P4S8X-X Random Loss Of Graphics?

Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang. No
BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
though the monitor turned off.

My system is as follows:

Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
420W PSU
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with fans)
IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.

I have recently replaced the Graphics Card (Formerly Leadtek GeForce 4
4800SE), PSU (Formerly unbranded 350w) and the Corsair Memory is new too. I
have all the latest drivers installed from each of the manufacturers but
just can't seem to shake this problem.

I'm left think it's A) The Motherboard or B) A driver issue?

Any ideas?

TIA

RJ
5 answers Last reply
More about p4s8x random loss graphics

    In article <40930eee$0$31703$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>, "RJ"
    <anon@anon.com> wrote:

    > Every so often, when doing intense gaming (although sometimes in Windows
    > itself) my monitor will randomly go black and the whole system will hang. No
    > BSOD, no nothing. Just a "No Signal" message from my monitor, almost as
    > though the monitor turned off.
    >
    > My system is as follows:
    >
    > Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
    > 1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
    > MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
    > ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
    > 420W PSU
    > Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
    > Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with fans)
    > IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
    > Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.
    >
    > I have recently replaced the Graphics Card (Formerly Leadtek GeForce 4
    > 4800SE), PSU (Formerly unbranded 350w) and the Corsair Memory is new too. I
    > have all the latest drivers installed from each of the manufacturers but
    > just can't seem to shake this problem.
    >
    > I'm left think it's A) The Motherboard or B) A driver issue?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RJ

    You have to remember the history of this board.

    The original P4S8X motherboard had Vcore regulator problems. Expecially
    if using top end processors, like the 3.06GHz/533. At least five
    slightly different versions of that motherboard were produced, until
    Asus threw in the towel and moved to P4S8X-X model. (The differences
    were in the Vcore part of the circuit, different configs of
    electrolytic caps and so on.)

    The P4S8X-X, as near as I can tell by comparing pictures of the
    motherboard, is still using the same components in the Vcore regulator.
    One difference is, the new board is peppered with more plated copper
    holes, which are used to provide a lower resistance path for the
    large currents that flow to the processor. For many people, this
    seems to have improved the motherboard, but past owners of the
    P4S8X, simply wouldn't be interested in finding out whether this
    design fixed their issues or not. (And Asus will not swap a P4S8X-X
    for a P4S8X.)

    If you search on P4S8X-X over on the Abxzone forums, you may find
    people with similar symptoms to yours:

    http://abxzone.com/forums/search.php

    http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=55223

    If the root of the problem is Vcore, then first try disabling
    Hyperthreading, as that can cut 10 watts of power dissipation
    off the processor. Underclocking is another alternative
    (would work especially well if the board has an AGP/PCI lock,
    otherwise you'll have to search for a frequency which doesn't
    push the PCI past 37.5MHz instead of the normal 33MHz).

    If the root of the problem is related to Vagp, and if the board
    has an adjustment for the AGP I/O voltage, try setting it to 1.6V
    or 1.7V, instead of the nominal 1.5V. You can also try dropping
    the AGP speed to 4X, disable fast write, etc etc.

    (You could always sell this motherboard to someone with a slower
    processor, like a 2.4GHz/533, and I bet they would be very happy
    with it.)

    It is too bad Asus didn't do the right thing, and completely
    redo the Vcore circuit - it boggles the mind as to why they
    did, what they did.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote

    > (You could always sell this motherboard to someone with a slower
    > processor, like a 2.4GHz/533, and I bet they would be very happy
    > with it.)

    Thanks for the input Paul. I was aware of the P4S8X problems but hoped
    (after ASUS told me to walk) that there could be a solution other than
    underclocking or restricting my pretty high spec system's performance.

    I do have a second PC running a P4S8X-X witth a 2.8Ghz Celeron and GEF
    Ti4200 which never even skips a beat.

    If I were to cut my losses and ditch the P4S8X-X, what motherboard would you
    recommend based on my current hardware (relisted below).

    In article <4093f5d3$0$31682$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>, "RJ"
    <anon@anon.com> wrote:

    > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote
    >
    > > (You could always sell this motherboard to someone with a slower
    > > processor, like a 2.4GHz/533, and I bet they would be very happy
    > > with it.)
    >
    > Thanks for the input Paul. I was aware of the P4S8X problems but hoped
    > (after ASUS told me to walk) that there could be a solution other than
    > underclocking or restricting my pretty high spec system's performance.
    >
    > I do have a second PC running a P4S8X-X witth a 2.8Ghz Celeron and GEF
    > Ti4200 which never even skips a beat.
    >
    > If I were to cut my losses and ditch the P4S8X-X, what motherboard would you
    > recommend based on my current hardware (relisted below).
    >
    > > > Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
    > > > 1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
    > > > MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
    > > > ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
    > > > 420W PSU
    > > > Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
    > > > Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with fans)
    > > > IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
    > > > Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RJ

    If overclocking, a P4C800 (875) board. If running at stock
    speed, a P4P800 (865) based board. There is a thread over on
    Abxzone about AGP video artifacts when using a high overclock
    on a P4P800, which apparently don't happen on the P4C800 boards.
    You can read more details here:

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62275

    HTH,
    Paul

    I have the same motherboard and CPU as you have in the problem system
    and I have no problem with it, My Main Components below.

    ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
    Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
    ASUS V9280 GeForce 4 Ti4200-8X
    King-Max DDR 512mb
    Win XP Pro

    I suspect that the problem may be with the FX5900 AGP card, and I
    don't mean a fault with the card but rather it may not be compatible
    with the motherboard.

    Cheers
    Keith Holzapfel

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 20:09:03 +0100, "RJ" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

    >"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote
    >
    >> (You could always sell this motherboard to someone with a slower
    >> processor, like a 2.4GHz/533, and I bet they would be very happy
    >> with it.)
    >
    >Thanks for the input Paul. I was aware of the P4S8X problems but hoped
    >(after ASUS told me to walk) that there could be a solution other than
    >underclocking or restricting my pretty high spec system's performance.
    >
    >I do have a second PC running a P4S8X-X witth a 2.8Ghz Celeron and GEF
    >Ti4200 which never even skips a beat.
    >
    >If I were to cut my losses and ditch the P4S8X-X, what motherboard would you
    >recommend based on my current hardware (relisted below).
    >
    >> > Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
    >> > 1024MB Corsair TwinX RAM
    >> > MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT
    >> > ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
    >> > 420W PSU
    >> > Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
    >> > Thermaltake Xaser III Case (with fans)
    >> > IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 19inch CRT Monitor
    >> > Win XP Home (all latest patches) and No Screensavers enabled!.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >RJ

    eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
    Version 6.1.7.0
    ©2003 Computer Associates International, Inc
    Major dat file v4008
    Minor dat file v5386
    Macro data file Apr 15 2004 (VMD Ver 1.6)

    "yogi" <yogi@yellowstone.np> wrote

    > ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
    > Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
    > ASUS V9280 GeForce 4 Ti4200-8X
    > King-Max DDR 512mb
    > Win XP Pro
    >
    > I suspect that the problem may be with the FX5900 AGP card, and I
    > don't mean a fault with the card but rather it may not be compatible
    > with the motherboard.

    The 5900XT is brand new (Less than a week old). I bought it to replace a
    Leadtek GEForce 4 4800SE which I thought was the cause of my problems but it
    appears it wasn't.

    RJ
    http://www.alphastats.co.uk - Free Private Webs Stats

Asus Monitors Motherboards