p4p800s se udma questions

I've a p4p800s se mobo and would like to use a wd400jb with it.
Unfortunately the bios recognize the wd only upto udma2 (ata33).
Is this normal?
How can I make maximum use of the ata100 disk while I only get udma2 ?
Or will win2k override this with a special driver ?

any hints appreciated.

ben

Billh

"Dombo" <bbubble62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've a p4p800s se mobo and would like to use a wd400jb with it.
> Unfortunately the bios recognize the wd only upto udma2 (ata33).
> Is this normal?
> How can I make maximum use of the ata100 disk while I only get udma2 ?
> Or will win2k override this with a special driver ?
>
> any hints appreciated.
>
> ben

Is it on the IDE channel by itself or is there another device with it. If
there is another device like a CD drive, try the WD by itself and see what
it shows.
Billh

Paul

Splendid

In article <qFflc.6598$ZJ5.334947@news20.bellglobal.com>, "billh"
<NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote:

> "Dombo" <bbubble62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've a p4p800s se mobo and would like to use a wd400jb with it.
> > Unfortunately the bios recognize the wd only upto udma2 (ata33).
> > Is this normal?
> > How can I make maximum use of the ata100 disk while I only get udma2 ?
> > Or will win2k override this with a special driver ?
> >
> > any hints appreciated.
> >
> > ben
>
> Is it on the IDE channel by itself or is there another device with it. If
> there is another device like a CD drive, try the WD by itself and see what
> it shows.
> Billh

Are you using an 80 wire cable (with 40 pin connectors on the ends) ?
The higher data transfer rates need the cable with the finer
wires on it. The 80 wire cable has every second wire grounded and
this improves signal transmission down the cable, at higher transfer
rates.

Paul

On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:42:24 -0500, Paul wrote:

> In article <qFflc.6598$ZJ5.334947@news20.bellglobal.com>, "billh"
> <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote:
>
>> "Dombo" <bbubble62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've a p4p800s se mobo and would like to use a wd400jb with it.
>>> Unfortunately the bios recognize the wd only upto udma2 (ata33).
>>> Is this normal?
>>> How can I make maximum use of the ata100 disk while I only get udma2 ?
>>> Or will win2k override this with a special driver ?
>>>
>>> any hints appreciated.
>>>
>>> ben
>>
>> Is it on the IDE channel by itself or is there another device with it. If
>> there is another device like a CD drive, try the WD by itself and see what
>> it shows.
>> Billh
>
> Are you using an 80 wire cable (with 40 pin connectors on the ends) ?
> The higher data transfer rates need the cable with the finer
> wires on it. The 80 wire cable has every second wire grounded and
> this improves signal transmission down the cable, at higher transfer
> rates.
>
> Paul

The WD is attached to the PRI_IDE1 port and has no other devices to it
attached.
And Yes, I'm using the 80 pin ribbon cable.
Should the UDMA4/5 mode be visible in the BIOS setup ?
In my case it ONLY goes to UDMA2, mobo has the latest f/w in it.
The WD400 has also been seet to ATA100 (via dlgudma util).

Any other idea's ?

-ben

Paul

Splendid

In article <1ja2ehih1x405.jvzpyz6u1obx.dlg@40tude.net>,
bbubble62@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:42:24 -0500, Paul wrote:
>
> > In article <qFflc.6598$ZJ5.334947@news20.bellglobal.com>, "billh"
> > <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote:
> >
> >> "Dombo" <bbubble62@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Is it on the IDE channel by itself or is there another device with it. If
> >> there is another device like a CD drive, try the WD by itself and see what
> >> it shows.
> >> Billh
> >
> > Are you using an 80 wire cable (with 40 pin connectors on the ends) ?
> > The higher data transfer rates need the cable with the finer
> > wires on it. The 80 wire cable has every second wire grounded and
> > this improves signal transmission down the cable, at higher transfer
> > rates.
> >
> > Paul
>
> The WD is attached to the PRI_IDE1 port and has no other devices to it
> attached.
> And Yes, I'm using the 80 pin ribbon cable.
> Should the UDMA4/5 mode be visible in the BIOS setup ?
> In my case it ONLY goes to UDMA2, mobo has the latest f/w in it.
> The WD400 has also been seet to ATA100 (via dlgudma util).
>
> Any other idea's ?
>
> -ben

I bet I know what is wrong. This is related to the BIOS settings:

"Onboard IDE Operate Mode" [Enhanced]
"IDE Port Settings" [S-ATA]

There was a report on Abxzone, that selecting Enhanced and a setting
other than S-ATA, leads to a slowdown. Don't be deceived by the
naming of the modes - the Asus BIOS is just a dumb design. There
aren't really six valid combinations of settings, although the
BIOS design would lead you to believe that is the case.

So, you can use [Compatible] and any of the three IDE Port
settings, but when in [Enhanced] mode, stick with the [S-ATA]
setting. That is my understanding right now, at least.

HTH,
Paul

On Mon, 03 May 2004 03:45:19 -0500, Paul wrote:

> In article <1ja2ehih1x405.jvzpyz6u1obx.dlg@40tude.net>,
> bbubble62@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:42:24 -0500, Paul wrote:

>>> Are you using an 80 wire cable (with 40 pin connectors on the ends) ?
>>> The higher data transfer rates need the cable with the finer
>>> wires on it. The 80 wire cable has every second wire grounded and
>>> this improves signal transmission down the cable, at higher transfer
>>> rates.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> The WD is attached to the PRI_IDE1 port and has no other devices to it
>> attached.
>> And Yes, I'm using the 80 pin ribbon cable.
>> Should the UDMA4/5 mode be visible in the BIOS setup ?
>> In my case it ONLY goes to UDMA2, mobo has the latest f/w in it.
>> The WD400 has also been seet to ATA100 (via dlgudma util).
>>
>> Any other idea's ?
>>
>> -ben
>
> I bet I know what is wrong. This is related to the BIOS settings:
>
> "Onboard IDE Operate Mode" [Enhanced]
> "IDE Port Settings" [S-ATA]
>
> There was a report on Abxzone, that selecting Enhanced and a setting
> other than S-ATA, leads to a slowdown. Don't be deceived by the
> naming of the modes - the Asus BIOS is just a dumb design. There
> aren't really six valid combinations of settings, although the
> BIOS design would lead you to believe that is the case.
>
> So, you can use [Compatible] and any of the three IDE Port
> settings, but when in [Enhanced] mode, stick with the [S-ATA]
> setting. That is my understanding right now, at least.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul,

Tnx, this was it, tnx again !

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <d9gx70482ovw.rz00ycmgdy4t$.dlg@40tude.net>, Dombo <bbubble62@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I've a p4p800s se mobo and would like to use a wd400jb with it.
>Unfortunately the bios recognize the wd only upto udma2 (ata33).
>Is this normal?
>How can I make maximum use of the ata100 disk while I only get udma2 ?
>Or will win2k override this with a special driver ?
>
>any hints appreciated.
>
>ben
Replace the cable with the 80 wire type (blue connector on one end)