A7N8X-E Dlx, 3200+, Kingston Valueram, setup problem.....

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 9:35:40 AM

I have a new

A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+ oem, and 1gb Kinston Valuemax (two matched 512
sticks), and I can't get it up to 2.2 ghz.

(The package was bought from Mwave and I assumed it would function as
implied by the advertisement.)

I have it in a Antec 1080 with a Maxtor 120gb Ultra ATA 133.

About the best I've been able to get is 180 ghz cpu & memory @
3-3-3-8.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

TIA
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 3:57:32 PM

>I have a new
>
>A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+ oem, and 1gb Kinston Valuemax (two matched 512
>sticks), and I can't get it up to 2.2 ghz.
>
>(The package was bought from Mwave and I assumed it would function as
>implied by the advertisement.)
>
>I have it in a Antec 1080 with a Maxtor 120gb Ultra ATA 133.
>
>About the best I've been able to get is 180 ghz cpu & memory @
>3-3-3-8.
>
>I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
>TIA

I get 197 with generic RAM on 8 NF2 boards, 2 are A7N8x DLX. Lock RAM
to 100%, AGP to 66Mhz, give those sticks 2.7 or 2.8volts for
stability.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 4:01:20 PM

"Ron Todd" <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a new
>
> A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+ oem, and 1gb Kinston Valuemax (two matched 512
> sticks), and I can't get it up to 2.2 ghz.
>
> (The package was bought from Mwave and I assumed it would function as
> implied by the advertisement.)
>
> I have it in a Antec 1080 with a Maxtor 120gb Ultra ATA 133.
>
> About the best I've been able to get is 180 ghz cpu & memory @
> 3-3-3-8.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> TIA

180ghz kinda impressive that..
forgiving typo's however..
Is the ram pc3200

Whats the temps at when say it's running underspec (166 or 180 or whatever)
(would make sure this is good before going much farther, cpu die should def
be under 60, probably 40-50 or maybee a little higher if it's in a verry hot
env)

Have you tried lowering the ram speed (putting it out of sync) to make the
ram run slower (just to see if the cpu is running okay at 2.2ghz), In fact I
would probably try it both ways
fsb @ 100 & ram @ 200%
fsb @ 200 & ram @ 50%
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 7:15:17 PM

> I get 197 with generic RAM on 8 NF2 boards, 2 are A7N8x DLX. Lock RAM
> to 100%, AGP to 66Mhz, give those sticks 2.7 or 2.8volts for
> stability.

I get about 215 using twinmos sticks (not the matched stuff)
and to be honest, I am not sure if it's the memory, the NB or the cpu that
is falling over at 215..
At 210 I can run memtest & prime95 with no errors at all (cpu does get a lil
warm).. He shouldnt need to bump voltages up to reach the rated speeds of
his chip&ram (not saying it wouldnt help however)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2004 7:54:03 PM

I have the exact same problem with the same hardware (BIOS v1009-not even on
Asus web site yet)-I got cpu at 2200 by slowing mem to 166mhz. (FSB at
333mhz.) System runs great, however I paid for much faster performance.
Board will not run at 400mhz in any mem config (single stick, two sticks,
dual channel, single channel, changing slots). If any one has a solution
please let us know. Thanks

"Ron Todd" <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a new
>
> A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+ oem, and 1gb Kinston Valuemax (two matched 512
> sticks), and I can't get it up to 2.2 ghz.
>
> (The package was bought from Mwave and I assumed it would function as
> implied by the advertisement.)
>
> I have it in a Antec 1080 with a Maxtor 120gb Ultra ATA 133.
>
> About the best I've been able to get is 180 ghz cpu & memory @
> 3-3-3-8.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> TIA

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 2:13:27 AM

"Paul E. LePage" <Paul1@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> I have the exact same problem with the same hardware (BIOS v1009-not even
on
> Asus web site yet)-I got cpu at 2200 by slowing mem to 166mhz. (FSB at
> 333mhz.) System runs great, however I paid for much faster performance.
> Board will not run at 400mhz in any mem config (single stick, two sticks,
> dual channel, single channel, changing slots). If any one has a solution
> please let us know. Thanks

Your listing it just like the other guy
this "Kingston Valueram"..
Is that all the info you can provide.. The web page list a ddr400 table of
recommended ram
"Kingston KVR400X64
C25/256 2.5 256MB Single Winbond W942508BH-5
"

If it's not ddr400 ram then you simply cant run the ram in sync and keep the
fsb at 200..
So if you do have t he KVR 400 X 64 C25/256 then it should be spot on..
http://www.valueram.com/config/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=...

