Help with CPU upgrade for Sony PCV-R522DS

I'm trying to upgrade my Sony PCV-R522DS from a PII to PIII which Sony
said was compatable on their website. When I put the chip in the
computer would not boot - just dead. Replace the old cpu & everything
is fine. My computer specs are below along with the upgrade CPU
specs. Any ideas on why it won't work? Do I just need a BIOS upgrade
(which I have not done)?

BIOS Date: 05/26/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 05/26/99-i440BX-P2B
OEM Sign-On: ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: Unknown
OS: WinXP
CPU: Pentium® II With On-Die L2 Cache 467 MHz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
Memory Installed: 191 MB

Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.3 GHz, 256K L2 Cache Processor -
OEM
Specification
Model: Intel Celeron
Core: Tualatin
Operating Frequency: 1.3 GHz
FSB: 100MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/256K
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 370
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE
Packaging: OEM (Processor only)

asrjcb
14 answers Last reply
More about help upgrade sony r522ds

    In article <b60c87bc.0404301744.65084fd2@posting.google.com>,
    asrjcb@earthlink.net (James C. Brogan) wrote:

    > I'm trying to upgrade my Sony PCV-R522DS from a PII to PIII which Sony
    > said was compatable on their website. When I put the chip in the
    > computer would not boot - just dead. Replace the old cpu & everything
    > is fine. My computer specs are below along with the upgrade CPU
    > specs. Any ideas on why it won't work? Do I just need a BIOS upgrade
    > (which I have not done)?
    >
    > BIOS Date: 05/26/99
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    > BIOS ID: 05/26/99-i440BX-P2B
    > OEM Sign-On: ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
    > Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    > Superio: Unknown
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: Pentium® II With On-Die L2 Cache 467 MHz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
    > BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
    > Memory Installed: 191 MB
    >
    > Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.3 GHz, 256K L2 Cache Processor -
    > OEM
    > Specification
    > Model: Intel Celeron
    > Core: Tualatin
    > Operating Frequency: 1.3 GHz
    > FSB: 100MHz
    > Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/256K
    > Voltage: 1.5V
    > Process: 0.13Micron
    > Socket: Socket 370
    > Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE
    > Packaging: OEM (Processor only)
    >
    > asrjcb

    When a motherboard is "just dead" like that, it means the Vcore
    regulator on the motherboard isn't capable of honouring a request
    for 1.5V. The Vcore regulator shuts down, to prevent damage to
    the processor.

    On my motherboard, part of the solution to using a Tualatin, was
    to change the voltage regulator chip from an ACB to a BCB part.

    There can be pinout issues with the Tualatin as well, and an
    old socket 370 design might need some modding to use it. That
    would include a number of older slockets - some Googling might
    dig up references on how to modify them for a Tualatin.

    Since my motherboard was a Slot 1, an Upgradeware.com Slot-T
    for roughly $25, performed the necessary interface changes,
    including a voltage translation chip for some of the
    signals. My soldering of a new voltage regulator chip was needed
    to make this cheap solution work - otherwise I would have needed
    a Powerleap slot 1 adapter. Considering the cost of incidentals
    needed to do the mod, this is better done by someone dedicated
    to modding, like the author of the p2bmod site.

    Some references:

    "How do I find out which voltage regulator chip..."
    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    (Adapter if your motherboard had the right voltage regulator.
    They also make an S370 adapter, the 370GU.)
    http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/slott.htm

    (Slot 1 adapter which has the correct voltage regulator built-in.
    Only available if you buy a processor at the same time as the
    adapter purchase. Still pretty cheap compared to other alternatives,
    such as 1GHz Coppermine slot-1's from Ebay.)

