P4C800E Deluxe Intel SATA RAID vs. Promise SATA RAID

I keep seeing this question asked, but have not seen data from persons
who have tried both. I have 2 SATA Maxtor 80GB drives on the Promise
controller running RAID 0. MoBo BIOS is 1014. They run fine, but
people tell me to try the ICH5R and IAA as it is not on the PCI bus
and will run better.

My question is...has anyone confirmed this? Most say to use ICH5R as
it has to be better but have not tried the Promise. I guess I have the
problem the other way around...I am on Promise and wonder about the
ICH5R.

TIA
11 answers Last reply
More about p4c800e deluxe intel sata raid promise sata raid

    mpsan wrote:

    > I keep seeing this question asked, but have not seen data from persons
    > who have tried both. I have 2 SATA Maxtor 80GB drives on the Promise
    > controller running RAID 0. MoBo BIOS is 1014. They run fine, but
    > people tell me to try the ICH5R and IAA as it is not on the PCI bus
    > and will run better.
    >
    > My question is...has anyone confirmed this? Most say to use ICH5R as
    > it has to be better but have not tried the Promise. I guess I have the
    > problem the other way around...I am on Promise and wonder about the
    > ICH5R.

    I am using the ICH5R (two WD Raptors as Raid0), and I am quite happy
    with it. No, I have not tried the Promise :)

    Simply have a look at the numbers:

    Your SATA Maxtor drives have, depending on the exact type, a max
    transfer rate of about 55-60 MB/s. Take that x2 for Raid0, and you end
    up at about 110-120 MB/s theoretical maximum transfer rate under optimum
    conditions.

    The PCI bus is limited to 133MB/s. It is used by all the other
    components you have there - e.g. sound card, maybe you have a video
    editing card there, maybe you're using some other network card than the
    onboard CSA controller (e.g. wireless LAN), etc. etc.

    If you do not have ANY extra PCI card in use and if you use the onboard
    LAN, the Promise controller is OK, because the PCI bandwidth is no
    bottleneck for it. But IF you use other PCI cards, you're limiting the
    controller transfer rate to whatever is left after you subtract what all
    the other cards use up from the 133MB/s limit.

    One other things to remember is that I have heard (i.e. I have not
    experimented around myself) that the Intel controller has a lower CPU
    usage than the Promise one.

    To sum up: You probably won't notice much of a difference unless you
    have one or more bandwidth hungry PCI cards in your system. If you
    haven't, leave everything as it is - but if you ever reinstall your
    system, try the Intel controller.

    Heres a review of some southbridge raid controllers.

    http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=291

    Nice link. Pretty much the same benchmark I have in my p4p800, although I
    don't use raid, only single sata. I can testify that the cpu taxation of the
    ich5r on sata is only 2%, I recently got that result using hd tach, while
    the pata had 1%, so they perform basically the same since this difference
    falls between the test's measurement error.

    --
    "Pole Dome Guitar Religion"

    "Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Heres a review of some southbridge raid controllers.
    >
    > http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=291

    Thank you Bob.

    I have a dvd-ROM on Primary Master and a LiteON CD-RW on Secondary
    Master. Is it true that with the ICH5R you loose the Secondary onboard
    IDE Port? That would make my CD-RW go away.

    Bob Millers <rwg@festo.com> wrote in news:c75936$ig8ul$1@ID-
    202456.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > mpsan wrote:
    >
    >> I keep seeing this question asked, but have not seen data from
    persons
    >> who have tried both. I have 2 SATA Maxtor 80GB drives on the Promise
    >> controller running RAID 0. MoBo BIOS is 1014. They run fine, but
    >> people tell me to try the ICH5R and IAA as it is not on the PCI bus
    >> and will run better.
    >>
    >> My question is...has anyone confirmed this? Most say to use ICH5R as
    >> it has to be better but have not tried the Promise. I guess I have
    the
    >> problem the other way around...I am on Promise and wonder about the
    >> ICH5R.
    >
    > I am using the ICH5R (two WD Raptors as Raid0), and I am quite happy
    > with it. No, I have not tried the Promise :)
    >
    > Simply have a look at the numbers:
    >
    > Your SATA Maxtor drives have, depending on the exact type, a max
    > transfer rate of about 55-60 MB/s. Take that x2 for Raid0, and you end
    > up at about 110-120 MB/s theoretical maximum transfer rate under
    optimum
    > conditions.
    >
    > The PCI bus is limited to 133MB/s. It is used by all the other
    > components you have there - e.g. sound card, maybe you have a video
    > editing card there, maybe you're using some other network card than
    the
    > onboard CSA controller (e.g. wireless LAN), etc. etc.
    >
    > If you do not have ANY extra PCI card in use and if you use the
    onboard
    > LAN, the Promise controller is OK, because the PCI bandwidth is no
    > bottleneck for it. But IF you use other PCI cards, you're limiting the
    > controller transfer rate to whatever is left after you subtract what
    all
    > the other cards use up from the 133MB/s limit.
    >
    > One other things to remember is that I have heard (i.e. I have not
    > experimented around myself) that the Intel controller has a lower CPU
    > usage than the Promise one.
    >
    > To sum up: You probably won't notice much of a difference unless you
    > have one or more bandwidth hungry PCI cards in your system. If you
    > haven't, leave everything as it is - but if you ever reinstall your
    > system, try the Intel controller.