Post back with the ram that you have and maybee someone can help
If you bought the 3a stuff then you'll have to relax your timings ..
Anyhow, More detail on the ram please
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:31:32 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:01:20 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
wrote:

>"Ron Todd" <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I have a new
>>
>> A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+ oem, and 1gb Kinston Valuemax (two matched 512
>> sticks), and I can't get it up to 2.2 ghz.
>>
>> (The package was bought from Mwave and I assumed it would function as
>> implied by the advertisement.)
>>
>> I have it in a Antec 1080 with a Maxtor 120gb Ultra ATA 133.
>>
>> About the best I've been able to get is 180 ghz cpu & memory @
>> 3-3-3-8.
>>
>> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>180ghz kinda impressive that..
>forgiving typo's however..

Sorry, I am kind of distracted.......

>Is the ram pc3200

Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....

>Whats the temps at when say it's running underspec (166 or 180 or whatever)
>(would make sure this is good before going much farther, cpu die should def
>be under 60, probably 40-50 or maybee a little higher if it's in a verry hot
>env)

About 43 degrees F over room temp according to ASIS Probe 2.

>Have you tried lowering the ram speed (putting it out of sync) to make the
>ram run slower (just to see if the cpu is running okay at 2.2ghz), In fact I
>would probably try it both ways
>fsb @ 100 & ram @ 200%

Interesting, I'll give this a shot later.

>fsb @ 200 & ram @ 50%

Tried this, locked up tight, had to go through the battery removal
chore.

tnx
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:33:24 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:57:32 GMT, Andrew J <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
wrote:

>>I have a new
>>
>>A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+ oem, and 1gb Kinston Valuemax (two matched 512
>>sticks), and I can't get it up to 2.2 ghz.
>>
>>(The package was bought from Mwave and I assumed it would function as
>>implied by the advertisement.)
>>
>>I have it in a Antec 1080 with a Maxtor 120gb Ultra ATA 133.
>>
>>About the best I've been able to get is 180 ghz cpu & memory @
>>3-3-3-8.
>>
>>I would appreciate any suggestions.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>I get 197 with generic RAM on 8 NF2 boards, 2 are A7N8x DLX. Lock RAM
>to 100%, AGP to 66Mhz, give those sticks 2.7 or 2.8volts for
>stability.

Tried that, at 190, continuously reboots Windows XP Home. No joy.

Tnx.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:35:09 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:15:17 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
wrote:

>> I get 197 with generic RAM on 8 NF2 boards, 2 are A7N8x DLX. Lock RAM
>> to 100%, AGP to 66Mhz, give those sticks 2.7 or 2.8volts for
>> stability.
>

>I get about 215 using twinmos sticks (not the matched stuff)
>and to be honest, I am not sure if it's the memory, the NB or the cpu that
>is falling over at 215..
>At 210 I can run memtest & prime95 with no errors at all (cpu does get a lil
>warm).. He shouldnt need to bump voltages up to reach the rated speeds of
>his chip&ram (not saying it wouldnt help however)

I am beginning to think it was a mistake to buy a package instead of
buying by the piece like I usually do. Left to my own devices I would
never have selected the budget Kingston sticks.