    http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    James C. Brogan wrote:
    > I'm trying to upgrade my Sony PCV-R522DS from a PII to PIII which Sony
    > said was compatable on their website. When I put the chip in the
    > computer would not boot - just dead. Replace the old cpu & everything
    > is fine. My computer specs are below along with the upgrade CPU
    > specs. Any ideas on why it won't work? Do I just need a BIOS upgrade
    > (which I have not done)?
    >
    > BIOS Date: 05/26/99
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    > BIOS ID: 05/26/99-i440BX-P2B
    > OEM Sign-On: ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
    > Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    > Superio: Unknown
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: Pentium® II With On-Die L2 Cache 467 MHz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
    > BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
    > Memory Installed: 191 MB
    >
    > Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.3 GHz, 256K L2 Cache Processor -
    > OEM
    > Specification
    > Model: Intel Celeron
    > Core: Tualatin
    > Operating Frequency: 1.3 GHz
    > FSB: 100MHz
    > Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/256K
    > Voltage: 1.5V
    > Process: 0.13Micron
    > Socket: Socket 370
    > Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE
    > Packaging: OEM (Processor only)
    >
    > asrjcb

    You are attempting an upgrade to a Tualatin processor (not a PIII
    processor), which your current BIOS does not support.

    Your motherboard is an OEM version of the Asus P2B (P2B-AE). AFAIK Sony
    has not published a Tualatin-capable BIOS for your motherboard, but it
    may be possible to use a BIOS for the P3B-1394:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=30162942.21a6d459%40usw-ex0106-045.remarq.com

    According to the above post, the P3B-1394 BIOS supports PIII processors
    on your motherboard, but Tualatin support remains an unknown. The latest
    P3B-1394 BIOS is here:

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/P3B-1394/

    However, I would not recommend trying it unless you have some means of
    recovering from a bad flash, such as BIOS Savior or a spare BIOS chip.

    HTH

    P2B

    P2B wrote:

    > James C. Brogan wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to upgrade my Sony PCV-R522DS from a PII to PIII which Sony
    >> said was compatable on their website. When I put the chip in the
    >> computer would not boot - just dead. Replace the old cpu & everything
    >> is fine. My computer specs are below along with the upgrade CPU
    >> specs. Any ideas on why it won't work? Do I just need a BIOS upgrade
    >> (which I have not done)?
    >>
    >> BIOS Date: 05/26/99
    >> BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    >> BIOS ID: 05/26/99-i440BX-P2B
    >> OEM Sign-On: ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
    >> Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    >> Superio: Unknown
    >> OS: WinXP
    >> CPU: Pentium® II With On-Die L2 Cache 467 MHz
    >> BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
    >> BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
    >> Memory Installed: 191 MB
    >>
    >> Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.3 GHz, 256K L2 Cache Processor -
    >> OEM
    >> Specification
    >> Model: Intel Celeron
    >> Core: Tualatin
    >> Operating Frequency: 1.3 GHz
    >> FSB: 100MHz
    >> Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/256K
    >> Voltage: 1.5V
    >> Process: 0.13Micron
    >> Socket: Socket 370
    >> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE
    >> Packaging: OEM (Processor only)
    >>
    >> asrjcb
    >

    > You are attempting an upgrade to a Tualatin processor (not a PIII
    > processor), which your current BIOS does not support.
    >
    > Your motherboard is an OEM version of the Asus P2B (P2B-AE). AFAIK Sony
    > has not published a Tualatin-capable BIOS for your motherboard, but it
    > may be possible to use a BIOS for the P3B-1394:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=30162942.21a6d459%40usw-ex0106-045.remarq.com
    >

    > According to the above post, the P3B-1394 BIOS supports PIII processors
    > on your motherboard, but Tualatin support remains an unknown. The latest
    > P3B-1394 BIOS is here:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/P3B-1394/
    >
    > However, I would not recommend trying it unless you have some means of
    > recovering from a bad flash, such as BIOS Savior or a spare BIOS chip.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > P2B

    .... and as Paul has quite correctly pointed out, even if you are able to
    flash a suitable BIOS, your motherboard may not be able to supply the
    correct voltage for a Tualatin processor - in which case you will need
    to use a Powerleap adapter or replace the voltage regulator chip.

    P2B

    If the CPU I'm trying to upgrade to is not compatible - then what is
    or where would I find this out? Sony tech support is useless - they
    said this processor would work.

