Hard drive upgrade.What software to use

Victor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have and existing Win XP load and programs that I want to tranfer to a
larger drive. What program do you all recomend to transfer all files. I have
done it before, Win XP is more difficult so I'm asking for help before i get
started maybe i can make it less painfull.
TIA
VICTOR

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

why not install another hd?

"Victor" <victormartinez48@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have and existing Win XP load and programs that I want to tranfer to a
> larger drive. What program do you all recomend to transfer all files. I
have
> done it before, Win XP is more difficult so I'm asking for help before i
get
> started maybe i can make it less painfull.
> TIA
> VICTOR

Victor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to move my OS from my 40 gig to my new 160gig the drive will stay
installed for storage along with another 160gig

"anon" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message
> why not install another hd?
>
> "Victor" <victormartinez48@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have and existing Win XP load and programs that I want to tranfer to a
> > larger drive. What program do you all recomend to transfer all files. I
> have
> > done it before, Win XP is more difficult so I'm asking for help before i
> get
> > started maybe i can make it less painfull.
> > TIA
> > VICTOR

>I have and existing Win XP load and programs that I want to tranfer to a
>larger drive. What program do you all recomend to transfer all files. I have
>done it before, Win XP is more difficult so I'm asking for help before i get
>started maybe i can make it less painfull.
>TIA
>VICTOR

I like the utility that comes with WD drives.
http://support.wdc.com/download/
You can download it and use it as long as either drive is a WD drive.
it finds your unformatted drive in Windows. Asks if you want to set it
up. When done formatting a partioning it asks if you want to move your
old drive data to the new one and then boot with it. Does all this
inside Windows and only takes a few minutes. *Warning* I would not put
your OS on a partition that is 160GB's. I choose less than 8GB so when
you defrag for performace you aren't waiting all day long to use the
PC.

I would clone the drive using a program like Ghost or Drive Image.
--
Doug Ramage

> I want to move my OS from my 40 gig to my new 160gig the drive will stay
> installed for storage along with another 160gig
>
> "anon" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message
> > why not install another hd?
> >
> > "Victor" <victormartinez48@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I have and existing Win XP load and programs that I want to tranfer to
> > > larger drive. What program do you all recomend to transfer all files.
> > have
> > > done it before, Win XP is more difficult so I'm asking for help before
> > get
> > > started maybe i can make it less painfull.
> > > TIA
> > > VICTOR

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts