Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pocket PC Lockups and battery life

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:17:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,
I am considering buying a Pocket PC but I have read that people have had
numerous lockups and losss of data, is this a common problem with the Pocket
PC?
Secondly, I will be travelling to Europe in the near future and want to be
able to have my PDA working for most of the time travelling. Is there a way
to change batteries on the move or will I also lose data on the battery
change? i.e. if I buy a second battery and have it for when the first one
dies, can I change the battery and then continue what I was doing on the
PDA?
Thanks for the input
Patrick
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:17:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Lockups are normally associated with software problems... the default
apps and most others should not produce "lockups"

Even if lockups occur, a soft reset will normally have you back to a
clean state in a few seconds with no loss of data.

PocketPC's use significantly more power than palms, so they use
rechargable batteries... most ship with ac chargers that will work on
any mains voltage so that all you need is a plug adapter to keep the
unit charged.

For traveling, it would be wise to purchase a 12v automotive adapter
along with an "airline" adapter to allow charging in flight or on the road.

Been traveling with a ppc's for four years and have yet to "change a
battery" but I do backup regularly just in case ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 9:20:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

My front runner in the Pocket PC PDA is the HP iPaq H2215. How long are
people getting on a charge with this model? Is there an airline charger for
this model?
Thanks for the help
Patrick

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:o z$VFXdTEHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Lockups are normally associated with software problems... the default
> apps and most others should not produce "lockups"
>
> Even if lockups occur, a soft reset will normally have you back to a
> clean state in a few seconds with no loss of data.
>
> PocketPC's use significantly more power than palms, so they use
> rechargable batteries... most ship with ac chargers that will work on
> any mains voltage so that all you need is a plug adapter to keep the
> unit charged.
>
> For traveling, it would be wise to purchase a 12v automotive adapter
> along with an "airline" adapter to allow charging in flight or on the
road.
>
> Been traveling with a ppc's for four years and have yet to "change a
> battery" but I do backup regularly just in case ;-)
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 2:26:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Patrick,

For what I can remember, the 2215 battery can hold for about 6 hours of
continuous use. But there are some tricks that can extend this time:

1. Switch off the automatic receival of Infrared beams.
2. Switch off bluetooth radio whenever you are not using it.
3. Lower down the screen backlight. Usually a level of half of the maximum
(or even lower) will be perfectly good for seeing. I have an iMate, which
has a screen with a similar luminance to that of the 2210, and I use the
screen backlight at the 20% level when on battery power. This gains me
almost 5 hours more over the 15 hours given by the iMate battery.

Anyway, as with any device that is on the road with you, it is important to
have backups.

Bev's suggestion on having a car power source is also very good. It is much
more comfortable than having to charge the device at home or at the office,
when you want to have it in your hands.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com


"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
news:F6xxc.15872$Fo4.209973@typhoon.sonic.net...
> My front runner in the Pocket PC PDA is the HP iPaq H2215. How long are
> people getting on a charge with this model? Is there an airline charger
for
> this model?
> Thanks for the help
> Patrick
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:o z$VFXdTEHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Lockups are normally associated with software problems... the default
> > apps and most others should not produce "lockups"
> >
> > Even if lockups occur, a soft reset will normally have you back to a
> > clean state in a few seconds with no loss of data.
> >
> > PocketPC's use significantly more power than palms, so they use
> > rechargable batteries... most ship with ac chargers that will work on
> > any mains voltage so that all you need is a plug adapter to keep the
> > unit charged.
> >
> > For traveling, it would be wise to purchase a 12v automotive adapter
> > along with an "airline" adapter to allow charging in flight or on the
> road.
> >
> > Been traveling with a ppc's for four years and have yet to "change a
> > battery" but I do backup regularly just in case ;-)
> >
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:37:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Automotive 12v chargers will work in airlines (those that have power taps)

American uses the same plug that your car has and radio shack has an
airline to car plug adapter for $14

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:28:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Patrick,

Short answers, with the iPAQ 2210 in mind:

NO not with the major software producers.
YES no problem swapping batteries when one gets low, the unit has a limited
amount of power in a backup battery (myseriously undocumented) for this
purpose.

Long answers to help you make your mind up and do the iPAQ hard sell as I am
astounded by how useful mine has been.

I have been using an iPAQ 2210 for the last 6 months on a daily basis and
THE major factor for me vs Palm and other PPCs was the swapable rechargable
battery. Re Lockups: I have only had lockups when using 3rd Party
Apps/Freeware (if you tinker as I am want - you take the risk, as I am
want!), in which case a simple soft reset normally gets you back running in
under a minute. Main stream software - no problem, including running TT3
GPS Navigator software (awesome) to get from A-B, whilst simultaneously
playing MP3's through a tape adapter in the car! Of course you will read
the horror stories in these forums - but to my mind these forums are
frequented by the tinkerers and IT savy that push the limits and are not
afraid to load up valuable Freeware etc. Not many forums dedicated to the
quiet but happy users...