    Thanks for all the help.

    asrjcb

    In article <b60c87bc.0405010732.4abf5e20@posting.google.com>,
    asrjcb@earthlink.net (James C. Brogan) wrote:

    > If the CPU I'm trying to upgrade to is not compatible - then what is
    > or where would I find this out? Sony tech support is useless - they
    > said this processor would work.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help.
    >
    > asrjcb

    The Asus info basically covers placing a Slot 1 Intel module in
    a Slot 1 board, and a S370 FCPGA/FCPGA2 device in a socket 370
    board. The use of third party slockets is presumed to be documented
    by the maker of those products, and so guess work and reverse
    engineering has been used to fill in the gaps.

    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq.htm
    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq086_CPU_Upgrade_III.htm
    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq086b_CPU_Upgrade_III.htm

    The archived versions of these webpages are easier to read, as
    for some reason Asus tech support in Germany decided to toast
    the nice tables they used to have (presumably a squabble with
    head office about web pages formats and using a common format
    for all company web pages).

    http://web.archive.org/web/20020603042022/http://www.asuscom.de/support/techmain/FAQ/mobo_cpu/index.htm

    (Early archive.org archiving efforts broke the HTML links, so
    you need to hack the URLs by hand some times...)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20020603093711/www.asuscom.de/support/techmain/FAQ/mobo_cpu/faq086_CPU_Upgrade_III.htm

    Roland's FAQ is a restatement of some of the info in those
    pages.

    Powerleap has a compatibility database, but they could have taken
    better care of the contents, as frequently information is missing
    that might have helped reassure users the solution would work.
    Basically, what the BIOS supports is not adequately documented,
    and there were some issues with particular speeds of processors
    and particular versions of BIOS. Generally, taking the latest
    BIOS for a board, is the best you can do. In the case of OEM
    product, if BIOS support was dropped early in the life of the
    board, flashing with a retail BIOS is a risky gamble that might
    or might not work (a BIOS Savior is recommend if this is the
    first time someone has tried a particular combo of transplanted
    BIOS and motherboard).

    https://www.quickbase.com/db/6v74ue7a (old list)
    https://www.quickbase.com/db/6v74ue7a?a=q&qid=46 (iP3/T == Tualatin)

    http://www.powerleap.com/SystemSearch.html
    "We are sorry but the ASUS P2B-AE is not Compatible with our
    upgrades." That, presumably, is a statement about the BIOS
    situation.

    http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/compatibility.htm

    The info is out there, but each information source must be
    crossreferenced, to determine what the issues might be with
    a particular solution.

    When a Tualatin upgrade isn't in the cards, you can always
    look for a used slot 1 module on Ebay.

    HTH,
    Paul

    James C. Brogan wrote:
    > If the CPU I'm trying to upgrade to is not compatible - then what is
    > or where would I find this out? Sony tech support is useless - they
    > said this processor would work.

    It seems unlikely you'll get a definitive answer as to your CPU upgrade
    possibilities - after considerable searching all I learned is that
    precious little information is available.

    No BIOS updates appear to be available, although some users report
    successfully using the latest BIOS for the Asus P3B-1394 I mentioned in
    a previous post - but given it's release date, I doubt it includes
    Tualatin processor support. The IEEE1394 port may not work if you
    install the Asus BIOS since the P3B-1394 uses a TI chipset and I've read
    yours uses a Sony chipset.

    It seems likely you could upgrade to a Coppermine P3 Socket 370
    processor on a Slot-T adapter, running at 1.8v if the voltage regulator
    is unable to provide the 1.65-1.75v these processors nominally require.
    I was unable to determine if your existing BIOS supports Coppermine
    processors, but the Asus BIOS definitely does. Again, I would recommend
    obtaining a BIOS Savior or spare BIOS chip before experimenting with a
    non-Sony BIOS.

    Alternatively, you could go to unicore.com, run their "BIOS Agent", then
    submit the results and ask if there's anything they can do for you.

    http://unicore.com/biosagent/

    Do you have a BIOS flasher for your board? If so you could dump the
    existing BIOS to file and email it to me. I could tell you which
    processors it appears to support based on the microcode.

