Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I can't access my modem from one of hard drive partitions
but works fine from the other. Conclude hardware is OK.

It worked fine before this weekend. Now I get the 633
message: can't open port. Sounds like a conflict. I've
removed and reinstalled the PNP modem and tried several
alternate COM ports with the same result. No conflict
indication shown in Device Manager.

Problem appeared after I tried to download photos (via USB
but to the other partition) and the camera battery died in
midstream.

I've run out of ideas.

BTW, how can I find COM and IRQ assignments like I was
able to do in Win95?

Greg

try re-installing the modem's driver.

and to find the irq assignments in xp go to the device manager
control panel--system---hardware tab---device manager button in middle on right hand side.

click on the top computer icon labeled "my computer"
then in the menus above click on view then scroll over devices by connection (irq) and click on it.
should give the listing of irq's with the devices assigned to each