LG CD-RW 8520B Problem

Hi there,

Tonight I had a problem with this drive. Whilst installing software using
this drive (F: on my XP Pro system) there was a loud bang and then I
discovered that the disc inside this drive was smashed. I need to know what
I can do to remedy the situation.

I have an LG DVD-ROM GDR8161B as my E: drive (mounted above this one).
These are both located in a tower system above (I assume) my two hard
drives. This system is approx. 1 year old and I think still under warranty
(by a matter of days).

I need to know what I can to clear my problem CD-RW F: CD-RW drive. I think
there is about one-half of a CD-ROM still inside the computer. I assume
this is an enclosed case for this drive (but I can't find documentation on
www.lge.com to support this). The computer seems to be running fine apart
from this. However, the drive door will only open about 1" from the tower
and my concern is with pieces from the CD-ROM falling into the rest of the
system below. If I look at my tower, the top slot is blank, the DVD drive
is next from top, then a blank, and below that the problem CD-RW drive (F:).
Next is my floppy a: drive. I expect the two hard drives are below this
assembly at the lower half of the unit.

Is there a way in which I can safely open up the case on this tower AMD
Athlon 2100+ clone-type system to check and remove the offending pieces of
CD-ROM? I will need detailed instructions as I have never attempted
anything like this before. Unfortunately I am unable to contact the vendor
at this time for steps to follow (if appropriate due to possible warranty
issue).

The DVD drive (top at E:) is functioning fine as are all other parts of this
system (so far as I can tell).

So, any and all comments most welcome. I appreciate all help here. Thanks
in advance.

Lynn
manxcat@sympatico.ca

Sandman

I saw a CD that had disintegrated inna drive; guy had it in an envelope
and asked a few questions. Doubt this is common, but i know it can happen
due to the anomalies of harmonics inna high speed drive (i too, have that
same drive 8520) LG makes great drives. certainly not the fault of the drive
itself; the disc probably had a slight defect...I have had new, blank discs
that made a lot of noise when first inserted because they were imperfect;
tossed them, it is not common but happens. Freaky, huh?
the remaining pieces are still inside the LG, most certainly, because it
is an enclosed piece of hardware. DO NOT attempt to open the LG drive case
itself, it will void any warranty you might have..I have no direct knowledge
of this, but it is very possible the LG drive has been damaged beyond use by
that disc shattering in the drive because of the lens etc inside. The safest
thing to try if you feel comfortable doing so, is to remove the Lg from the
computer case in the half-open positiion you indicate (the tray) and gently
shake the drive to see if you can dislodge the pieces. Don't put any tools
inside the drive to retrieve the piece(s) or try to force the tray; it is
jammed.
Or get a computer shop to attempt this (they will probably tell you you need
a new drive..But this may also be the truth..
If you have never opened a computer case or are not o.k. with doing so
(or unhooking the drive and the screws that hold it) DON'T do it....Those
drives are very cheap now because everyone wants DVD burners. If you can
afford to, I would buy a new drive, or better still, get an LG 4081b DVD
burner, they are cheap too and you can also, of course, burn CDs on them.