    P2B

    P2B,

    You said...

    >The most recent P3B-1394 BIOS (Nov 2001) supports all Coppermine P3s,
    but I >would avoid the 1.1Ghz just in case that BIOS has the same 11x
    multiplier bug
    >which was prevalent in Asus beta BIOSes of that era.

    Where can I get this BIOS? Link? BIOSMAN tells me the latest is
    ver.2003 dated August 2000.

    asrjcb

    James C. Brogan wrote:
    > P2B,
    >
    > You said...
    >

    >>The most recent P3B-1394 BIOS (Nov 2001) supports all Coppermine P3s,
    >
    > but I >would avoid the 1.1Ghz just in case that BIOS has the same 11x
    > multiplier bug
    >
    >>which was prevalent in Asus beta BIOSes of that era.
    >

    > Where can I get this BIOS? Link? BIOSMAN tells me the latest is
    > ver.2003 dated August 2000.
    >
    > asrjcb

    I posted the link in my first reply to this thread.

    P2B

    James C. Brogan wrote:

    > I'm trying to upgrade my Sony PCV-R522DS from a PII to PIII which Sony
    > said was compatable on their website. When I put the chip in the
    > computer would not boot - just dead. Replace the old cpu & everything
    > is fine. My computer specs are below along with the upgrade CPU
    > specs. Any ideas on why it won't work? Do I just need a BIOS upgrade
    > (which I have not done)?
    >
    > BIOS Date: 05/26/99
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    > BIOS ID: 05/26/99-i440BX-P2B
    > OEM Sign-On: ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
    > Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    > Superio: Unknown
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: Pentium® II With On-Die L2 Cache 467 MHz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
    > BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
    > Memory Installed: 191 MB
    >
    > Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.3 GHz, 256K L2 Cache Processor -
    > OEM
    > Specification
    > Model: Intel Celeron
    > Core: Tualatin
    > Operating Frequency: 1.3 GHz
    > FSB: 100MHz
    > Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/256K
    > Voltage: 1.5V
    > Process: 0.13Micron
    > Socket: Socket 370
    > Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE
    > Packaging: OEM (Processor only)
    >
    > asrjcb

    For the archives:

    The OP and I worked together via email to complete the upgrade to his
    Sony PCV-R522DS system, which had an Asus P2B-AE motherboard (OEM board,
    similar to the P3B-1394) and Celeron 466Mhz processor.

    First we flashed the last beta BIOS for the P3B-1394. This BIOS works
    perfectly on the P2B-AE, supporting all onboard components including the
    firewire ports.

    We decided to go with an S370 PIII 1Ghz/133Mhz Coppermine processor and
    Slot-T adapter since the P2B-AE has an ICS9248-39 clock chip (150Mhz
    capable) and HIP6004BCB voltage regulator (Tualatin capable), but no
    BIOS support for Tualatin processors.

    The upgrade was partly successful - the processor ran at 750Mhz as there
    are no FSB jumpers or switches on the P2B-AE, and the FSB jumpers on the
    Slot-T were only effective for selecting between 66Mhz and 100Mhz FSB -
    the board ignored the 133Mhz setting and ran at 100Mhz.

    Next the OP picked up a P3B-1394 cheaply on eBay and swapped it in. This
    board has the FSB switches missing from the P2B-AE, and is able to run
    the 1Ghz/133Mhz processor at full rated speed.

    The P2B-AE board is now surplus to the OP's requirements, and he has
    offered to send it to me in consideration of my assistance. I plan to
    determine why the board does not honor the CPU's 133Mhz FSB request, fix
    it, and post details of the modification on my P2B site. I will also try
    a Tualatin processor on it, but don't really expect it to work due to
    lack of BIOS support.