TNX
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:42:31 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:13:27 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
wrote:

>"Paul E. LePage" <Paul1@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>> I have the exact same problem with the same hardware (BIOS v1009-not even
>on
>> Asus web site yet)-I got cpu at 2200 by slowing mem to 166mhz. (FSB at
>> 333mhz.) System runs great, however I paid for much faster performance.
>> Board will not run at 400mhz in any mem config (single stick, two sticks,
>> dual channel, single channel, changing slots). If any one has a solution
>> please let us know. Thanks
>>

>Your listing it just like the other guy
>this "Kingston Valueram"..
>Is that all the info you can provide.. The web page list a ddr400 table of
>recommended ram
>"Kingston KVR400X64
> C25/256 2.5 256MB Single Winbond W942508BH-5
>"
>
>If it's not ddr400 ram then you simply cant run the ram in sync and keep the
>fsb at 200..
>So if you do have t he KVR 400 X 64 C25/256 then it should be spot on..
>http://www.valueram.com/config/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=...
>
>Post back with the ram that you have and maybee someone can help
>If you bought the 3a stuff then you'll have to relax your timings ..
>Anyhow, More detail on the ram please

This is what I have, manually set to 3-3-3-8, which is also the spd
setting.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....

I fear I made a grave error in referring to it as "valueram, " rather
than taking the time to give the correct citation of
KVR400X64C3AK2/1G.

tnx
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:42:32 AM

That is the memory I use on my A7N8x-E. Two sticks, run asdouble channel,
and they work perfectly.

> This is what I have, manually set to 3-3-3-8, which is also the spd
> setting.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....

> I fear I made a grave error in referring to it as "valueram, " rather
> than taking the time to give the correct citation of
> KVR400X64C3AK2/1G.
>

> tnx

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 8:13:47 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:55:41 -0400, "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:

>That is the memory I use on my A7N8x-E. Two sticks, run asdouble channel,
>and they work perfectly.
>>
>> This is what I have, manually set to 3-3-3-8, which is also the spd
>> setting.
>>

>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....
>>
>> I fear I made a grave error in referring to it as "valueram, " rather
>> than taking the time to give the correct citation of
>> KVR400X64C3AK2/1G.
>>

>> tnx

Are you running a XP 3200+ at 200mhz, 100% FSB?

tnx
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 11:39:50 AM

DUH Yes mine IS DDR 400, Asus approved part, I spoke to a kingston support
rep last night and he said not all identical part numbers are the same-
revision number comes into play, he said some will not work on this board
even though its the right part number. I'll post more info on it later
today.

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:55:41 -0400, "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:
>
> >That is the memory I use on my A7N8x-E. Two sticks, run asdouble
channel,
> >and they work perfectly.
> >>
> >> This is what I have, manually set to 3-3-3-8, which is also the spd
> >> setting.
> >>

>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....
X64C3AK2/1G

> >> I fear I made a grave error in referring to it as "valueram, " rather
> >> than taking the time to give the correct citation of
> >> KVR400X64C3AK2/1G.
> >>

> >> tnx
> >>

> Are you running a XP 3200+ at 200mhz, 100% FSB?
>
> tnx

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2004 5:14:48 PM

> I am beginning to think it was a mistake to buy a package instead of
> buying by the piece like I usually do. Left to my own devices I would
> never have selected the budget Kingston sticks.
>
> TNX

To be honest, I think the board is just a little picky with ram sometimes..
I have heard lots of complaints about Kingston and this board. I seem to
remember some people complaining about OCZ And Kingston HyperX ram..

Still.. I say make sure it's not the processor and set the frequency's
around like I suggested earlier
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 5:33:46 AM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:39:50 -0400, "Paul E. LePage"
<Paul1@chartermi.net> wrote:

>DUH Yes mine IS DDR 400, Asus approved part, I spoke to a kingston support
>rep last night and he said not all identical part numbers are the same-
>revision number comes into play, he said some will not work on this board
>even though its the right part number. I'll post more info on it later
>today.
>

>"Ron Todd" <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:55:41 -0400, "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >That is the memory I use on my A7N8x-E. Two sticks, run asdouble
>channel,
>> >and they work perfectly.

>>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....
>X64C3AK2/1G

>> Are you running a XP 3200+ at 200mhz, 100% FSB?
>>
>> tnx

Yes, I have heard that story before. The manufacture keeps the same
part number but changes suppliers depending on the market. Buyer ends
up with what ever is in the line at a particular time.