To address the potential loss of data issue, a concern for all PDA users I'm
sure - or at the least a concern that it runs 'dry' just when you need it,
Sprite Backup (purchased the upgrade for a few quid), runs daily and in less
than 2 minutes backs up my entire memory image onto my permanently installed
CF Card. Never had to use the backup image yet (of which I keep 2 days
worth of alternating images on the internal CF at any one time - approx 10MB
per piece) but when testing the restore function it is just as quick as the
backup. Incidentally if the iPAQ runs 'dry' you WILL lose all your
installed s/w, contacts, tasks etc, it depends on volatile RAM
unfortunately. The iPAQ has a not at all well documented 'Backup Battery',
that has always sat at 100% on my machine but my understanding is that the
Backup Batt's sole purpose in life is simply to give you enough power to
switch of and swap a dying main battery out for a good one. So if the main
battery has died I would imagine the backup battery follows minutes later...
Note that Sprite Backup offers the facilty to automatically run a backup at
a set battery percentage, very useful but I do not trust it so rely on
scheduled daily backups.

Bottom line is keep charged up and a car kit does that job more than
adequately for my needs when 'on-the-road'. When I am really down-route ie.
away from conventional AC power, I have been known to use the iPAQ for
watching DVD movies (sometimes even let the kids watch) which compress to
about 128MB per movie and are stored on 'the other' slower SD card; with
this and using the GPS I am very familiar with power-drain! To address this
issue a couple of ideas to assist:

a) You could carry a conventional spare charged 900mAh battery (you can
charge it via a very neat built in spare slot on the Docking Station, or via
a 12v car kit cigarette lighter adapter, or 'worst case' an ACAnywhere
adapter (approx £60 GBP converts 11-15v dc to 230 ac), a bulky but useful
bit of kit).

b) Carry a high capacity 3600mAh battery (an 'oversized extended use
battery' that you can quickly swap - as long as the unit is powered down at
the swap - with the normal battery). This is my preferred soln. The
extended life battery does NOT fit 'inside' the iPAQs battery bay it extends
out from it, it is approx 4-5 times the size of the internal battery -
imagine the battery being approx the same depth as the iPAQ itself but
5/8ths the frontal area, 'hanging' off the iPAQs back! However I find this
a more than acceptable soln for watching movies on the move/listening to MP3
etc, then back to the normal battery for routine daily portable 'normal' PDA
Ops!

Plenty of people have helped me out on such forums, hope this verbal is of
some use to you!

Best of British.

Ross

"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
news:yjvxc.15866$Fo4.209841@typhoon.sonic.net...
> Hi,
> I am considering buying a Pocket PC but I have read that people have had
> numerous lockups and losss of data, is this a common problem with the
Pocket
> PC?
> Secondly, I will be travelling to Europe in the near future and want to be
> able to have my PDA working for most of the time travelling. Is there a
way
> to change batteries on the move or will I also lose data on the battery
> change? i.e. if I buy a second battery and have it for when the first one
> dies, can I change the battery and then continue what I was doing on the
> PDA?
> Thanks for the input
> Patrick
>
>
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:28:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thankyou very much for the in debt answer, I am quite torn at present
between the 1945 and the 2215, seems the main flaw that I see in the 1945 is
the 2.5mm jack compared to the 2215 and it's 3.5mm jack. Otherwise I think
both units could fulfull my needs in a Pocket PC.
Something that I have seen in the PalmOne devices is that it can backup on
sync with it's cradle to a computer, is this also possible with the iPaq for
normal day to day work when I am not travelling?
Also how easy are spreads sheets to actually make (not just edit) on the
iPaq? I often like the idea of makng a quick spreadsheet to calculate on
while on the move, is this easy to do via the iPaq?
Where can I get a decent review or roundup of the iPaq's out there?
Thanks for all the help
Patrick


"Ross Mckenzie" <rossmck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 9snKjmTEHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Patrick,
>
> Short answers, with the iPAQ 2210 in mind:
>
> NO not with the major software producers.
> YES no problem swapping batteries when one gets low, the unit has a
limited
> amount of power in a backup battery (myseriously undocumented) for this
> purpose.
>
> Long answers to help you make your mind up and do the iPAQ hard sell as I
am
> astounded by how useful mine has been.
>
> I have been using an iPAQ 2210 for the last 6 months on a daily basis and
> THE major factor for me vs Palm and other PPCs was the swapable
rechargable
> battery. Re Lockups: I have only had lockups when using 3rd Party
> Apps/Freeware (if you tinker as I am want - you take the risk, as I am
> want!), in which case a simple soft reset normally gets you back running
in
> under a minute. Main stream software - no problem, including running TT3
> GPS Navigator software (awesome) to get from A-B, whilst simultaneously
> playing MP3's through a tape adapter in the car! Of course you will read
> the horror stories in these forums - but to my mind these forums are
> frequented by the tinkerers and IT savy that push the limits and are not
> afraid to load up valuable Freeware etc. Not many forums dedicated to the
> quiet but happy users...
>
> To address the potential loss of data issue, a concern for all PDA users
I'm
> sure - or at the least a concern that it runs 'dry' just when you need it,
> Sprite Backup (purchased the upgrade for a few quid), runs daily and in
less
> than 2 minutes backs up my entire memory image onto my permanently
installed
> CF Card. Never had to use the backup image yet (of which I keep 2 days
> worth of alternating images on the internal CF at any one time - approx
10MB
> per piece) but when testing the restore function it is just as quick as
the
> backup. Incidentally if the iPAQ runs 'dry' you WILL lose all your
> installed s/w, contacts, tasks etc, it depends on volatile RAM
> unfortunately. The iPAQ has a not at all well documented 'Backup
Battery',
> that has always sat at 100% on my machine but my understanding is that the
> Backup Batt's sole purpose in life is simply to give you enough power to
> switch of and swap a dying main battery out for a good one. So if the
main
> battery has died I would imagine the backup battery follows minutes
later...
> Note that Sprite Backup offers the facilty to automatically run a backup
at
> a set battery percentage, very useful but I do not trust it so rely on
> scheduled daily backups.
>
> Bottom line is keep charged up and a car kit does that job more than
> adequately for my needs when 'on-the-road'. When I am really down-route
ie.
> away from conventional AC power, I have been known to use the iPAQ for
> watching DVD movies (sometimes even let the kids watch) which compress to
> about 128MB per movie and are stored on 'the other' slower SD card; with
> this and using the GPS I am very familiar with power-drain! To address
this
> issue a couple of ideas to assist:
>
> a) You could carry a conventional spare charged 900mAh battery (you can
> charge it via a very neat built in spare slot on the Docking Station, or
via
> a 12v car kit cigarette lighter adapter, or 'worst case' an ACAnywhere
> adapter (approx £60 GBP converts 11-15v dc to 230 ac), a bulky but useful
> bit of kit).
>
> b) Carry a high capacity 3600mAh battery (an 'oversized extended use
> battery' that you can quickly swap - as long as the unit is powered down
at
> the swap - with the normal battery). This is my preferred soln. The
> extended life battery does NOT fit 'inside' the iPAQs battery bay it
extends
> out from it, it is approx 4-5 times the size of the internal battery -
> imagine the battery being approx the same depth as the iPAQ itself but
> 5/8ths the frontal area, 'hanging' off the iPAQs back! However I find
this
> a more than acceptable soln for watching movies on the move/listening to
MP3
> etc, then back to the normal battery for routine daily portable 'normal'
PDA
> Ops!
>
> Plenty of people have helped me out on such forums, hope this verbal is of
> some use to you!
>
> Best of British.
>
> Ross
>
> "Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
> news:yjvxc.15866$Fo4.209841@typhoon.sonic.net...
> > Hi,
> > I am considering buying a Pocket PC but I have read that people have
had
> > numerous lockups and losss of data, is this a common problem with the
> Pocket
> > PC?
> > Secondly, I will be travelling to Europe in the near future and want to
be
> > able to have my PDA working for most of the time travelling. Is there a
> way
> > to change batteries on the move or will I also lose data on the battery
> > change? i.e. if I buy a second battery and have it for when the first
one
> > dies, can I change the battery and then continue what I was doing on the
> > PDA?
> > Thanks for the input
> > Patrick
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 12:18:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Patrick,

For a biased account from an owner (Dale Coffin):

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?thr...

For a more objective look (CNET) at PDAs in general:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2001-3128_7-0.html?legacy=cnet

For 2215 read 2210 - they are identical, just one is an export version.

Yes Sprite Backup (upgrade to the new version, the included version is buggy
and less capable) will Backup to PC on syncronising should you so wish. I
prefer to have the backup in the unit on the CF personally.

