cannot format a network drive -error message

trying to reformat my hard drive and using format.com - i
get the above error message ... any ideas???

You may not be able to re-format the boot drive (C:) from with-in Windows
XP. You must use the XP install CD, as per the previous response suggests.

Y.

"m" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> trying to reformat my hard drive and using format.com - i
> get the above error message ... any ideas???

"m" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> trying to reformat my hard drive and using format.com - i
> get the above error message ... any ideas???

Which drive are you trying to format? Drive C:? Trying
to cut off the branch you're sitting on?

If you want a clean installation then you must boot
your machine with your WinXP CD, then select "format"
when prompted.