At the present I am leaning toward the memory problem, just hate
biteing the bullet and going to Fry's for replacement sticks. I think
I will try to exhause the other options before laying some more bucks
down.

tnx
May 1, 2004 6:15:44 AM

My friend bought this board from TCWO and experienced many problems
with blue screens. He bought two sticiks of DDR 3200 and only one
stick would run good at 200MHz. On memtest86 one stick failed many of
the tests.He exchanged the one stick and the problem continued. The
newer stick also failed the memtest86 tests.
He then ordered two 512 sticks from crucial and he is now running rock
solid.

Rico

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:13:47 GMT, Ron Todd
<rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:55:41 -0400, "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:
>
>>That is the memory I use on my A7N8x-E. Two sticks, run asdouble channel,
>>and they work perfectly.
>>>
>>> This is what I have, manually set to 3-3-3-8, which is also the spd
>>> setting.
>>>

>>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....
>>>
>>> I fear I made a grave error in referring to it as "valueram, " rather
>>> than taking the time to give the correct citation of
>>> KVR400X64C3AK2/1G.
>>>

>>> tnx
>>>

>Are you running a XP 3200+ at 200mhz, 100% FSB?
>
>tnx
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 6:15:45 AM

Kingston sending me 2 sticks of KVR400X64C3AK2, their engineers say it will
work for me. We'll see if it works-if not I think I'll try Crucial/Micron.
I'll let you know how it works on Monday. Any idea what Crucial part number?

"Rico" <Rico@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My friend bought this board from TCWO and experienced many problems
> with blue screens. He bought two sticiks of DDR 3200 and only one
> stick would run good at 200MHz. On memtest86 one stick failed many of
> the tests.He exchanged the one stick and the problem continued. The
> newer stick also failed the memtest86 tests.
> He then ordered two 512 sticks from crucial and he is now running rock
> solid.
>
> Rico
>
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:13:47 GMT, Ron Todd
> <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:55:41 -0400, "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:
> >
> >>That is the memory I use on my A7N8x-E. Two sticks, run asdouble
channel,
> >>and they work perfectly.

>>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo....
0X64C3AK2/1G

> >Are you running a XP 3200+ at 200mhz, 100% FSB?
> >
> >tnx

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2004 2:13:04 AM

On Sat, 1 May 2004 01:51:31 -0400, "Paul E. LePage"
<Paul1@chartermi.net> wrote:

>Kingston sending me 2 sticks of KVR400X64C3AK2, their engineers say it will
>work for me. We'll see if it works-if not I think I'll try Crucial/Micron.
>I'll let you know how it works on Monday. Any idea what Crucial part number?

That is the model number of stick I am having the dual channel problem
with. Right now I have it running single off of one of them at 196mhz
clock. I'm going up in 1 mhz steps until I get it to fail to run.

I'm wondering what to do next if I get both of them to run 197mhz, or
so single, but no more than 180mhz dual channel????
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2004 2:34:32 AM

>I'm wondering what to do next if I get both of them to run 197mhz, or
>so single, but no more than 180mhz dual channel????

Run them both single channel(first 2 slotts) if you can. Dual channel
is great on paper but in real life not so much. Having your Sandra RAM
scores go up 4% means very little to most users.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2004 6:12:59 AM

On Sat, 01 May 2004 22:34:32 GMT, Andrew J <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
wrote:

>>I'm wondering what to do next if I get both of them to run 197mhz, or
>>so single, but no more than 180mhz dual channel????
>
>Run them both single channel(first 2 slotts) if you can. Dual channel
>is great on paper but in real life not so much. Having your Sandra RAM
>scores go up 4% means very little to most users.

I installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost cooler an I now have it running
well at 185. I had it at 190 for about three hours, then started a
google search and it did a reboot on me. I'm think I will try upping
the core and ram voltages next.