Have not yet used the spreadsheet - but comes with pocket Excel and with a
3rd party app (or PPC2004 which is soon to be released as a free upgrade to
PPC2003) you can rotate apps to landscape mode - which I can see as most
beneficial for your spreadsheeting. Regarding input, included is a variety
of keyboards, from on screen qwerty, graffiti type and a handwriting
recogniser (not bad). 3rd party apps include SPB full keyboard to convert
the full screen to a touch screen qwerty. The usual addons such as clip on
keyboards, bluetooth keyboards, cradle keyboards etc are all available, just
check out expansys for the multitude of addons....

Don't forget the 2210/15 also has bluetooth and CF and SD card capability.

Regards

RMck,UK

"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
news:%23qtamAnTEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thankyou very much for the in debt answer, I am quite torn at present
> between the 1945 and the 2215, seems the main flaw that I see in the 1945
is
> the 2.5mm jack compared to the 2215 and it's 3.5mm jack. Otherwise I think
> both units could fulfull my needs in a Pocket PC.
> Something that I have seen in the PalmOne devices is that it can backup on
> sync with it's cradle to a computer, is this also possible with the iPaq
for
> normal day to day work when I am not travelling?
> Also how easy are spreads sheets to actually make (not just edit) on the
> iPaq? I often like the idea of makng a quick spreadsheet to calculate on
> while on the move, is this easy to do via the iPaq?
> Where can I get a decent review or roundup of the iPaq's out there?
> Thanks for all the help
> Patrick
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 4:53:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Patrick wrote:

> Hi,
> I am considering buying a Pocket PC but I have read that people have had
> numerous lockups and losss of data, is this a common problem with the
> Pocket PC?
> Secondly, I will be travelling to Europe in the near future and want to be
> able to have my PDA working for most of the time travelling. Is there a
> way to change batteries on the move or will I also lose data on the
> battery change? i.e. if I buy a second battery and have it for when the
> first one dies, can I change the battery and then continue what I was
> doing on the PDA?
> Thanks for the input
> Patrick

I would have to raise a flag here and say that the PocketPC devices I have
seen / owned are not rock solid. I don't run third party apps in general
(I only have TomTom). Even so I still suffer lockups and unresponsiveness.
It's easy to get used to it, but it does happen.

Let's take tonight as an example. My girlfriend wanted a quick game of
JawBreaker on my iPaq 4150. I passed it to her and it was dead. After a
few minutes charging it was OK again (upto about 30% after 5 minutes).
Luckily I hadn't lost anything. There's no reason to explain where all the
power went.

When I travelled around New Zealand for a month I mainly used replaceable
batteries in my iPaq 5450 (3 slim ones). It worked out OK (even for the 24
hour flight!). I did lose all my data on two occasions though for no
apparent reason. As people say, it's easy to restore from backup - just
make sure you do them regularly. You get plenty of time to swap over
batteries because it has a small internal battery. You can charge
batteries in the device or get an external charger (I use both).

I would contrast my PocketPC experience with my T68i mobile phone. It has
crashed about twice in the same 18 months that I have experienced at least
100 "soft" PocketPC crashes (that is, they required a simple re-boot). The
phone doesn't have a backup application because it doesn't need one (though
I do replicate it into Outlook every so often). I've had a hard crash of
the PocketPC about once every two months where I am forced to restore from
backup.

Please don't set your expectations too high. Having data on the PocketPC is
great, but you'll still need to print your travel plans on paper if you
don't want to come unstuck one day. You also may want to think about
security of your data - if you back all your contacts/calendar up onto a
removable card then someone can steal all your data quite easily.

Also I should mention that my iPaq 5450 needed replacing after a year of
fairly intense use. The power connector inside the device broke, the
finger print reader failed and it started permanently vibrating.

Hope it works out for you and that you have a good time travelling round
Europe.

David Bowen
York, England.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:03:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> Hope it works out for you and that you have a good time travelling round
> Europe.
>
> David Bowen
> York, England.

Sorry to respond to myself, but I should have mentioned how bad ActiveSync
is. You can find out by going to the microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync
newsgroup.

The main problem is that most things demand that you go through ActiveSync
to install them and there are a multitude of reasons that ActiveSync will
fail. Some newer applications are now shipping in a format that you can
install directly onto your PocketPC (and I believe there are some magic
third-party apps that can get over the ActiveSync limitation in some
cases).

Personally I use ActiveSync over WiFi and in the cradle at home. This is
fairly problematic. I also connect to the same Exchange Server at my house
over the Internet using the features in Exchange 2003. This is generally
very good. I connect to that over all sorts of IP connections (Bluetooth,
WiFi, GSM, Ethernet). Obviously Exchange Server is a bit over the top for
a single user, but it is very nice for this type of scenario (as it allows
me to replicate my data to more places -> safer data)

David
!