Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Floppy Drive

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 3:13:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I can not access my floppy drive since changing to XP
home edition. It won't even format the floppy in the
drive. What can I do?

More about : floppy drive

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 5:59:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, Walter.

HOW have you tried to access or format your floppy drive? You don't by
chance have TweakUI installed, do you? If so, check to see that you don't
have Drive A: set to not display. Also, check in your BIOS settings to be
sure that you have the floppy drive properly activated.

To format a floppy in WinXP, click My Computer, then RIGHT-click on Drive
A:. (You'll need to have a diskette in the drive.) Note that you can make
an MS-DOS boot floppy from this menu, but it won't be able to read NTFS, of
course, and it won't be able to boot into WinXP. You CAN make a floppy that
will bypass the system partition and boot WinXP, but that's not what you
were asking.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Walter D" <wdavisjr@wans.net> wrote in message
news:7bf001c4313a$4b34eb40$a001280a@phx.gbl...
>I can not access my floppy drive since changing to XP
> home edition. It won't even format the floppy in the
> drive. What can I do?
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 2:49:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I can not access my floppy drive or format a floppy, via
the MY COMPUTER, since changing to XP home edition. It
won't even format the floppy in the drive. What can I do?
Right clicking on the Drive A does not work.
Please Help. I do not have weakUI.

Thanks
Walter

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, Walter.
>
>HOW have you tried to access or format your floppy
drive? You don't by
>chance have TweakUI installed, do you? If so, check to
see that you don't
>have Drive A: set to not display. Also, check in your
BIOS settings to be
>sure that you have the floppy drive properly activated.
>
>To format a floppy in WinXP, click My Computer, then
RIGHT-click on Drive
>A:. (You'll need to have a diskette in the drive.)
Note that you can make
>an MS-DOS boot floppy from this menu, but it won't be
able to read NTFS, of
>course, and it won't be able to boot into WinXP. You
CAN make a floppy that
>will bypass the system partition and boot WinXP, but
that's not what you
>were asking.
>
>RC
>--
>R. C. White, CPA
>San Marcos, TX
>rc@corridor.net
>Microsoft Windows MVP
>
>"Walter D" <wdavisjr@wans.net> wrote in message
>news:7bf001c4313a$4b34eb40$a001280a@phx.gbl...
>>I can not access my floppy drive since changing to XP
>> home edition. It won't even format the floppy in the
>> drive. What can I do?
>
>.
>
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 8:11:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, Walter.

I was hoping someone else would jump in with a solution. :>(

Does Drive A: appear at all in My Computer? Does Device Manager show a
Floppy Drive Controller? Does it show a Floppy Disk Drive?

You changed to WinXP Home Edition FROM what? Did this same hardware -
including the floppy drive - work before? Did you upgrade from Win9x/ME?
Or did you do a clean install? What is the make and model of your computer?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not a mind reader and I can't see your
computer. All I know about it so far is that it's running WinXP HE and the
floppy doesn't work. That's not much to go on! :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP


"Walter Davis" <wdavisjr@wans.net> wrote in message
news:9f9a01c4345b$a70f90e0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
>
> I can not access my floppy drive or format a floppy, via
> the MY COMPUTER, since changing to XP home edition. It
> won't even format the floppy in the drive. What can I do?
> Right clicking on the Drive A does not work.
> Please Help. I do not have weakUI.
>
> Thanks
> Walter
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi, Walter.
>>
>>HOW have you tried to access or format your floppy
> drive? You don't by
>>chance have TweakUI installed, do you? If so, check to
> see that you don't
>>have Drive A: set to not display. Also, check in your
> BIOS settings to be
>>sure that you have the floppy drive properly activated.
>>
>>To format a floppy in WinXP, click My Computer, then
> RIGHT-click on Drive
>>A:. (You'll need to have a diskette in the drive.)
> Note that you can make
>>an MS-DOS boot floppy from this menu, but it won't be
> able to read NTFS, of
>>course, and it won't be able to boot into WinXP. You
> CAN make a floppy that
>>will bypass the system partition and boot WinXP, but
> that's not what you
>>were asking.
>>
>>RC
>>
>>"Walter D" <wdavisjr@wans.net> wrote in message
>>news:7bf001c4313a$4b34eb40$a001280a@phx.gbl...
>>>I can not access my floppy drive since changing to XP
>>> home edition. It won't even format the floppy in the
>>> drive. What can I do?
!