaining slots and the system won't
> boot. If installed by itself, it boots OK so I guess it's not faulty. I
> have upgraded the BIOS to v1003 and set the BIOS RAM timing to slow -
> still won't boot with the 2 modules installed.
>
> I don't particularly need to run the memory in dual-channel mode. I
> just want 1GB.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I believe the Corsair LL RAM is
> pretty hard to find at present. I could buy another generic chip, but
> I'm not even sure this will work.

If you have the P4R800 VM motherboard, you need one single-sided PC3200
(DDR400) DIMM per channel.

See: http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4R800-VM&langs=01

--
regards, victor

geoff

> If you have the P4R800 VM motherboard, you need one single-sided PC3200
> (DDR400) DIMM per channel.
>
> See: http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4R800-VM&langs=01
>
> --
> regards, victor

Victor
Thanks for the reply. I don't really mind if the double sided DIMMs run at
333, just as long as I can get the board to recognise both 512MB chips (ie
1GB). At the moment, whenever I put two the double sided DIMMs in, the
system won't boot. Either one on its own boots fine.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can solve this problem somehow.
regards
Geoff