Are those clip on, aftermarket ram heat sinks like Thermaltake worth
it? My mother board is currently 22c/71f according to ASUS Probe.

tnx
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2004 12:43:57 AM

Hi, I finally got mine to run 200mhz FSB. Tried the same Kingston;
KVR400X64C3AK2/1G that you have. Kingston engineers said it should work ok--
Runs at 200, but is visibly slower than the old Kingston I had, even running
in dual channel. Decided to try Cosair (on ASUS QVL) CMX512-3200C from
MWAVE, their part number BA08584, so far its running GREAT at 200mhz, dual
channel, set 8,3,3,2.5. Athlon XP3200 A OK at 2200mhz. Will run memtest86
and benchmark next week-I'll post results. Good Luck! Paul

> On Sat, 01 May 2004 22:34:32 GMT, Andrew J <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
> wrote:
>

> >>I'm wondering what to do next if I get both of them to run 197mhz, or
> >>so single, but no more than 180mhz dual channel????
> >
> >Run them both single channel(first 2 slotts) if you can. Dual channel
> >is great on paper but in real life not so much. Having your Sandra RAM
> >scores go up 4% means very little to most users.
>

> I installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost cooler an I now have it running
> well at 185. I had it at 190 for about three hours, then started a
> google search and it did a reboot on me. I'm think I will try upping
> the core and ram voltages next.
>
> Are those clip on, aftermarket ram heat sinks like Thermaltake worth
> it? My mother board is currently 22c/71f according to ASUS Probe.
>
> tnx
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2004 6:48:47 AM

I am beginning to get the feeling that I am going to have to spring
for the Corsair or something equivalent also.

On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:43:57 -0400, "Paul E. LePage"
<Paul1@chartermi.net> wrote:

>Hi, I finally got mine to run 200mhz FSB. Tried the same Kingston;
>KVR400X64C3AK2/1G that you have. Kingston engineers said it should work ok--
>Runs at 200, but is visibly slower than the old Kingston I had, even running
>in dual channel. Decided to try Cosair (on ASUS QVL) CMX512-3200C from
>MWAVE, their part number BA08584, so far its running GREAT at 200mhz, dual
>channel, set 8,3,3,2.5. Athlon XP3200 A OK at 2200mhz. Will run memtest86
>and benchmark next week-I'll post results. Good Luck! Paul
>

>"Ron Todd" <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote in message

>> >Run them both single channel(first 2 slotts) if you can. Dual channel
>> >is great on paper but in real life not so much. Having your Sandra RAM
>> >scores go up 4% means very little to most users.
>>

>> I installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost cooler an I now have it running
>> well at 185. I had it at 190 for about three hours, then started a
>> google search and it did a reboot on me. I'm think I will try upping
>> the core and ram voltages next.
>>
>> Are those clip on, aftermarket ram heat sinks like Thermaltake worth
>> it? My mother board is currently 22c/71f according to ASUS Probe.
>>
>> tnx

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2004 9:24:06 AM

<Paul1@chartermi.net> wrote:

>Hi, I finally got mine to run 200mhz FSB. Tried the same Kingston;
>KVR400X64C3AK2/1G that you have. Kingston engineers said it should work ok--
>Runs at 200, but is visibly slower than the old Kingston I had, even running
>in dual channel. Decided to try Cosair (on ASUS QVL) CMX512-3200C from
>MWAVE, their part number BA08584, so far its running GREAT at 200mhz, dual
>channel, set 8,3,3,2.5. Athlon XP3200 A OK at 2200mhz. Will run memtest86
>and benchmark next week-I'll post results. Good Luck! Paul
>

>"Ron Todd" <rltodd@ix.netcom.nospam.com> wrote in message

>> >Run them both single channel(first 2 slotts) if you can. Dual channel
>> >is great on paper but in real life not so much. Having your Sandra RAM
>> >scores go up 4% means very little to most users.
>>

>> I installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost cooler an I now have it running
>> well at 185. I had it at 190 for about three hours, then started a
>> google search and it did a reboot on me. I'm think I will try upping
>> the core and ram voltages next.
>>
>> Are those clip on, aftermarket ram heat sinks like Thermaltake worth
>> it? My mother board is currently 22c/71f according to ASUS Probe.
>>
>> tnx

Bit the bullet and bought the Corsair 3200LL set. It has been running
rather nicely for the last six hours at 197/197. I had it at 200 for
about an hour and then got a hang. I got a strange message back from
MS crash analysis about the ATI driver being a problem and upgraded
that from the ati site. Tomorrow I might step it back up to 200 and
see if it will hold. I conclude that this board did not like the
Kingston memory and I have an "issue" with Mwave.com.

Tnx for the help.
!