    You will loose one ide port if you use sata & win9x or winnt. Not the case
    on w2k/xp, on which you'll be able to use both ide channels & sata together

    --
    "Pole Dome Guitar Religion"

    "Dave" <empeaNOSPAM_3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you Bob.
    >
    > I have a dvd-ROM on Primary Master and a LiteON CD-RW on Secondary
    > Master. Is it true that with the ICH5R you loose the Secondary onboard
    > IDE Port? That would make my CD-RW go away.

    Very good tests. The ICH5R is not bad.

    courseyauto@aol.com (Courseyauto) wrote in

    > http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=291

    Yup, saw that in the manual...May try to put RAID0 on ICH5R. I have a
    64k stripe size now on the Promise.

    "pedro itriago" <73050.520nospam@compuserve.com> wrote in

    > You will loose one ide port if you use sata & win9x or winnt. Not the
    > case on w2k/xp, on which you'll be able to use both ide channels &
    > sata together
    >
    > --
    > "Pole Dome Guitar Religion"
    >

    > "Dave" <empeaNOSPAM_3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you Bob.
    >>
    >> I have a dvd-ROM on Primary Master and a LiteON CD-RW on Secondary
    >> Master. Is it true that with the ICH5R you loose the Secondary
    >> onboard IDE Port? That would make my CD-RW go away.

    Yup, saw that in the manual...May try to put RAID0 on ICH5R. I have a
    64k stripe size now on the Promise.

    "pedro itriago" <73050.520nospam@compuserve.com> wrote in

    > You will loose one ide port if you use sata & win9x or winnt. Not the
    > case on w2k/xp, on which you'll be able to use both ide channels &
    > sata together
    >
    > --
    > "Pole Dome Guitar Religion"
    >

    > "Dave" <empeaNOSPAM_3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you Bob.
    >>
    >> I have a dvd-ROM on Primary Master and a LiteON CD-RW on Secondary
    >> Master. Is it true that with the ICH5R you loose the Secondary
    >> onboard IDE Port? That would make my CD-RW go away.

    You dont have to use raid on the sata,but you do have to use a raid driver
    for the sata drive to be recognized. If you want only one sata drive on the
    ICH5R controller,you dont have to create a raid array but you do have to hit F6
    when installing the OS and install the raid driver.
    If you do it like that you will still have use of all your IDE ports.

    DOUG

    Doug, I do use RAID0 with the 2 SATA's on my Promise. I just said I
    could not add a non-raid PATA drive to my Promise as a 3rd drive.

    Also the loss of an IDE port was NOT in XP...I did not read far enough
    in the manual.

    > Yup, saw that in the manual...May try to put RAID0 on ICH5R. I have a
    > 64k stripe size now on the Promise.
    >

    > "pedro itriago" <73050.520nospam@compuserve.com> wrote in
    >
    >> You will loose one ide port if you use sata & win9x or winnt. Not the
    >> case on w2k/xp, on which you'll be able to use both ide channels &
    >> sata together
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Pole Dome Guitar Religion"
    >>

    >> "Dave" <empeaNOSPAM_3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thank you Bob.
    >>>
    >>> I have a dvd-ROM on Primary Master and a LiteON CD-RW on Secondary
    >>> Master. Is it true that with the ICH5R you loose the Secondary
    >>> onboard IDE Port? That would make my CD-RW go away.
    >

    > You dont have to use raid on the sata,but you do have to use a raid
    > driver
    > for the sata drive to be recognized. If you want only one sata drive
    > on the ICH5R controller,you dont have to create a raid array but you
    > do have to hit F6 when installing the OS and install the raid driver.
    > If you do it like that you will still have use of all your IDE
    > ports.
    >
    > DOUG

    >Doug, I do use RAID0 with the 2 SATA's on my Promise. I just said I
    >could not add a non-raid PATA drive to my Promise as a 3rd drive.

    >Also the loss of an IDE port was NOT in XP...I did not read far >enough
    >in the manual.

    I think you can still use the promise raid controller as an IDE drive
    controller,buyou still have to turn on the promise raid controller and set it
    fot ATA in the bios. DOUG

    Well, I did do that...no luck.

    >>Doug, I do use RAID0 with the 2 SATA's on my Promise. I just said I
    >>could not add a non-raid PATA drive to my Promise as a 3rd drive.
    >
    >>Also the loss of an IDE port was NOT in XP...I did not read far
    >>>enough in the manual.
    >

    > I think you can still use the promise raid controller as an IDE drive
    > controller,buyou still have to turn on the promise raid controller and
    > set it fot ATA in the bios. DOUG

Asus NAS / RAID SATA Motherboards