A7A266 , Bios 1013 & Athlon XP 2800+

I've seen mentions of a beta version of BIOS
1013 for the Asus A7A266 motherboard, and that
this new version enables the motherboard to
support CPUs up to the XP 2800+.

Has anyone here installed this BIOS, and successfully
upgraded their CPU to the 2800+? I'm very
curious to know, since I'd like to soon perform
the same upgrade myself.

Cheers,

P.
2 answers Last reply
More about a7a266 bios 1013 athlon 2800

    "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've seen mentions of a beta version of BIOS
    > 1013 for the Asus A7A266 motherboard, and that
    > this new version enables the motherboard to
    > support CPUs up to the XP 2800+.
    >
    > Has anyone here installed this BIOS, and successfully
    > upgraded their CPU to the 2800+? I'm very
    > curious to know, since I'd like to soon perform
    > the same upgrade myself.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > P.

    As a satsified owner of an A7A266 with a 1.2G CPU and not trying to be
    difficult but I must ask if this is really the best way to get better
    performance. The A7A AliMagik chipset is not high-performance and the A7A is
    obsolete. I would examine other MB options in searching for improved
    performance. This is just a suggestion since I don't know your system, needs
    and budget.

    Billh

    "billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message:

    > As a satsified owner of an A7A266 with a 1.2G CPU and not trying to be
    > difficult but I must ask if this is really the best way to get better
    > performance. The A7A AliMagik chipset is not high-performance and the A7A is
    > obsolete. I would examine other MB options in searching for improved
    > performance. This is just a suggestion since I don't know your system, needs
    > and budget.

    I already have the motherboard in my machine and have no plans to
    upgrade a motherboard; I'd rather wait a year or two, especially as
    we're on the cusp of several new PC technologies (Serial ATA disks,
    PCI express motherboards & graphics cards, high-speed LCD displays,
    Windows Longhorn, etc), and then just get a new machine.

    So I aim to get the best from my current machine in the meantime, and
    an upgrade to almost 3GHz would be great. My current CPU (1800+) is
    good enough for most purposes, but recent games require even higher
    CPUs (Vietcong, for example, has an abysmal framerate even with my
    Radeon 9800 Pro).

    Anyway, if anyone has info about upgrading to 2800+ that would be
    great; otherwise, I'll just settle for 2600+.

    Cheers,

    P.

Asus BIOS Motherboards Windows XP