    P2B

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    In article <NzMDc.2946$207.352044@news20.bellglobal.com>, P2B
    <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    <<snip>>

    > The upgrade was partly successful - the processor ran at 750Mhz as there
    > are no FSB jumpers or switches on the P2B-AE, and the FSB jumpers on the
    > Slot-T were only effective for selecting between 66Mhz and 100Mhz FSB -
    > the board ignored the 133Mhz setting and ran at 100Mhz.

    <<snip>>
    > P2B
    >
    > http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    Maybe only one of the BSEL pins from the slot is wired to the clock
    gen ? I don't have a table of BSEL values handy, but it is possible
    that one of the BSEL pins is effectively always a zero and is not
    really wired to the processor.

    Sounds like you had fun, though. I bet your next report will be,
    it is running at 150MHz :-)

    Paul

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <NzMDc.2946$207.352044@news20.bellglobal.com>, P2B
    > <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > <<snip>>
    >

    >>The upgrade was partly successful - the processor ran at 750Mhz as there
    >>are no FSB jumpers or switches on the P2B-AE, and the FSB jumpers on the
    >>Slot-T were only effective for selecting between 66Mhz and 100Mhz FSB -
    >>the board ignored the 133Mhz setting and ran at 100Mhz.
    >>

    > <<snip>>
    >
    >>P2B
    >>
    >>http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod
    >

    > Maybe only one of the BSEL pins from the slot is wired to the clock
    > gen ? I don't have a table of BSEL values handy, but it is possible
    > that one of the BSEL pins is effectively always a zero and is not
    > really wired to the processor.

    I expect that's exactly what Asus did - leaving BSEL1 as a no connect
    would produce the observed behavior. When the board arrives, I plan to
    disconnect BSEL0 as well, then install switches to enable the full range
    of FSB settings supported by the clock chip, as Asus did on the P3B-1394.

    > Sounds like you had fun, though. I bet your next report will be,
    > it is running at 150MHz :-)
    >
    > Paul

    Does all this have to do with this info: http://tipperline.com/p2bmod or is
    this a different board. I was looking at this info the other day and
    considering building a Dos 6.22/Windows 95/Windows 98 system -w- a trios
    drive selector in it. Yes I know the dual cpu's wouldn't be used with the OS
    I mention but I also have other's I may use.
    ME

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:12:23 -0500, "ME" <dontbother@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Does all this have to do with this info: http://tipperline.com/p2bmod or is
    >this a different board. I was looking at this info the other day and
    >considering building a Dos 6.22/Windows 95/Windows 98 system -w- a trios
    >drive selector in it. Yes I know the dual cpu's wouldn't be used with the OS
    >I mention but I also have other's I may use.
    >ME

    I haven't seen the whole thread, so perhaps you won't find this post
    useful but I'll say it just in case it may help. I run a program
    called BootIT NG which allows you to boot multiple operating systems
    without buying the Trios Drive Selector.

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

    I have a Dos 6.22 partition, two Windows 98 systems, a Windows XP Pro
    and ready for a Mandrake Linux 10.0 install when I feel well enough to
    do it. It can hide the various partitions and drives from each install
    as you choose, so one OS can't even see the other partitions. It is a
    shareware program, so you get to try it first and make sure it'll do
    exactly what you desire before having to pay for it. They also run a
    free newsgroup support forum and I found plenty of people willing to
    answer questions. I also installed one of those removable hard drive
    bays which allows you to install/remove different drives without
    running an external USB/Firewire solution. The one I installed says it
    must be installed on the secondary IDE channel for some reason, so I
    couldn't use it to swap in different hard drives as the boot drive.
    That restriction may not be true of other models, so it might be worth
    researching as another alternative to the Trios. It wouldn't require
    using up three drive bays. This is the model I have just to show what
    it looks like.

    http://www.genica.com/Harddrives/gn-210.htm

    Hope this helps

    Hello "Capman"
    Thanks for your post. Sorry this reply was late, lot's of computer problems
    to deal with. The info is very helpful as the current version Trios wont
    work on newer systems and I wanted a Windows XP option. I've downloaded the
    software and will try it out shortly.
    Thanks
    ME

Asus BIOS CPUs Sony Motherboards