A7V266-E "inaccessible boot device" with Win2000

Hi,

I have the A7V266-E motherboard with Athlon 1600+. Everything ran fine for
2+ years with it under win2k. I recently had to reformat the WD 40 GB HDD in
it and now I get the blue screen of death with "inaccessible boot device"
when I try to reload win2k. I tried other HDD and OS and got the same thing.
I tried resetting the bios defaults, changing IDE cables, switching the IDE
connector on the motherboard, updating BIOS, etc. w/o luck.

And I dropped the HDD that was in it into another computer and it booted
fine. But it won't boot on the above machine. So it doesn't seem to be a HDD
issue, but a motherboard issue.

Any clues? TIA for the help.

I might be spitting in the dark but I think that if you are installing
Windows 2000, it doesn't have the promise controller drivers on it.
You will have to use the install disk that came with the motherboard
and copy the promise drivers and the oem file to a floppy and during
the install setup hit F6 to install the third party drivers. Worth a
try

V/R Jim Johnston