unknown CPU device

Recently my AMB Athlon 2600+ CPU died and I had another one fitted by a fully qualified engineer. However when it was fitted a message appeared "unknown CPU device" and now my computer shows it is running at a slower speed.

Can this be rectified without the motherboard being changed?

Hello
Did he install the same one (size) as the one that was in it.
Check the Bios, set the defaults.
You might need to do a repair install.

Hope This Helps
Haus
Not a MS-MVP
Not a MVP
Not nothing, just a good ole boy.
"abcMay2004" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my AMB Athlon 2600+ CPU died and I had another one fitted by a
fully qualified engineer. However when it was fitted a message appeared
"unknown CPU device" and now my computer shows it is running at a slower
speed.

> Can this be rectified without the motherboard being changed?

sue

No need to change the MoBo.

You need to get into the BIOS and set "CPU operating
Speed" to the correct CPU speed according to the type and
the speed of your new CPU that is installed. During the
boot, before the Windows welcome screen, you should see
in the lower right corner of the screen what key/s to
press to get into the BIOS Setup menu.

It's possible the speed defaulted to a lower speed due to
no AC power being applied to the MoBo for awhile, which
might be a sign that the CMOS battery is losing its
charging ability for the CMOS memory to hold the correct
processor speed.

I tried this but I could not change the settings in BIOS/CMOS screens. This was an option showing but could not be changed.

All it said on the screen was again "unknown CPU device".

Engineer has called back today with a replacement CPU but fitted exactly the same one again! Same problem. He says that because I had originally a 166 and they are trying to update it to a 333 this is where the problem arises.

I don't know what else to try!!

It usually means you are trying to put in a CPU which is incompatible with
your motherboard. Solution, upgrade the motherboard. I presume you are
talking about Front Side Bus speeds here when you talk about 166 and 333 -
at least I hope so.

You need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and find out
exactly what is the fastest CPU your motherboard can handle if you don't
want to upgrade the motherboard as well.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com